Search Unity

Modo Indie on Steam

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by red2blue, Dec 12, 2014.

1. red2blue

red2blue

Hi,

just saw that there is a new Modo Version on Steam called Modo Indie. Here are the specs of this version:

MODO indie vs MODO SE

Based on your feedback and success of MODO Steam Edition we have added features and made numerous improvements in what is now MODO indie. If you previously purchased MODO Steam Edition from the Steam storefront we want you to know that we appreciate your business and all owners of MODO Steam Edition will receive a FREE upgrade to MODO indie.

To better meet your needs as an independent artist MODO indie now includes:

• MODO indie has no commercial restrictions for individual use. You are free to use your creations for paid commercial products, for your own personal projects, or even as a learning tool
    • We’ve upped the FBX and OBJ poly output limit to 100k
    • Dynamics, animation, and rendering capabilities have been added
    • Affordable subscription option now available
    Differences between MODO indie and full MODO

• Project file (.lxf) linked to Steam account / cannot be shared with other users
    • OBJ and FBX export limited to 100k polys
    • Bake and render resolution limited to 4k
    • Command eval options unavailable
    • Command, scripts, and command history panel results unavailable except “undo” and “history”
    • Python editor, third-party scripts, and third-party plugins unavailable
    • OBJ and FBX export only
    • Can import all formats but can only save in .lxf format
    • Image save formats limited to .png, .jpg, .tiff and .exr

Overview:

• OBJ and FBX export limit expanded to 100k polys (200K Tris)
    • .lxf files are encrypted and locked to an individual Steam user ID/license
    • Limited Bake and Render resolution to 4k
    • Full dynamics toolset
    • Full animation toolset
    • Full rendering toolset
    • Command eval options in the system menu disabled
    • Remove Commands, Scripts and results from Command History panel removed except Undo
    • and History
    • Form Editor disabled **Note: this will be made available in first update
    • Form Layout added
    • Python editor and third-party script loading disabled
    • Third-party plugin loading disabled
    • Kit management options from the system menu disabled
    • Export is FBX and OBJ only
    • Can only save in .lxf format, although can still import all formats.
    • Image save formats limited to .png and .jpg, .tiff and .exr
    • Dota 2 Export functionality removed
    • Available on Mac and Win only
    • Full stock content is available for download
    • MODO Steam Plugin will only work with MODO SE and not MODO indie
    Here is the Link to the page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/321540 it is right now on sale for 209€. Guess $ is cheaper (like allways).

Since I use mainly Blender, I have no experience with Modo. Didn't found much tutorials. Played a little bit with the 30 days trail and it seems nice. Spend much time with UV Unwrap and was very dissapointed, but I did try and error (allways my seams were deleted). Will spend more time with it. If somebody knows Modo and knows good Tutorials I would really appriciate some links.

I guess this version is interessting for single devs / artists to get into an expensive software. I say single, because there is no way of collaboration between 2 indie versions. The lxf format is encrypted with Steam ID. And it seams, that there is now way right now to step up to Modo full and use the stuff you created with Indie.

So have a look! May be interessting for one or two ;)

2. Frednaar

Frednaar

I also downloaded the 30 day trial and watched digital tutors videos that come along.
    It seems a very polished and especially fast modeler, I am surprised this offer doesn't get more attention...
    Am I missing something ?

3. red2blue

red2blue

I don't know especially since there is no commercial restriction beside the 100K polygone (200K tris) level which I think is not a dealbreaker for gamearts. In the forum are some people that mention the mission script / addon support. Don't know how important that is for Modo. I use some custom scripts within blender and they are very valuable for me. Maybe that is the same here. But I think for this huge discount to the full version you have do deal with it.

There are some rumors about, that the foundry (Modo devs) is gone be sold by the owning investment group, but I think that this is not why people are not so much interessted....

I am happy, that some of the major / professional 3D Modeler get cheaper versions for Indie Devs like us. Makes it affordable to get into them to make some more experiences.

Will use the next days to get a little bit deeper into it to see if it is worth the price.

4. LarryWP

LarryWP

I used the 30 day trial of the commercial version and also did some of the Digital Tutors tutorial. My opinion is that Modo is excellent. I have used Maya and 3ds Max 2012 and I prefer Modo, even though I am by no means a pro artist, but I do know a good interface when I use one. :)

I did a TON of online research for Modo and export\import with Unity, and the deal breaker for me is that the Indie version does not allow third party plug ins After reading many woes on their forums about this issue, I decided unless I bought the commercial version, I would just be asking for problems. It clearly needs a certain plugin to make importing to Unity better.

They are having a sale from the 17th to the 19th and Modo Commercial is 40% off, but that's still too steep for me. I am a hobby developer and retired too, so I am not really planning on supporting Steam with my wonderful creations. :)) It's a great price and worth every penny I think, but for devs like me, I wish companies had a special offer.

My advice if you are contemplating the Indie version, look in their own forums and search the posts good. That's what gave me my answer. Also, do a good testing of importing your models into Unity with the Indie version and see if it will work for your level of detail.

5. SolitudeSA

SolitudeSA

It's a dream come true. I've always wanted Modo but it was just too expensive. Then the Steam Edition came out and it was just too restricted. Now it's perfect, except for one thing: Scripts aren't available.

Luckily it sounds like they are considering having certain scripts that will be approved. Like the Farfarer scripts and so forth which will be amazing.