Search Unity

[MORPG] Development ~ A Step-by-Step Tutorial Series

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Christian-Tucker, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the process of writing a tutorial series that will be completely beginner friendly while not dragging out and feeling like a boring school class.

By the end of this tutorial series you should have a fully functional Online 3D RPG that will have the following features:
    • Registration and Login System
    • Player Chat System
    • Player Inventory
    • Player Equipment
    • Player Synching. (So everybody sees the same thing)
    • Basic "Tab-Target" based combat (Similar to WoW)
    • Character Statistics.
      • Health - Health, What more can I say?
      • Stamina - Stamina, Influences the amount of health a player has.
      • Strength - Strength, Increases the amount of damage done by a player in combat.
      • Agility - Agility, Increases a players chance to dodge an ability.

If there's anything else that you would like added to the tutorial series, please let me know, I'm here for you.

If you find this series informative or if it has helped you in any way, please make sure to give the video a thumbs up so more people can see it, and subscribe so you can receive updates when a new tutorial is released!

PlayList Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEZVH0wUwzE&list=PLf3HExmaARYYmSdRXtbFa-U5yuiFGiqL_

Introductory Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEZVH0wUwzE
    Client/Server Structure - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYs2wiWIT7k
    Setting up the Player- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYmKGmQQNUk
    Setting up the Scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ayuFW4gld4

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    fedecaccia likes this.
  2. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

3. MrMassively

MrMassively

Nice to see smartfox server tuts, specially for mmorpg

great tuts, little short tho, but straight to the point.

suggestions:
    will be great if add tuts for:
    -character creation, factions etc..
    -skill system, melee and ranged spell based.
    -player armour equipment slots, drag and drop
    - persistent mysql database: users accounts, characters stats etc....
    -gathering and crafting system.
    -mob AI

keep up the good work

4. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

If you would have read the thread ( lol ) you would have seen that I'm going to be working on the following

Basic Combat (Skill System) - Inventory System, Equipment More than likely.
    SQL Database's are definitely coming, I'm just not uploading everything all in one day.

Anyway, thanks for your reply! I'll be sure to add onto it. I kept them nice and short, but to the point so people could follow along without sitting down for 2+ hours and getting bored trying to learn something basic. I've seen 4hour long videos showing what I've done in 8 minutes.

Thanks for the feedback once again,
    Chris.

5. MrMassively

MrMassively

sorry, i guess i missed the Skill System from your main post,

i am not familiar with smartfox, but i ve seen on forums that there is some sort of jdbc mysql connector that smartfox can use for mysql db queries from within the server, so no need to do the php hacks that most people do to connect like in the other networking plugins for unity.

so , keep 'em coming. i can use a little bit of smartfox learning.

thanks

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  6. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

That's Correct, SmartFox is a Stand-Alone server that was written in Java, the JDBC or "Java Data-Base Connector" is an library that allows java to directly access SQL information, it's really neat and easy to use. After I get through some of the basics for the game design itself, I'll start touching on the server aspect of things.

7. MrMassively

MrMassively

one other thing about smartfox is that the since it is a socket server, pretty much does not support server side collsions right out of the box, but if you are familiar with it, a good tut on how to do some checks it will be even better, to avoid common hacks or cheats.

thanks again, ill bookmark this thread :)

8. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

Yeah, that's going to be the fun part, what I'm thinking about doing is implementing a tile system, not because I want to move one tile at a time or anything, but because I can have the server load all of the objects, then do collision detection based on the tiles. That's something I'm going to have to think about some more.

9. Cinema

Cinema

First two videos are great! I'll be following your series!

10. Rubber Bounce

Rubber Bounce

Good Contribution
    Looking forward to seeing how this tutorial series is going to turn out, if you manage to do everything you said you were going to, then alot of people are going to owe you alot :) Good job, and good idea. Suggestions:

Enemy and friendly AI / waypoint system
    Experience and levels (However this should be easy to implement myself because you explain the other stats and HP :))
    Random spawn of enemies
    And offcourse some sort of combat system, preferably typical spell based, like you yourself suggested.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  11. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

Great to hear!

