Search Unity

Modular Builder

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Yuvine, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Yuvine

Yuvine

Hey everyone

We are developing a tool to create structures made of modular assets. Our approach is based on our own experience and various game development tools we looked at.

Terrain02.jpg Terrain03.jpg Building01.jpg Building02.jpg Interior02.jpg

How does it work?

You define a structure by creating blocks. The proper module is automatically selected by predefined rules. A structure can be anything, for example:
    • buildings
    • interiors
    • terrains
    • props
    The modules adapt whenever a change is made to the structure.

Each module has a set of rules that define where it applies. The rules are based on links between the blocks that you create. Further specialized rules allow you to add new behaviours to the structure.

After a structure has been created, the modules can be manually edited.

The idea is to create a tool that comes with a set of default structures and modules which you can replace and adjust to your own needs. We will also provide high quality asset packs that integrate with the tool.

Further ideas..
    • Support for 2d
    • Procedural generation
    • Runtime builder

While developing the tool we created some visual prototypes to show what kind of structures you can make. We would love get some feedback on:
    • What would you use this tool for?
    • What type of assets would you be looking for? (Buildings, Terrain, 2d, 3d, Props)
    • Would you be interested in creating your own models?
    • Are you interested in procedural generation?
    Tell us any other idea that pops into your head about this tool!

2. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

How awesome is that???
    If it would have runtime support i would a thousand euros against my screen :D

vonFinck likes this.
  3. Kombiice

Kombiice

Nice !!

4. CrisisSystem

CrisisSystem

Seriously. Awesome.

5. sford

sford

Very cool.

6. CrisisSystem

CrisisSystem

The house is what gets me. I went "waaaooowww" when I saw it.

Rodiaz89 likes this.
  7. vonFinck

vonFinck

Thanks for the thumbs up! It is greatly appreciated as well as any ideas on what you would be looking for in such a tool. We want to design it as a powerful tool to generate qualitative content fast.

8. Kombiice

Kombiice

This would be so helpful when making a open world game. Assassins creed does it similar, but with generation. You can draw blocks of houses. Terrain looks nice, too

9. CrisisSystem

CrisisSystem

For the hills/terrain bits, I think it'd be good to give a slope option. It'd really expand what a dev could do with it.

Anisoropos and Rodiaz89 like this.
  10. Mister-D

Mister-D

looks awesome! i really like the house builder, i want it

vonFinck likes this.
  11. S4G4N

S4G4N

Good looking stuff you putting together here.
    I will be keeping an eye on this.

I have several modular packages, Interiors & Exterior that can benefit from Tools like this.
    Users are always looking for powerful yet easy to use solutions that can assist in getting more out of art packages that they have or might be looking at purchasing.

vonFinck and Rodiaz89 like this.
  12. Yuvine

Yuvine

Thanks for the responses!

Well that's exactly the price we had in mind! :) Joking aside, we have it on our roadmap but there are a bunch of things we need to implement before we get there.

Yeah the slope should be there but at the moment the assets you are seeing are examples of what you can do. We still haven't decided what types of assets we will publish, any suggestions?

Definitely, the tool should work with any modular pack but it will require some setup so the modules automatically adapts based on the structure. Depending on the complexity of the structure you might need to set up a lot of modules. We are figuring out a "Template" of pieces to support all possible combinations.

There are a lot of things we have to think about since the tool should allow to create any modular structure. So, if you've worked with modular assets before, it would be awesome to hear about what problems you've encountered to take them into account.

S4G4N likes this.
  13. soleron

soleron

What happened with this? Sounds interesting.