Search Unity

MonoDevelop text all shown as square characters.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Dragonian, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Dragonian

Dragonian

After we updated Unity 3.0, MonoDevelop's interface text displays as square characters, and is now impossible to use.
    This problem only occurs for non administrator accounts.

Has anyone came across this issue, and if so, know of a fix?

This is persistent in Unity 3.3.

$Screen shot 2011-04-15 at 5.13.00 PM.png

2. Dragonian

Dragonian

To clarify this only started when we updated from 3.0 to 3.1.

Also the administrator account (where MonoDevelop works fine) and non-administrator account (where MonoDevelop is displayed in supported characters) share identical language and encoding setting (as far as we can tell).

Is it a broader MacOSX issue that we have not come across before?

Hope someone has any knowledge about fixing this issue.

3. coastwise

coastwise

I am experiencing the same problem. Moved a project from admin account to non-admin account. The cs files work in unitron or any other editor, but every string in monodevelop (including user interface) are shown as squares.

I attempted to delete the csproj, unityproj, pidb, and sln files to have them regenerated, but this did not help.

If anyone has any other ideas, I would be much obliged.

4. coastwise

coastwise

Also, to clarify: this happend when moving a project between two copies of Unity 3.5.2f2 and MonoDevelop 2.8.2 on different (but identical) machines running OS X 10.7.4

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am running as a standard user on OSX Lion, and launching monodevelop from the command line inside /Applications/Unity/MonoDevelop.app/Contents/MacOS gave me a lot of "permission denied" errors. The fix was straightforward since I installed Unity as administrator: add read/write permissions for your standard user to the Unity application folder.

The way to do this is to right-click on /Applications/Unity in Finder, choose "Get Info", go to the bottom of the dialog, unlock the permissions section, add your standard username to the list, change permissions to read/write, then click on the little gear icon and choose "Apply to enclosed items..." to apply permissions recursively.

Hope this helps!

6. Dragonian

Dragonian

Thank you dynamite35
    Your solution works like a charm

7. GavinF

GavinF

I tried changing the app permissions as described by dynamite35, but am still having the issue. Has anyone found another way to solve this? I got it when upgrading from 4.2.2 to 4.3.1f1.

8. alok-kr-029

alok-kr-029

Thanks it worked