Search Unity

Monodevelop broken in unity 4.5.2 windows 8

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by pointcache, Jul 24, 2014.

1. pointcache

pointcache

Its unusable, it hangs, mouse refuses to work in menus ( for example you can click on checkbox and its highlighted ... but its not swtiching i have to press SPACEBAR for it to work)
    it refuses to show classes info, scroll not working , the cursor stuck in bracket state,
    and the worst is the lag i get, THE LAG first time i experience this.

2. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Switch to Visual Studio. Mono is just horrible. I feel like pulling out my hair by its roots whenever it hangs. Visual studio is a breeze and the intellisense is just pure gold.

3. pointcache

pointcache

Which one you suggest? Theres a 2010 2012 etc im not a pro i really don't know im going all over google now to not bother you with "how to install" etc but at least tell me which one is preferable.

4. raycosantana

raycosantana

Im using 2012 express

With this wrapper you can just double click on a script an it will open it in visual studio directly as it was monodevelop:
    http://www.pipefantasy.com/?p=1303

5. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

6. pointcache

pointcache

Thanks guys it works flawlessly im very happy.

7. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

You can also select your script editor from the editor preferences (under "External Tools") BTW.

8. pointcache

pointcache

Thanks Rene i tried that but it opens new window each time, do you know how to change that?

9. raycosantana

raycosantana

I know, but it doesn't work the same.

Check the link I gave to you, follow the steps but I think you need to put monodevelop back in the "extrenal tools" menu as the wrapper works by replacing monodevelop's executable.

pointcache likes this.
  10. pointcache

pointcache

Im greatfull for help but sadly i already installed VS2013 :(
    its ok anyway im fine with navigating tree in VS.

11. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

There is probably a VS setting that will fix that. Just pluck up some courage and go hunting. Worst that could happen is you totally screw up the install...

12. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter

I'm not having any of these problems with MonoDevelop in Windows 8.1/Unity 4.5.2, it's working the same as it always has.

13. raycosantana

raycosantana

There are problems, I have them my self but apparently it depends on a variety of factors, in my case its was the language layout of my keyboard (Spanish) Monodevelop wont let me type any key combinations containing the ctrl+alt keys which in the Spanish keyboard layout is needed write square and curly brackets among other important symbols.

14. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

I've run into quite a few problems. Some of them are:
    • Horrible Intellisense
    • The Monodevelop load up screen gets stuck and stays there preventing me from using it.
    • It's hangs quite a few times (especially when dealing with large scripts).