Search Unity

[Modular] PBR SciFi Pack

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Jakob-R, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

I don't think it can be automated. Its not so difficult if you are familiar with PS, basically you have to make sure that your albedo(diffuse) is correct and also your specular maps have to be. You have to research on the web to find the correct values for the material(s) you are working on. On the gloss map you have artistic freedom.

2. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Well, I could test them out with 1 model and textures that cover Diffuse, Specular, Normal, Emission, AO, Height Map etc? I can post screenshot examples in this thread, if people would like to see? :) Ill send you a DM if you are interested.

3. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

No idea. When Unity 5 comes out, I think there will be a hunger for anything PBR related (educational and specific assets). An e-book (perhaps outside of the asset store) that dove into different PBR texture approaches using Quixel stuff, Substance Painter, xNormal, using existing PBR textures, and so on could be popular.

4. Becoming

Becoming

Definitely interested in seeing some screens :D

5. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Im excited in taking some screens! :D

6. lazygunn

lazygunn

Hey lets not forget Knald if you want to have a lot of fun baking maps, and its all gpu so it does everything incredibly fast. Wont make your gloss and specular maps but it will make height, normal, derivative, AO (One based on the normal/height map, the other on a mesh itself that you provide, and a joy for all people wanting to get into funky shaders - transmissive. Def worth a look.

Ive found specular and gloss maps to be very much down to art decisions and what 'feels right', real world materials are so complex that some artistic license must be had to get these qualities down well in PBS approach

7. tomaszek

tomaszek

Ah, the demo is very nice. I'm wondering if you could get usage of your heightmaps included (using kind of PBR parallax shader) ? I believe thatyou could try to make some in ShaderForge, too.

Also - lighting is very realistic, however, not everybody can name the difference (even if they feel that there is something "out there"), so preparing and presenting more materials that have stronger glossiness (up to mirror) in this kind of environment, preferably using box projection would convince more potential users.

Tom

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  8. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

Here is a part of the materials using the included shaders, grease your scrollwheel ;)

MaterialPreview1.jpg MaterialPreview2.jpg MaterialPreview3.jpg

tomaszek and NomadKing like this.
  9. tomaszek

tomaszek

delicious PBR :)

10. Becoming

Becoming

wow that looks mindblowingly good :) would also make a very nice collection of thermal detonators!!!

11. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

Holy smokes, this Asset Pack has alot more textures in it than I originally thought. Might take some extra time for me to properly go through it and test it out in Unity 5!

12. ZJP

ZJP

:D

13. Aieth

Aieth

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    NomadKing likes this.
  14. ludiares

ludiares

Just to get an idea, what roughness value do you have set as a base value for your metals, without taking into account variations?

15. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

16. Becoming

Becoming

Looks great, only that the spheres have some uv stretching, would look much better if you would use either tiling or out of bounds uvs on the sphere(better option). Also i think less glossiness would look better but that is a matter of taste. Spec values seem to work perfectly :D

hopeful likes this.
  17. Aieth

Aieth

Increased tiling and reduced glossiness a bit. Didn't have the patience to print screen all of them again, so here's 8 spheres :p

Spheres_rough_less.png Spheres_rough_less2.png

18. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

First quick test with Jove 2.0 Alpha, cant wait to play more with it!

Jove1.jpg

eagle555, blueivy, tomaszek and 2 others like this.
  19. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

tomaszek and LaneFox like this.
  20. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

Screen1_SF.jpg Screen14_SF.jpg Screen23_SF.jpg Screen10_SF.jpg Screen17_SF.jpg

tomaszek likes this.
  21. hopeful

hopeful

Very nice!

22. Griffo

Griffo

Looks great ..

23. Becoming

Becoming

Congratulations on the release! Awesome Work!!!

24. hopeful

hopeful

Congrats! I see it is on the store now.

Possibly you need a few more sample pictures ...? ;)

25. Griffo

Griffo

Link please, I don't see it .. :(

26. hopeful

hopeful

27. THoeppner

THoeppner

Hey Jakob, I just bought the package. At the moment I'm really strucked down by the amount of pieces the package contains :)

At the first glance it really looks great. But I'm thinking I need some days to find my way through all the parts ;)

One thing I noticed: As I tried to open the Snazzy Tools window the console gets filled with a null reference exception and the window is empty. Thats because the installation path of the Snazzy Tools is wrong. You have to set the install Path to [Modular]/ in the SnazzyToolsEditor.cs file (or any other path where you install the package):

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class SnazzyToolsEditor: EditorWindow
    2. {
    3.    static public string installPath = "[Modular]/";

28. Jakob-R

Jakob-R

Yes, sorry... i'll add a readme file that explains what THoeppner said above. Another option is to just move the SnazzyTools folder into the project root.

The issue is the assetstore guys declined my pack first because SnazzyGrid was added as a unitypackage. For some reason they dont want that...

Thanks for the purchase, i hope you like it... a good tip about the big amounts of parts is to make prefabs of your constructions as you need them, once you have some ready you can build much faster.

29. Griffo

Griffo

Thanks for the link ..

30. tynew

tynew

I don't know if its just me but the demo I get around 400fps with no lights/image affects. Then if I use either one of them my fps drops to about 30! What's strange also is that if then turn both of them on I drop only another 15 frames.

I have a HD 6950. I can't even handle looking at a floor or wall. Any ideas?

31. tomaszek

tomaszek