Search Unity

MonoDevelop 4 Woes

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by AntFitch, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Saxi

Saxi

They do work, but almost all of them have tools to decompile them equally as easy. And yes it is a problem with anything dot.net. I love C# but I hate that aspect of it.

UnityVS is too expensive for what it is, but if you use it a ton, it is a good thing to have cause Unity's MonoDevelop sucks, MonoDevelop isn't so bad in general if you run a newer release of it. But since Unity runs stuff that is years old and does not contribute bug submissions.

2. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, kind of... Unity generates the project and solution files for VS (which don't includes JS and Boo files), and another set of project and solution files for MD (all scripts included). Then Unity runs your IDE of choice and tells it to open a script at a specific line.

UnityVS would only work with VS Pro, but you're lucky with Dreamspark...

Wait there guys! Do you really think someone would decompile your finished game and use that code for their own games? I mean, if some people really do that they must suck in programming a lot, and whatever comes out of that will suck even more! And to be actually be able to reuse such code requires more skills than to make that from scratch!

Even if you make your source code publicly available chances that someone would use it to make their own game are still low. Those who'd do that will have to deal with code which comes without any documentation, may possibly contain bugs, and quite likely hacks specific to your own game.

There's huge difference between using a library for making games, and code originated from someone else's game. Your worries are not holding water at all. ;)

3. Morco

Morco

[To developers]

can you plz solve that stupid mouse wheel to work on windows7 ?!!
    it drags me crazy when i have to alt-tab back and forth just to be able to scroll my code !! :mad:

thanks -_-

BTW, anyone knows any alternative as editor which has all the methods for auto-complete ?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  4. Dave-Hampson

Dave-Hampson

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure if this helps but I did have an issue on Windows 8.1 where my scroll wheel stopped working, I resolved it in the end by deleting some MonoDevelop config files and letting it regenerate it. (Sorry I can't recall exactly where these were stored). YMMV

5. Morco

Morco

i don't see any special config folder or so ...
    if u remember what you deleted that made you scroll wheel work, dont hesitate to reply :)

6. Dave-Hampson

Dave-Hampson

Unity Technologies

The two files in here perhaps?

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\MonoDevelop-Unity-4.0\Config

It was a while ago, and it doesn't really make sense because there doesn't seem to be anything in those files about the scroll wheel anyway, but you could give it a try. Make sure you back them up just in case!

7. Morco

Morco

oh well ... deleted them, but nothing changed ... it seems to be quite a bug :(
    tnx anyway

8. RMGK

RMGK

Hey guys, I put an article on my blog on how to switch back to the old version of Mono. I am on a mac with Mavericks and am way happier using the old version of Mono. Hope it helps but I would realllllly like to try using the new Mono, looks so shiny!
    http://blog.collectivemass.com/2014/03/unity-monodevelop-4-woes/

9. FamerJoe

FamerJoe

It's crazy to think that all the fancy meats Unity brings to the table gets stuck between two pieces of old, stale white bread. It's hard to believe the code editor is this antiquated. Since last Unity update, my Mono freezes up every time I try to cut/paste code using Ctrl-Del/Ins. It's awesome.

10. dmitche3

dmitche3

I agree with you 110%. ANY one who even tries to compare Monodevelop with VS is either a complete idiot or so mentally disturbed that they shouldn't be allowed to work on computers. :(

11. pointcache

pointcache

This monodevelop is such a piece of trash why is it even here? It bugs and lags for EVERYONE how can you allow this to happen?!

12. Dave-Hampson

Dave-Hampson

Unity Technologies

I realise that posting comments like this in a thread is a satisfying thing to do: you're using MonoDevelop, it goes wrong and you can vent your frustration. But it achieves nothing else, and it won't help anyone in the future! Imagine our frustration in support reading comments like the one above: there's simply no information for us to work with other than knowing a series of bugs exist in MonoDevelop and they are annoying someone.

Imagine if instead of posting this you had said:
    Now we can do something immediately with this kind of comment: we can look up 123456, 234567, 345678 and see who they are assigned to. We can get an ETA on a fix. Maybe a fix has already occurred in trunk and if it's a safe fix we can backport it! We can hassle whoever is looking at the bug and let them know that someone on the forums would really appreciate a fix. We (or someone else) can link to the issuetracker page in this thread and get a bunch of people to vote on the issue. And we can use information on the issuetracker page to search for various workarounds.

The difference is absolutely huge for us, and ultimately massively beneficial for everyone.

13. pointcache

pointcache

Whoa whoa! Sorry that im being frustrated over a piece of software that supposedly must work, or if it does not, should have been fixed.
    ETA on the fix? This thread started amaranth, Nov 12, 2013 , 8 months ago, how much more to wait for fix?
    I should not show my frustration? I will. You know why? Because thats what people do when they get broken stuff, they go to vendor/manufacturer, show how frustrated they are, and if that doesnt work they proceed in court if they have legal rights to do so.
    So im pretty much not sorry for myself even in slightest and the fact you cant fix your own product for months and now you try to play "shame on you" card here is ridiculous. You know what achieves nothing?
    DOING NOTHING TO FIX THE PROBLEM FOR MONTHS DOES NOTHING.

And my frustrated posts unless they are not removed are here to show to you how people frustrated actually are, so MAYBE, MAYBE you start working on the issue.

Meanwhile i switch to other IDE like everyone else did.