The AI that I'm going to release is going to be very basic for multiple reasons;
    1: There's no reason to go balls to the wall on a networking tutorial series with AI, we can save that for an AI Tutorial series :cool:
    2: I have this distinct hate towards Artificial Intelligence programming.

The waypoint system make since, however, I don't quite understand where you are wanting me to go with it.

There's a community I have put together for this series called MMODev, I'm currently working on replacing the domain, however for now it's located here:
    http://guides-and-reviews.com/

Any suggestions you have you should explain in detail on there.

12. nixter

nixter

Thanks for posting this. I've messed around with SmartFox Server in the past but gave up because I couldn't find any tutorials like yours. Maybe now it's time to look at it again.

I'd be interested in a basic trading system. Not an auction house, but a simple interface where two characters make offers to each other then approve an exchange.

It would also be cool if you hosted occasional meetings on the server so your followers could discuss how it's coming along.

13. Cinema

Cinema

Just curious about how often you will post your videos?

14. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

That's why I created my website: http://guides-and-reviews.com/
    But i see what you're getting at, I may create a chat-server for them.

Not sure, honestly. I was planning on doing at-least one a week, sometimes more. Just released another one.
    I just had my grandfather go into the hospital and I'm kind-of sick as-well, so video production was slowed a-bit, Hopefully I'll have another one out within 48 hours.

[10/30/2013]Video 3 - Logging In http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMJ6B8YHr8M

15. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

For whatever reason YouTube removed my 3rd video and wanted usage rights for Unity3D, I re-uploaded it and sent them the licensing.

16. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

This series is still being developed, however, i had some family issues that I am taking care of.

17. Rubber Bounce

Rubber Bounce

Looking forward to it

I hope you manage to solve the issues as soon as possible, because i am looking forward to having the full tutorial series available. Good luck.

18. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

I have completely restarted this series, and have uploaded new videos! This is still alive folks! Sorry about the delay!

19. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

Fourth Video was added today

20. MrMassively

MrMassively

nice to see you are continuing doing the tut series,

why the change of hearts?
    smartfox to unity networking

21. Parallaxe

Parallaxe

Pity that you switched to Unity Networking. Your SmartFox approach looked promising.

However, if somebody wants to continue on the SmartFox trail, here's a collection of entry level tutorials that helped me a lot when I was starting to develop using Unity SmartFox. They are from Jake from GenesisRage. I enjoyed Jake's voice and pace a lot. Here's the first episode in a series of 12:

Unfortunately, Jake stopped after the 12th video, but if you made your way through all of his 12 tutorials, then you should be ready to continue with the FPS example from SmartFox. The FPS example holds all the basic concepts on both client and server side that you'll need. At least if you're a hobbyist.

22. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

UnityPark Suite, by MuchDifferent - http://muchdifferent.com/

That, and SmartFox is a little advanced for some users.
    Not to mention I didn't really like it.
    Personal preference I guess.

23. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

Jake is where I got some of my starting information, but he leaves imports out, etc.. It's not very "Beginner friendly" I guess you could say. His tutorials also have you doing things the wrong way. Don't think of it as switching back to "Unity Networking" as that's not exactly the case. That's just where I'm starting the videos off this time around.

24. MrMassively

MrMassively

I never liked ulink stock uGamedb riak nosql database system,

if you planning to use mysql for the server side persistence data ill be really interested in this uLink tutorials.

25. abdala

abdala

cool series up up up up up :D

26. bmannion4

bmannion4

Any way to get these as non-video tutorials?

27. OJ3D

OJ3D

@Christian.Tucker - did all your work go away:eek:? man, i was really looking forward to seeing your tutorials. Anyway you can provide your series some other way ? (dropbox,Gdrive,etc.)

28. mojo1989

mojo1989

The links do not work anymore :(