Search Unity

MonoDevelop-Unity 5.10 Preview Release

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by lukaszunity, Apr 6, 2016.

1. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Given the positive reactions to the previous preview release of MonoDevelop 5.9, we are now releasing a preview build of MonoDevelop 5.10 for early testing and feedback. MonoDevelop 5.10 will ship with a Unity release after Unity 5.4.

Download
    Installation
    • OSX:
      • Mount the .dmg.
      • Copy MonoDevelop.app to a local folder.
      • Unmount the .dmg.
    • Windows:
      • Right click the zip file, select "Properties" and then click "Unblock".
      • Unpack the zip.
      • Might be required to install GTK# using GTKSharp/gtk-sharp.msi (Only once).
    • In Unity:
      • Open Preferences and change the External Script Editor path to point to MonoDevelop.exe (Windows) / MonoDevelop.app (OSX).
    Release notes

Alpha 1
    Minimum Requirements
    Source code repositories

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  2. liortal

liortal

Which minimal Unity version is supported? I am on 5.3.4p1, should it work with this alpha ?

3. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Should be working with all Unity versions that MonoDevelop 5.9.6 works with.

liortal likes this.
  4. acr1378

acr1378

Question about 5.10... I noticed that it requires installing .NET 4.5. Does this mean we can use all the .NET 4.5 namespaces? The reason I ask is because I have been very frustrated with past version of Unity because they were limited to .NET 2.0 which does not allow you to use System.Numerics (the BigInteger struct is what I specifically).

5. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

MonoDevelop is a C# application and it requires .NET 4.5 to be installed on Windows to run. This is completely separate from the embedded Mono .NET version that is used in Unity. .NET upgrade inside Unity is on our roadmap as ".NET Profile Upgrade".

6. Ravel

Ravel

Does this version of mono work without random crashes? I'm getting sick of it always crashing with the latest versions of Unity. Every after now and then when I open up a script it crashes for no reason and when I boot it up again it doesn't load the project properly. So I have to trial and error to get it working.
    Error Message I get is

7. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

The MonoDevelop 5.10.3 OSX build does ship with a new version of Mono. When you experience the crash and the start-up issue afterwards, it would be helpful if you could report it as a bug and post the case number here. We automatically attach the MonoDevelop logs to bugs, which includes the call stacks for crashes and exceptions.

8. andymads

andymads

Indentation is not working how I expect based on the settings. Cursor should be one tab to the right.

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 15.25.45.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 15.26.48.png

9. Game-Whiz

Game-Whiz

Thanks for this! Much stabler than the previous version, particularly in git.

lukaszunity likes this.
  10. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Indentation not always working correctly is known issue in MonoDevelop 5. Xamarin are improving indentation for MonoDevelop/Xamarin Studio 6. You could try it out and see if your issue is solved.

11. jo6x

jo6x

So I got the new version of monodevelop 5.10. Now there is a problem with it, I have.
    A lot of times the monodevelop get stuck when removing some lines in a script. I than need to take the action by using taskmanager to end the program.
    This happens a lot and sometimes several times in a row.
    I've removed, dowloaded and installed it again, but the same problem remains.
    What could be the problem, is there anyone else with the same problem.
    Maybe I should get back to an older version.

12. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

This happens on Windows? Which version of GTK# do you have installed?

13. jo6x

jo6x

I've got a computer windows10, I5 processor, 8gb internal memory, 3d graphic card 8Mb, SSD drive.
    Downloaded the version 5.10 of monodevelop at http://www.monodevelop.com/download/ just a few days ago and again yesterday.
    On my laptop I got an older version of monodevelop with the same windows10 and there's no problem.
    I 'll give you the version of GTK# when I'm back home, over about 8 hours.

14. Player7

Player7

Right now though the only thing that mono develop offers to me that is useful is its actual working assembly browser that doesn't just show summary but actual c# or il. Otherwise just sticking with visual studio hopefully the move to 6.0 comes sooner.

Because I see Xamarin 6.0 has added a complete dark gui theme to use, albeit not so great but atleast then it won't just be syntax color theming, no point having dark background/colors for code when every gui interface surrounding it is bright.

15. jo6x

jo6x

It's Gtk# 2.12.26.

16. liortal

liortal

I am using the latest 5.10 preview. I cannot debug the game while running on Android.

I built a development build with script debugging enabled (using Unity 5.3.4p1).
    Testing now, the earlier version i used also doesn't work.

I am opening the "Attach to" window, but it stays like this:
    upload_2016-4-20_11-49-27.png

The device is never found, even though i am on the same WIFI network (the same way it used to work before).

What other steps can i perform to further diagnose this issue ?

17. liortal

liortal

Facing a bug while debugging using MonoDevelop 5.10.
    Every time i try to examine an object of type AssetBundle both Unity and MonoDevelop crash. Really annoying.

