Search Unity

Mortal Attack - 2D Action/Fighting w/ RPG elements, physics and lotsa blood (Android, Free)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by AlanGameDev, Sep 22, 2014.

1. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Hello there.

EDIT (12 oct 2015): A Windows build is available here (a little bit down).

(Disclaimer: viewer discretion is advised - the blood can be disabled in the game)

I have this game in the works and I was going to add IAPs to it but after 2 weeks trying I couldn't have Soomla working along with Google Play so I decided to release it for free with video ads instead.

It's a fighting game in which the fighters are launched in the air and they can either perform a move to hit the opponent or grab them and jerk them away, it has RPG elements and there are 8 races with different traits and you can level up and stuff, there are also 20 weapons, 10 'sharp' that stick to the enemy and cause damage when you hit the weapons while they're stuck, and 10 'blunt' that are basically dead weight and a safe thing to land on it; since weight is very important in the game, they are more useful that they seem, as long as your char has strength and weight to control them. There are also more than 200 armor parts, 8 'poses' and 8 'moves'.

There are tournaments which optionally allow or not weapons and armors, single fights and four 'baddies' you can kill to unlock more stuff.

I'm just testing it a little bit and I have to do the 'how to play' thing and the game will be ready to rock :).

Any input is appreciated.

1b.gif 2.gif 3b.gif 4.gif 5.gif

Update: quick guide:

update 2: beating the baddies:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    CrisisSystem likes this.
  2. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

6.gif 7.gif 8.gif 9.gif
    Moar images!

Kellyrayj likes this.
  3. TheValar

TheValar

lol this looks pretty ridiculous! In a good way of course ;)

KingLlama likes this.
  4. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

@TheValar: Heh. Thank you! The graphics are pixel-arty because I'm no good artist at all :>) and the effects aren't that good because it's for mobile and I want it to play smoothly even even on low-end devices.

5. Deozaan

Deozaan

The screenshots are so small it's hard to get an idea of what gameplay is like.

I'm currently working to implement IAP with Soomla in a game I'm working on and thus far it seems to be working (I haven't tried making real purchases yet). So maybe I could help you a bit with that. I'm in the IRC channel a lot (which is how I came across this link), so feel free to get my attention there about this, if you'd like.

Out of curiosity, what are you using to serve ads? I was hoping to use Soomla's Vungle plugin, but it's a bit outdated and broken at the moment.

6. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Hi Deozaan! Thank you for your reply!
    Yeah, those screenshots are kinda small, they're only intended to show the violence and gore which is what sells games nowadays hehehe. The gameplay is very simple actually: Two fighters are launched in the air on opposite directions and they do whatever they can to survive and hopefully deal some extra damage to their opponent.

I couldn't get Soomla working no matter what... I've tried setting up an empty scene with only the two soomla prefabs and a script I made, but for some reason, when I test it the popup says the product was not found. I have a github thread on the problem: https://github.com/soomla/unity3d-store/issues/346.

I don't like Vungle because afaik it's based on CPA, which is the last predictable ad system and from what I've seen so far it generally pays very badly. I'm using AdColony for ads. The support is awesome and it's extremely easy to integrate and works a treat. Plus they pay per completed video so, in some cases it's not as good as the competitors but at least it's predictable.

Overall ads services pay very poorly though. They are only really worthy for the crap games that are overloading the Google Play nowadays, games that you spend less than 3 days making, otherwise the chance is you're only going to make a few bucks which doesn't even pay your bills for a day, unless the thing goes viral and stuff, but you can never count on that.

IAPs are the only way to pay your bills making games... You sure can get rich with IAP+Skinner boxing but I really don't like that... I like to make games that are fun to play and not to exploit the minds of poor humans beings :).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  7. Deozaan

Deozaan

Last I checked (a few days ag), Soomla on the Asset Store was outdated. Get the packages straight from the Github repo:

https://github.com/soomla/unity3d-store

Also make sure that you've uploaded your APK which has the items/product IDs defined to the Google Play Store. And I'm not sure (because I haven't taken it this far yet) but I think your APK needs to be published (not in draft mode) at least as an Alpha before your IAP products go active.

8. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

@Deozaan: Yes, the APK is the correct one, but it surely could be the "Draft" thing that is the problem... It doesn't make much sense imho because it's in draft simply because it doesn't have the icons, but you never know... Google lost all the sense recently, so yeah... thank you. :)

One thing I'm struggling to figure though is how to 'check' if the item was purchased... I feel dumb because that's the most basic thing and yet I don't have a clue. Perhaps you can help me with that?

9. Deozaan

Deozaan

From the looks of the Developer Console, the IAP product says "To be activated" when my APK is still in draft mode. That's why I think you actually need to publish the APK (at least as an Alpha) before the product ID will go live. And also don't forget that it takes about 15 minutes (or so) after publishing before the APK is actually live on the Play Store. So even after publishing you may have to wait a little while before you can really test.

I think it works like this:

For Non-Consumable items, you can use StoreInventory.NonConsumableItemExists(itemID).

If that returns true, the player has purchased the item. If it returns false, the player hasn't. Either that or purchases haven't been restored since changing devices or wiping data. Be sure to call SoomlaStore.RestoreTransactions() as necessary.

10. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

@Deozaan: Unfortunately changing from draft to production didn't work either... I'm going to try the latest Soomla package, but it's very frustrating when no matter what you do the problem doesn't change... After trying the latest Soomla I'm going to try from another device.

Yeah, I think you're correct about checking the items.

Thank you for your help! Really appreciated.

11. Deozaan

Deozaan

Don't forget that the changes need to actually go live on the Google Play Store before it will work. If you've just published the build, it may not have gone live yet. Give it more time, if you haven't already. You'll know it's ready when you can actually find it on the Play Store (though you may need to set up a Google+ Community to set up access to Beta/Alpha testing).

You're welcome! Good luck!

12. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Yay! It worked now! Thank you very much Deozaan! :D I'm gonna double the price of the game in your honor... just kidding :). It was just a matter of actually publishing the game AND waiting like 1-2 hours!

13. Deozaan

Deozaan

Awesome! I'm glad to have helped.

I was pretty sure things would work the way I suggested but I didn't have any games ready to be published with IAP to test it. So I spent the last hour or so putting in a simple (and optional) "pay me $1 if you like this game" in a game I released earlier this year for free, called Blasteroids. I just got the changes published on the store so I'm anxiously awaiting for the changes to go live.

It's good to know that most likely it will be a success. (c:

14. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Hey guys, since I'm looking for game dev works, I'm releasing a Windows build of this game for my portfolio. Please note that I didn't actually 'port' it to Windows, so the virtual joystick is still there (you can resize it though) and the controls are not configurable (arrows, space and 'v').

I was 'saving' this game to ship as a bonus along with the big game I'm doing...

Anyway, here is the download link:
    Removed! WAIT FOR THE GIVEAWAY!

Here are the instructions (in-game also): (removed from page because of unintentional double sens in a term)

Attached Files:

15. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

hey guys, I decided to get my hands dirty on JS code again (i only used it a very few times in the past) and distribute this game completely free and ad-free on google play, basically a giveaway with the hopes to improve my portfolio since nowadays i'm looking for small gamedev works (paid only... mostly gameplay programming, but i'm an all around dev, cheapo-cheap gamedev services hehe :p )... anyway, here is a quick guide on how to play:

I've balanced the game and fixed some bugs... i'm just gonna fix another bug in which weapons get stuck on walls when transporting to their positions on the limbs of the players because of ccd.

Any words are really appreciated.

update:

16. Deozaan

Deozaan

No link? :)

17. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

It's significantly harder to get it on Google Play nowadays, you need lots of art, and ratings, and it's bitching about some things. It'll be ready soon (probably tomorrow because I'm sick of Google today) :p.

18. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

I'm sorry guys, I already submitted the whole shebang to Google Play, but it's taking a billion years to process the stuff. I'm going to post a link here as soon as it goes live. It used to be faster in the past.

19. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

20. CrisisSystem

CrisisSystem

First: This is hysterically awesome.

Second: HOW did you not name it 'fling fighter'? :D :D :D

21. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Hehe, thank you for the kind words.

I thought about something like that, but the app stores are crowded with games containing 'fly/flying' and they are mostly related to aircraft combat.

I wanted something different and not totally ridiculous :p. Mortal Attack was the only decent name that wasn't already taken by 10 other games hehe.

CrisisSystem likes this.