Search Unity

MonoDevelop-Unity 5.9 Preview Release

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by lukaszunity, Aug 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olivier-Tache

Olivier-Tache

Hi,
    I just installed Beta 1 on Mac OS X 10.11, everything is running fine so far.
    I see that several themes seem to be available (in
    MonoDevelop.app/Contents/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/share/themes) but can't figure out how to change the current one. Is it possible for the moment ?

2. voldemarz

voldemarz

Ok. Computer freshly booted up and debugger is not working again, but I have clearer info now.
    • Breakpoints in editor code get hit.
    • Breakpoints in runtime code doesn't get hit.
    • If I try to add a breakpoint in runtime code while in "play" mode, I get message "Debugger operation failed" with code "ERR_UNLOADED".
    • Restarting both Unity and MonoDevelp didn't help.
    Why would this happen? Any workarounds?

EDIT: lukaszunity commented on these issues in a post a bit earlier in the thread

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  3. voldemarz

voldemarz

I did not change / recompile scripts while debugger was attached. I did, however, have it attached before entering play mode. It worked until now.

So, from now on, we have to enter play mode and only then attach? Then how to debug stuff that happens immediately in first frame when loading the scene ? Pause-play in editor will stop only after first frame.

4. liortal

liortal

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Unfortunately, i'm not doing any threading work at all, and i don't think i'm setting any breakpoints in "types that have been unloaded". All types that exist in my project should be reloaded anyway when a new appdomain is created (e.g: reloaded), right ?

I don't recall having any of these debugging issues in previous versions (i'm using the latest version that was posted, beta 1 IIRC).

Also, reattaching did not seem to solve this issue for me, only relaunching MD.

5. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Just be clear, did you update Unity and debugging stopped working or did you update MonoDevelop and debugging stopped working? In either case, can you post the version numbers you are using of Unity and MonoDevelop?

Also, could you perhaps verify that in an earlier version of Unity and/or MonoDevelop where things worked correctly?

6. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

I am able to reproduce this issue, currently investigating.

7. ngorgievtt

ngorgievtt

Have just switched to 5.9 (Using Unity 5.1.2) i cant run the debbuger its showing some error that are not errors with mono 4
    Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 09.55.07.png

8. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

This is because your project does not build with the C# compiler that ships with MonoDevelop 5.9. You can disable building in MonoDevelop in Options -> Unity -> Debugger "Build Project in MonoDevelop".

9. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

This is an issue in beta 1 and will be fixed soon. Please use alpha 4 until then.

10. liortal

liortal

I haven't upgraded Unity in a while - i am on 5.2.1
    I used to work with whatever latest version of MD alpha before (alpha 4 i think) and upgraded to beta 1

11. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

MonoDevelop 5.9.6 Beta 2 is now available for download. See first post in this thread for download links.

Release notes
    • Fixed ERR_UNLOADED error when setting breakpoints. Regression introduced in Beta 1.
    • OSX: Added .NET 4.0 assemblies in bundled Mono framework.

12. rubeng

rubeng

With the old MonoDevelop I was able to run unit tests on the IDE, without needing to use run with the unity test tools (at least simple tests)

Now in the Unit Test window of MonoDevelop, the assembly doesn't expand to show the available tests and it gives an error when trying to run them.

Thanks for any information.

Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 11.02.15.png Screen Shot 2015-10-29 at 11.02.15.png

13. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

We also experienced this issue internally. The problem is that MonoDevelop 5.9 uses NUnit 2.6.3 and if you have a reference to an older NUnit in your solution/project then this will cause a conflict with the MonoDevelop's NUnit and give this (unhelpful) Unix transport error.

14. rubeng

rubeng

I have unity test tools in my project. first I tried updating it to the latest unit test tools version, but it doesn't work, I tried removing the nunit dlls (nunit.core.dll, nunit.core.interfaces.dll, nunit.framework.dll) and the test don't compile anymore, then I tried downloading nunit 2.6.3 and replacing the nunit dlls with those, but the issue remains, I still get the same error.

Do you have any advice with what else to try?

Also, I am testing the beta 2 of monodevelop-unity 5.9, and I am still having a lot of problems, trying to debug, I usually have to add a breakpoint in every line of a method, because stepping behaves as if I had pressed play, the app just resumes normal run until the next breakpoint.

Thanks.

15. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

The way the NUnit test runner in MonoDevelop works is by running your test in a separate process which MonoDevelop talks to via .NET Remoting. This Unix transport error is a generic error that is reported when the communication between the test runner process and MonoDevelop fails. Since it appears you are getting this error for another reason, my suggestion to you is to try to run the test on Windows, where MonoDevelop runs on Microsoft .NET, which provides much more helpful error messages. You can also report a bug with a small repro case and we can have a look.