Attaching log from MonoDevelop, hopefully it contains enough information about this issue. Let me know if you need anything else.

Attached Files:

18. jo6x

jo6x

The bug I have is still there.
    Sometimes Monodevelop crashes. I recognized that it's sometimes there when I remove the void's in a new script to clear it up, or when I removed a script in unity (and make it again).
    Strange...........

BTW I use windows 10 and Unity3d 5.3.3f1

19. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Thanks for reporting the issues. We will look into them.

20. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Not sure if you are saying that MonoDevelop only shows summery in the Assembly browser, but you can change this to C# or IL in the top right "Language" dropdown in the assembly browser.

21. Player7

Player7

No I was just getting at Microsofts visual studio being kinda crap because its own assembly browser like window only shows summary info.. where as monodevelops best feature is its built in assembly browser which shows both c# and il which is much more useful, I just wish it had other good features or was more extensible like Eclipse ide.

22. sanpats

sanpats

This is working fine. Any plan for MonoDevelop 6? I would love the dark theme UI.

23. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

We will upgrade to MonoDevelop 6, once there is a stable release available.

sanpats likes this.
  24. jo6x

jo6x

Thanks LukasZUnity, hope it will be soon.

25. liortal

liortal

I just noticed that i no longer can attach to the Unity editor from the toolbar:
    upload_2016-5-24_0-11-48.png
    I used to have the option before, i believe with the previous preview version.

26. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Thanks for reporting this issue, we will look into it.

27. liortal

liortal

Do you need any logs from MD?

28. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

We are able to reproduce this issue, so it will not be necessary in this case, thanks :)

Polymorphik and liortal like this.
  29. Game-Whiz

Game-Whiz

Is there any newer version of MD?

30. liortal

liortal

Posting my issue here, after I opened a bug but received no response (Also: this is relevant for the 5.10 preview version)

On my Windows 10 machine, i cannot run MonoDevelop. Not the one that gets installed with Unity, and not the preview release. Whenever i run it, this is the error i'm getting:
    upload_2016-7-23_23-39-46.png

Peeking at the MonoDevelop log, this is what i see:
    It looks like this particular DLL is not being registered in the GAC or something similar... even manually invoking the GTK installer doesn't help.

I also opened this bug: (Case 811128) MonoDevelop fails to run when double-clicking script

But still haven't heard anything back from Unity QA / developers.

Is there any solution for this ?

31. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

Not currently.

Do you still have this issue?

32. liortal

liortal

33. ZeBraNS

ZeBraNS

6 months later, where we are with 5.10 ?

34. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

There a some regressions in MonoDevelop 5.10 compared to MonoDevelop 5.9.6, as reported in this thread and as internal testing has shown. We've been waiting for Xamarin to update MonoDevelop 5.10 to address these issues, but they have now switched to developing MonoDevelop/Xamarin Studio 6.x and MonoDevelop 5.10 is the last 5.x version.

It seems like it would make sense to skip MonoDevelop 5.10 and upgrade to MonoDevelop 6.x. However, Xamarin Studio 6.x has had some major internal changes and internal testing has shown that these changes has caused some major performance regressions. Personally I'm experienced this to a large degree when opening large projects and just performing operations such as searching the solution, expanding the solutions folders, etc.

The situation right now is that we are recommending to use MonoDevelop 5.9.6 due to issues in later versions. We are keeping an eye on the latest Xamarin Studio 6.x versions to see if we can eventually upgrade to it for all developers.

If you are experiencing issues in MonoDeveleop 5.9.6 that have been fixed in 5.10, please report them here and we will see if it is possible to back-port the fixes to MonoDevelop 5.9.6.

35. brier

brier

I have no idea what crappy machine your using, but I use Xamarin Studio 6.1.2.44 on an older dual core HP AMD E-1 with 8GB of ram and windows 7 and I have ZERO issues with using it with unity. as a matter of fact I *had* to switch because I have no idea what the issue or reasoning is, but you have ripped out nuget from MonoDevelop and it will not import references to certain dlls (no idea why but I cannot use NHibernate for example with your version of MonoDevelop is always says that the classes don't exist in the current context and won't even autocomplete the name spaces from the dlls) So my suggestion is stop messing with the source and just use Xamarin because it rocks as long as Unity doesn't go fiddling with the source code. you seriously need to put nuget manager back in because some of us like monodevelop for its speed and a LOT less resource usage that bloated Visual Studio/Resharper combo. and I also know that unity is specifically removing it because as per the Official Site
    So I repeat with major emphasis PLEASE stop messaging with the source and just include it as-is for crying out-loud, you broke it (the non unity technologies touched versions work perfect)

you also cannot download and install nuget extension because other parts of monodevelop are missing (maybe why unity is having issues ?)

something about core 5.10 and MonoDevelop.Package.Management, 5.10 are missing

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017