14. Dave-Hampson

Dave-Hampson

Unity Technologies

You could do that yes... it would be quite expensive. Or you could use the Unity Bug Reporter. It's totally free. *edit* There's some more info on the process here: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2013/10/28/bug-reports-incidents-and-some-bashing/

15. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@pointcache, you're mad to wrong people, man ;) Unity ships with MonoDevelop which is a free software and not made by Unity Technologies. It comes "as is" and "use it at your own risk", so you have no rights to take anyone to court for something you didn't pay for. You may have paid for Unity Pro license, but that's totally different. You may have waited for months for MonoDevelop bugs to get fixed, but others have waited for years and still nothing has happened. MonoDevelop is as it is, and as it always was, and may stay like that forever. You are free to change to other IDE if you don't like the free MonoDevelop. You may have to pay a little money though for other IDE's, or a little more if you want to go with the best one out there - Visual Studio. Microsoft just recently bought SyntaxTree, the company behind UnityVS so if you own a VS Professional you'll get UnityVS plugin for free! Still, that would be an option for you only if you're rich enough and you work on Windows. And you have a mighty enough machine to run the beast in parallel with Unity... Otherwise you could support the project I'm working on, Script Inspector which has been in development for more than two years and it's just about to enter beta phase for final testing before the official release. You could also join the testing team which is helping me reach the beta quality. They are receiving new beta candidates every couple of days from me and most of them including me have already using Script Inspector exclusively for code editing! We don't use any other editor anymore, except MonoDevelop for debugging complex problems, i.e. when Debug.Log is not enough... Are you still sceptical? Check this out, a walk-through video made by Michael, one of the pre-beta testers:

showing an older version, but you'll get the idea ;)

16. Dave-Hampson

Dave-Hampson

Unity Technologies

True, but we do have a branch here: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/monodevelop and we do fix bugs. But if no bugs are filed then we can't fix them...
    We do try to encourage people to use the bug reporter. What I simply don't understand is why people choose to just make forum posts.

17. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Dave Hampson: Hehe, you guys already have like 50 bugs in the list, why do you ask for more? :p

It's good to know though, there are actually people assigned to work on those bugs. :D Thanks man, I'm looking forward to see more MD bugs fixed!

18. pointcache

pointcache

"have no rights to take anyone to court for something you didn't pay for."

I like how out of everything i said there only thing takes out by Dave was like

"You could do that yes.."

When i said

"You know why? Because thats what people do when they get broken stuff, they go to vendor/manufacturer, show how frustrated they are, and if that doesnt work they proceed in court if they have legal rights to do so."

And i did NOT said a single word that i have any intention to do so.
    Nice, what can i say lol.

Thanks Flipbokee i use VS now its perfect.

Ya, i get it - Unity and Mono are two different camps... But still i don't get it, if you know it is a pile of rubbish that people run from, and you are a big corp with millions that is able to chose from wide variety of stuff, why on earth you would decide to hold on to something like mono? Where is the logic? You know there is a huge problem, you know it hurts your reputation (arguable, but whatever), so even not providing any IDE at all would be a better decision than to keep this bugfested lagodrome.
    I don't get it is mono part of your family? I can imagine me caring about my brother like that, you love him disregarding all his flaws. But if you have a choice, why?

19. Dave-Hampson

Dave-Hampson

Unity Technologies

I'm confused now, are you talking about Mono or MonoDevelop? You sounded like you were talking about MonoDevelop, but you keep saying Mono. Assuming you are talking about MonoDevelop though, what would you suggest as an alternative?
    Also, if you think not providing any IDE is better than shipping MonoDevelop, why don't you simply not use it?

20. Bropoc

Bropoc

After having a bunch of problems with MonoDevelop 4.0.1 being slow and buggy, I reverted back to Unity 4.1.5.

21. Dave-Hampson

Dave-Hampson

Unity Technologies

The problem there is that you will be missing out on the substantial fixes with Unity 4.5. What happens if you use a combination, the old version of MonoDevelop with the latest release of Unity? Is that stable?

22. FamerJoe

FamerJoe

The biggest problem(s) I have with MonoDevelop aren't reportable bugs -- in other words, I don't report bugs that I can't reproduce, and in MonoDevelop's case, it's all has to do with overall stability. Probably 3-5 times a day I have to close MonoDevelop out using the task manager, only to discover that somehow more than 1 copy ended up open in memory yet only one copy is open (I can't explain). Also, sometimes the tabs lose the ability to be clicked on, loses code highlighting (turns all red), as well as just freezes and lag others have mentioned. Once I close all instances in memory and reopen it's usually ok for a little while again. I could report these issues, but like I said, they just happen without a real rhyme or reason. I can't imagine you (along with everyone else) haven't seen them all yourself... unless my computer is just messed up :)

23. alonsoGarrote

alonsoGarrote

Hello there,
    That situation, about the tabs not able to be clicked on happened to me.
    Thought it was an OS + bad mouse issue.
    Also, Whenever I try to restart the OS, I have to cmd+Q on Monodevelop, otherwise the OS cant close it byitself.
    Besides that, I NEVER had a major issue with it.
    BTW, im using Unity 4.3.4 with latest monodevelop on OSX Lion.
    Regards,

24. draber

draber

Apologies for the horrible thread necro, but this is exactly the issue I'm having. I'm wondering if anyone's found a solution for it yet...

I'm on 10.9.5 on OSX and 4.0.1 on MonoDevelop and a Logitech M705 mouse.