What exact issues are you getting with stepping? Do you have a repro case you could report?

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

I was very satisfied with XS + Unity Addin, until I saw you stopped maintaining the addin and suggested the new version of MD! Is there any significant difference between MD and XS? Also, I want to know whether this would be the same(old) MD or this is a new MD with XS in its core?

17. Vlad3489

Vlad3489

I found a bug, if anyone is interested (MonoDevelop-Unity 5.9 beta2 on Windows 8 64-bit with Unity 5.2.2p.1):
    When code folding enabled and your cursour is focused on that minimized preview (at three dots), try to press Shift+F2. Monodevelop crashes every time.

2.jpg 3.jpg

18. liortal

liortal

Another annoying thing i noticed today (although not a crash): you don't get any "intellisense" for indexers.

Typing the member name with an opening bracket results in nothing (i don't see the actual parameter names i can use, the documentation, etc).

This is the same with Xamarin studio BTW.

19. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

I'm having some very strange issues when pasting code, it is pasting a complete different code, sometimes it pastes the incomplete clipboard, sometimes it doesn't past anything at all, very weird...

20. liortal

liortal

I started getting these consistent crashes when attempting to search for a symbol (e.g: CMD-. on OSX):

INFO [2015-11-04 18:48:58Z]: Creating DefaultWorkbench
    ERROR [2015-11-04 18:48:58Z]: MacMenu: 'MonoDevelop.Ide.Commands.HelpCommands.Help' maps to null command
    INFO [2015-11-04 18:48:59Z]: Add-in loaded: MonoDevelop.ILAsmBinding
    WARNING [2015-11-04 18:49:00Z]: Failed to load: /PlaybackEngines/iOSSupport/Data/iosdevices.csv
    System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "/PlaybackEngines/iOSSupport/Data/iosdevices.csv".
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, System.String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int,System.IO.FileOptions,string,bool,bool,bool)
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path, System.Text.Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path, System.Text.Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.StreamReader:.ctor (string)
    at System.IO.File.OpenText (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at System.IO.File.ReadAllLines (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoDevelop.Debugger.Soft.Unity.iOSDevices.LoadDescriptions (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoDevelop.Debugger.Soft.Unity.iOSDevices.SetupDescriptions (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    WARNING [2015-11-04 18:49:00Z]: Error while initializing usbmuxd
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: /PlaybackEngines/iOSSupport/UnityEditor.iOS.Extensions.Native.dylib
    at MonoDevelop.Debugger.Soft.Unity.PosixDllLoader.LoadLibrary (System.String fileName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoDevelop.Debugger.Soft.Unity.Usbmuxd.LoadDll (System.String nativeDll) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoDevelop.Debugger.Soft.Unity.Usbmuxd.Setup (System.String dllPath) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at MonoDevelop.Debugger.Soft.Unity.iOSDevices.SetupDll (System.String path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    INFO [2015-11-04 18:49:00Z]: Add-in loaded: MonoDevelop.HexEditor
    INFO [2015-11-04 18:49:03Z]: Add-in loaded: MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion
    INFO [2015-11-04 18:49:03Z]: Add-in loaded: MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Subversion.Unix

21. McKrackeN

McKrackeN

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with indentation (as seen in the attached screenshot) when using preprocessor conditionals inside brackets.

Here's the screenshot:

badindent.png

Thanks in advance!

22. Pharan

Pharan

What's up with the <Unknown Command> menu item under the Help menu?

23. AaronC

AaronC

I'm thinking I can double click in the Unity console and get a crash. Also it seems less supportive of Unityscript as you cant see js's in the UI now?

24. chargedneuron

chargedneuron

First - Thank you for the update (Preview Release) and thank you to Lukaszunity for actively monitoring this thread.

I can not seem to find the setting that prevents the auto formatter from moving my comments to the next line. For example:

public string PlayerName; // The Players name

becomes;

public string PlayerName;
    // The Players name

The C# code formatting section of the preferences seems to be lacking any way to turn this off. Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Thank you.

golmae likes this.
  25. camilo.gonzalez

camilo.gonzalez

Hi team,

I saw some people reporting copy-paste issues above, but reporting this as well. The behavior I'm seeing is a bit different though, I can copy-paste from MonoDevelop itself, but it doesn't let me copy from a different application and paste into MonoDevelop though.

I can paste successfully into other apps (notepad, word, etc). The opposite (copying from Mono and pasting to external apps) works ok.

Is this a known issue at the moment? (I currently have MonoDevelop-Unity v5.9.4)

Thanks!

Camilo

golmae likes this.
  26. zero_null

zero_null

Hey there ! I have an issue I can't copy stuff from anywhere else and paste in the new monodevelop.
    Also links for 5.9.6 beta 2 aren't working .

Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  27. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

I'm having the same issue...

Also, hitting CTRL+Delete to delete the words in front of the caret is too laggy...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  28. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

I've was out of office last week, so here is a mass reply to everyone who commented last week.

I've already answered this here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/monodevelop-unity-5-9-preview-release.350016/page-2#post-2297959

Thanks for reporting this issue. We will investigate.

I suggest reporting this missing feature to Xamarin: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/describecomponents.cgi?product=Xamarin Studio

The crash log you posted does not contain the call-stack for Cmd+. crash.

This is an known "issue" with Xamarin Studio. This might be fixed Xamarin Studio 6: https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/53121/preview-release-xamarin-studio-6-0-with-roslyn-support . We wil upgrade to MonoDevelop 6 (same codebase as Xamarin Studio 6) once it is stable.

This is a leftover from when the DocBrowser was removed in our builds. This will be fixed.

Please file a bug with the details of your crash. UnityScript does not have code completion in MonoDevelop 5.9, we recommend using C#.

See my reply above about Xamarin Studio 6.

Copy-paste issue has an open bug at Xamarin: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16519

I've been unable to reproduce the issue. I suggest downloading Xamarin Studio and see if you can reproduce and then reply with the details to the Xamarin bug above.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  29. Pharan

Pharan

Oh, that's what I forgot to say too. Yeah, I experienced the copy-paste problem recently. It wasn't the first time though. But

I cut something, and when I pasted it, it spit out empty lines.
    It's really scary when it happens. But thank goodness Undo worked just fine.
    Just sharing. :p

30. AaronC

AaronC

Maybe you guys could look at a script editor that supports unityscript.. I was meaning you can't even see js,s on the left side of the screen. Strange to have a script editor that doesn't really support all the engines languages. For years unity has suffered dodgy script editors. I can't understand why a script editor seems so persistently problematic. Unitron did the job!

31. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Can you explain and possibly post a screenshot of what you mean with "you can't even see js,s on the left side of the screen" ?

32. AaronC

AaronC

I will do when I'm back at that workstation in a couple of days, Cheers.

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

This new MonoDevelop is something else. It's Amazing!

34. AaronC

AaronC

You can see my scripts in these screenshots but only the C# scripts are visible in Monodevelop
    HTH
    Screenshot (34).png Screenshot (35).png
    Screenshot (34).png

35. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

It looks like in in Unity under "External Tools" preference you have "Add .unityproj's to .sln" unchecked, which means the UnityScript and Boo scripts do not get included in the generated solution.

AaronC likes this.
  36. De-Panther

De-Panther

I had some issues with the smart indentation and "#if" statements

monodevelopbugindent1.png

When adding more than one "#else" or "#elif" the smart indentation fails.
    In the old monodevelop it worked as it should.
    monodevelopbugindent2.png

37. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

This might be fixed in MonoDevelop / Xamarin Studio 6 which includes code formatting improvements.

De-Panther likes this.
  38. De-Panther

De-Panther

And Unity would support that?
    I tried to find if there's an option to edit myself the rule and fix it, but couldn't find where the rules are

39. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Yes, we plan on upgrading to MonoDevelop 6 once it is stable.

De-Panther likes this.
  40. AaronC

AaronC

Are crash reports like this of value?
    I tend to get crashes double-clicking on scripts in Unity

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: MonoDevelop.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 2.6.0.0
    Problem Signature 03: 55c709ac
    Problem Signature 04: System
    Problem Signature 05: 4.6.81.0
    Problem Signature 06: 5584e6d4
    Problem Signature 07: 1fdd
    Problem Signature 08: 16
    Problem Signature 09: System.Net.Sockets.Socket
    OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 5861
    Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
    Additional Information 3: a10f
    Additional Information 4: a10ff7d2bb2516fdc753f9c34fc3b069

41. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

When you get a crash, it is most helpful if you could open the MonoDevelop logs through "Help -> Open Log Directory" menu and provide the log file from the session that crashed. The log file should contain a managed call stack for the crash.

AaronC likes this.
  42. The-Mighty-Git

The-Mighty-Git

I just cannot get it to launch under Win 8.1

I've installed gtk# , tried to update to .Net 4.5 (which claims it's already installed - tho the log output says 4.0), but the best I get is this in the error logs...

