Search Unity

MoonSharp - a Lua interpreter written in C#, focused on ease of use

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Xanathar, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Xanathar

Xanathar

Hi everyone and sorry for joining in for what's, after all, a bit of advertising :rolleyes:

I'm writing an open source Lua interpreter directly in C#, focused on ease of use and integration and compatible with .NET 3.5 +, Mono 2.6 + and Unity.

Compared to wrappers over native Lua, being directly written in C#, it trades some performance in raw execution, with a good performance bonus when calling C# functions from script which - I think - it's preferable.

I released version 0.5.0 yesterday, and it includes most of the standard library (in practice, 99% of what you might need in Unity) and apart from known bugs in the implementation of the string library it should work pretty well. I'm still writing the documentation/tutorials, but what's there should be enough to kick-start anyone who might want to use it.

In the long run I hope to add/complete a debugger solution with user interface in a separate application (or in a browser, to be decided) which would help debugging scripts - specially helpful for the unity where the screen would be busy displaying the game.

In case you want to check it out: http://www.moonsharp.org

2. wccrawford

wccrawford

Might also want to mention that it's on Github and open sourced under the BSD license. Oh wait, I just did that. ;)

3. Xanathar

Xanathar

You're right! Thanks! :D

4. doctorseus

doctorseus

Great. Finally a reason to dig into Lua. Everything looks really clean and organized.
    Just for the start I tried to use it in a empty Unity project and it worked like promised. But I am searching for an Lua interpreter which is runnable in the Webplayer and later on on the WebGL platform and it seems that it does not run like it should if I build it for the Webplayer and try to run it in the Browser.
    I know that native plugins do not work with the Webplayer, but as far as I know .NET libraries work as long as they do not use restricted Classes and build are for 3.5? Any hint on that?
    Thanks for your work!

5. shaderop

shaderop

Admirable effort and a fantastic looking website. Keep it up!

6. Xanathar

Xanathar

Hi thanks for the congrats!

Regarding the webplayer/webgl thing, I'll try doing a test on my PC and see what's happening

7. Xanathar

Xanathar

Fixed the problems with Unity WebPlayer, and ported the test suite to Unity. Tried it on desktop, webplayer and android and runs ok :)

I'll release binaries soon (few days), but if you dare cloning the github repo, it's there, along with a Unity project to see how to get the thing started.

8. doctorseus

doctorseus

Pulled the latest changes of the repo, had to fight with this package manager called NuGet, but it works like a charm now on the WebPlayer. Thank you!
    @NuGet, I only got the Build running on VS2013 after I deleted the Folders in "packages/" and VS re-downloaded them for me. Maybe it's just because I have wrong settings, but I wanted to let you know.

Xanathar likes this.
  9. eedok

eedok

Do requires not work in Moonsharp or am I going about it wrong? Here's the sample I'm trying to get running that doesn't work: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/168938/Moonsharp Test.zip

EDIT: figured it out, added these lines after Script script = new Script(); and it works:
    Code (csharp):
    2.        UnityAssetsScriptLoader uas = new UnityAssetsScriptLoader();
    3.         uas.ModulePaths = new string[1];
    4.         uas.ModulePaths[0] = UnityAssetsScriptLoader.DEFAULT_PATH + "/?";
    5.         script.Options.ScriptLoader = uas;

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  10. biyyalakamal

biyyalakamal

HI,
    I am trying use lua script files.
    I tried to make the webgl build. but it is getting error.
    But if i switch platfrom standalone , it is working good. but i want run webgl .

Attached Files:

11. Ryiah

Ryiah