Search Unity

MonoDevelop Changing Tab size has no effect

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Pirs01, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Pirs01

Pirs01

MonoDevelop has 4 spaces wide tab by default which I hate because it unnecessarily wastes space and makes code not fit in reasonable width.

I go to Tools->Options->Source Code->C# source code, uncheck Use default settings from 'Text file' and set something less then 4 in Tab width and it has no effect. The tab is still 4 spaces wide and annoying.

Any ideas?

2. Landern

Landern

Under the 'Text file' option you should see 'C# Source Code'. Is that set to a custom policy, does it have 'Use default settings from 'Text file'' checked?

3. Pirs01

Pirs01

Yes. Policy is set to Custom.
    Use default settings from 'Text file' is not checked.

4. Landern

Landern

Well check it, you specified for "Text file", if you are using c#, have the same policy apply.

5. Pirs01

Pirs01

Anyways I tried changing settings under both Text file and C# source code

6. PixelPiledriver

PixelPiledriver

4 space tabs drives me crazy.
    Here's how to fix it.

In Mono go here:

Select C#.
    Create a new custom policy.
    Name it.
    Set the options you want (probly 2 space tabs) and press OK:

Mono will tell you that the custom policy will only be applied to new projects.
    You need to apply it to your current project manually.
    Go here in Mono:

And then apply your custom policy:

Your code should now be formatted the way you want!

mgear likes this.
  7. TigerLeep

TigerLeep

You are my hero! :)

8. WedgeBeard

WedgeBeard

So, this works to change the policy on a single script file, but is there a way to do this on a global scale, so that anytime I create a new script file (I'm using Javascript) it automatically adheres to my policy without me having to "apply policy" to every new script I make?

9. WedgeBeard

WedgeBeard

Nevermind, I just found that if I go to Project -> Solution Options, changes I make there are global. I think "solutions" is misleading, strange choice of a word for the options it contains. Anyway, after I made changes in the solution menu, it made my choices global, so every time I make a new Javascript file, it recognizes that I want tabs of size 2. Groovy.

10. SONIC3D

SONIC3D

Tools->Options->Source Code->Code Formatting will only affact on new solution/project to be created after changing this option.

To modify code formatting option on current solution,right click on Solution item in solution tree->Options->Source Code->Code Formatting.
    And usually the formatting option is inherited by projects in this solution.So if you wanna specialized formatting option in specific project.Right click on that project in solution tree->Options->Source Code->Code Formatting.

These option will be stored in .sln files and .csproj files in your Unity3D project directory.