INFO [2015-11-23 14:23:24Z]: Starting MonoDevelop-Unity 5.9.6
    INFO [2015-11-23 14:23:24Z]: Running on Microsoft .NET 4.0.30319.34209
    INFO [2015-11-23 14:23:24Z]: Found GTK# version 2.12.26
    INFO [2015-11-23 14:23:24Z]: Using GTK+ 2.24.23
    ERROR: Add-in scan operation failed. The runtime may have encountered an error while trying to load an assembly.
    ERROR: Add-in scan operation failed (Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Users\Johnny\Desktop\MonoDevelop_BETA\bin\Mono.Addins.dll' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515))
    ERROR: The add-in database could not be updated. It may be due to file corruption. Try running the setup repair utility
    ERROR: Add-in scan operation failed. The runtime may have encountered an error while trying to load an assembly.
    ERROR: Add-in scan operation failed (Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Users\Johnny\Desktop\MonoDevelop_BETA\bin\Mono.Addins.dll' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515))
    ERROR: The add-in database could not be updated. It may be due to file corruption. Try running the setup repair utility
    System.InvalidOperationException: Extension node not found in path: /MonoDevelop/Core/WebCredentialProviders
    at Mono.Addins.ExtensionContext.GetExtensionObjects[T](String path, Boolean reuseCachedInstance) in c:\buildslave\monoDevNGExAddin\monodevelop\main\external\mono-addins\Mono.Addins\Mono.Addins\ExtensionContext.cs:line 636
    at Mono.Addins.ExtensionContext.GetExtensionObjects[T](String path) in c:\buildslave\monoDevNGExAddin\monodevelop\main\external\mono-addins\Mono.Addins\Mono.Addins\ExtensionContext.cs:line 607
    at Mono.Addins.AddinManager.GetExtensionObjects[T](String path) in c:\buildslave\monoDevNGExAddin\monodevelop\main\external\mono-addins\Mono.Addins\Mono.Addins\AddinManager.cs:line 629
    at MonoDevelop.Core.WebRequestHelper.Initialize() in c:\buildslave\monoDevNGExAddin\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Core\MonoDevelop.Core\WebRequestHelper.cs:line 49
    at MonoDevelop.Core.Runtime.Initialize(Boolean updateAddinRegistry) in c:\buildslave\monoDevNGExAddin\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Core\MonoDevelop.Core\Runtime.cs:line 118
    Starting MonoDevelop-Unity
    ERROR [2015-11-23 14:23:25Z]: MonoDevelop-Unity failed to start. Some of the assemblies required to run MonoDevelop-Unity (for example gtk-sharp)may not be properly installed in the GAC.
    System.InvalidOperationException: Extension node not found in path: /MonoDevelop/Core/PlatformService
    at Mono.Addins.ExtensionContext.GetExtensionObjects(String path, Type arrayElementType, Boolean reuseCachedInstance) in c:\buildslave\monoDevNGExAddin\monodevelop\main\external\mono-addins\Mono.Addins\Mono.Addins\ExtensionContext.cs:line 669
    at Mono.Addins.AddinManager.GetExtensionObjects(String path) in c:\buildslave\monoDevNGExAddin\monodevelop\main\external\mono-addins\Mono.Addins\Mono.Addins\AddinManager.cs:line 553
    at MonoDevelop.Ide.DesktopService.Initialize() in c:\buildslave\monoDevNGExAddin\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Ide\DesktopService.cs:line 56
    at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeStartup.Run(MonoDevelopOptions options) in c:\buildslave\monoDevNGExAddin\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Ide\IdeStartup.cs:line 173
    at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeStartup.Main(String[] args, IdeCustomizer customizer) in c:\buildslave\monoDevNGExAddin\monodevelop\main\src\core\MonoDevelop.Ide\MonoDevelop.Ide\IdeStartup.cs:line 668

43. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Did you Unblock the zip file before extracting, as specified in the instructions?

44. The-Mighty-Git

The-Mighty-Git

/facepalm

Thank you :D

45. K0jo

K0jo

Hey, thanks for releasing this! Pretty sure I've found a bug. If you have multiple notebooks open then quit and re-open the application it will only show 1 notebook and scripts from the other notebook won't appear at all even when you try to open them. The result is that it feels like the IDE is broken and refuses to open your scripts. This can be fixed by going to View > Editor Layout > 1 Column.

I don't remember if muli-window support was in earlier versions but it's something very useful and that I've been waiting to have. I think this bug could really trip people up.

46. sanpats

sanpats

Second K0jo's report.

47. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Thanks for reporting this. But "notebooks" do you mean the 2 column editor layout or are you referring to something else?

48. sanpats

sanpats

yes 2 column editor layout

K0jo likes this.
  49. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

sfjohansson likes this.
  50. camilo.gonzalez

camilo.gonzalez

Hi Lukasz,

I recently installed Unity 5.2.2p4 on a Windows 10 machine and I see it came with MonoDevelop v4. Is this normal?

I tried downloading the most recent beta I found on this thread (5.9.6 Beta 2), but not able to run it in Win10. Do you know if other people are facing the same/similar issues?

Thanks,

Camilo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.