Search Unity

Mobile Environment Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jacal, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Jacal

Jacal

Hi everybody,

My latest project is almost ready,
    The Mobil Environment Pack is uber-low-poly, diffuse only, optimized for light-mapping, rich in variety and created with mobile development in mind...

Soon in the Unity AssetStore. The introduction price will be $90.00 the first month after release.

Update 1.1

Features:

Bushes: 4 species in 45 variations.
    Grass: 4 types in 42 variations.
    Plants: 14 different species in 88 variations.
    Trees: 10 different species in over 156 variations.
    Underbrush: 8 types in 68 variations.
    Cave-kit: 64 Prefabs like cave-walls, stalagmites, crystals, spiderweb, etc to build customized low-poly caves.
    Rocks/Stones: 13 differnt types of rocks and stones from small to big in over 410 variations.
    Terrain-Textures: 16 Terrain Textures
    Shacks: 6 different types of shacks in 12 variations (normal and snow materials).
    Shack-Addons: 32 Addons in 64 variations like fences, roofs, stairs, walks, walls. Etc for unique looking villages.
    Props: 46 Prefabs.
    Skyboxes: 4 athmospheric skyboxes
    Scripts: Atmospheric-system: Collision based renderfog,sky-box color and light fading script.
    FX: Over 4 Shurriken Particel Effects and 2 different light-cones.
    LODGroups: Mostly all assets comes with LOD groups for optimal performance.

Including 9 demo-scenes, and 5 inventory scenes.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  2. SteveJ

SteveJ

Wow - this looks VERY nice. Well done :)

3. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I am very interested, but what's the poly count? Can you list them individually as triangles?

4. janpec

janpec

Very nice pines are looking really good especially the snowy ones, might i ask are you working full time on those packs? I am asking becouse you keep releasing one after another:D

5. spartan

spartan

Hi!
    Can you show the performance of each scene on an iPhone 4?

thanks

6. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi jacal,

that looks really great, congrats!

but i have noticed that you use a huge amount of alpha cut out materials covering a lot of screen space and doing so is a big performance killer at least on ios devices as far as i know.
    instead of using alpha testing it is much faster to do alpha blending on powerVR hardware. however this will give you the common z-fighting problems unless you do expensive z-sorting.
    unfortunately a lot of android devices like alpha testing more than alpha blending, and so you – or we – are trapped…

at least i might be a fist step to raise the number of polygons as even mobile devices can handle a lot of them by now. use those additional triangles to e.g. model the inner parts of big banana leaf and attach a non transparent material, then add just a few and very small tris at the edges using a transparent material which will define the final shape of the whole leaf.
    of course this method does not work for broadleaf textures...
    on some models it just might be the best to drop transparency at all: like the hut’s wall made out of bamboo.

you might want to have a look at this thread:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/136752-ats-Mobile-Foliage-released

and please let me know, if you obtain other findings,

lars

7. Jacal

Jacal

@SteveJ: Thanks man !
    @I am da bawss: Thats a good point, I'm releasing detailed polycount list soon.
    @janpec: Thank you, I'm spending a lot time on creating AssetStore content, but I've got often some work between the projects.
    @larsbertram1: Thanks, I've used the Unity build in shaders this time, but it's very nice to have your shaders for a performance boost on mobile. Much appreciated !
    @spartan: I can't show it because I haven't an iPhone 4 yet, but the scenes running fluently on my iPad 4 with Unity IOS free.
    here're some screens with stats on it to show off the basic performance of the scenes:
    $MEP-Performance-01.jpg $MEP-Performance-02.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  8. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Not sure if its because of your original image resolution or your hosting service resized them - I can't read those stats. They are way too small to be readable.

9. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi jacal,

the number of draw calls really looks impressiv: good job!

nevertheless: i have not been talking about "optimized shaders" as the "mobile foliage shaders" are not faster than the built in ones.
    they simply add bending… that’s all (in fact they are even more expensive due to the fact that they do a lot of vertex calculations).

instead i was talking about the performance of alpha cut out vs. alpha blending especially on ios devices.
    as you latest screenshoots show: nearly the whole screen is filled with meshes using materials which use a alpha cut out shader – what simply kills your frame rates on any ios device: grass, smaller foliage and tree leaves – they all cover a lot of screen space.
    so it might be a task to make your models look nice even with alpha blend shaders or add some more polys in order to reduce overdraw and fill rate.

lars

10. Jacal

Jacal

@I-am-da-bawss: You can right-click and open picture in new tab.

11. Jacal

Jacal

@larsbertram1: Lars thats very kind of you, but especially this scene runs pretty fluently on my iPad 4 even on Unity ios free without occlusion culling and static batching. :) BTW also a good option is to use LOD models without transparency for far stages.

12. spartan

spartan

Do you get 60FPS on your iPad?

13. Burletech

Burletech

Looks great man. My only worry is that testing it on an iPad 4 isn't really getting a good feel for mobile performance. Like testing a PC game on SLI'd Titans and saying it runs great on Desktop lol.

Either way I'm sure this will sell well. It looks amazing. Great Job!

14. spartan

spartan

Agreed, you should test it on lower end devices ;)

15. fano_linux

fano_linux

Looks very professional. Congratulations

16. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi jacal,

i really do not want to spoil your thread or even discredit your work which looks just beautiful.
    so if your scene runs fluently on ipad 4 this generation of hardware might handle alpha cut out materials much better than the previous ones.
    and assuming that your package is AAA it might take a while to finish a AAA game using your assets – time enough for the hardware to get even faster.
    nevertheless i had a closer look at epic’s citadel and the sky castle demo from Imagination Technologies (both not really up to date i have to admit but still outstanding) on powerVR and both solely use alpha blend shaders on any kind of vegetation.

lars

17. shwa

shwa

Gorgeous!!

If one is targeting the iPad, one of the challenges is that Apple is still selling the iPad 2.
    I'm using an iPad 3.

Jacal, you may want to also check this demo on an iPad 2 and 3.
    If performance is a bit sluggish on either, i'm hoping removing some of the models will smoothen things out, or implementing any other workarounds that still keep the integrity of your work.

Smart move to offer a mobile pack.

/ shwa

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  18. janpec

janpec

Hm lars but isnt alpha blending done by vertex edges ? It would mean all plants would need double edges in order to achive more harder blending of cuted leafs, i just can image polycount flying trough the roof. Or did you had something else in mind?

19. uni7y

uni7y

wow... looks great!! definitely on my to buy list!

20. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Even when viewing the original it's unreadable / too small

21. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi janpec,
    i am not sure what you mean with "vertex edges" –*alpha blending is just the standard method when using the transparent queue / shaders.
    it does lead to some z-fighting problems when using on different faces of the same object but is really fast on ios devices – much faster then alpha testing (know as cut out).
    as hard edges are concerned: take the citadel demo and have a look at the ivy leafs on the walls: pretty sharp edges i think. those depend mostly on your texture size. usually alpha blending will give you some kind of anti aliasing you otherwise have to pay for.
    btw. using lightmaps will need double sided geometry anyway.

lars

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  23. Jacal

Jacal

Thanks for all your comments and interest, Much appreciated!

The pack is now live in the AssetStore: Mobile Environment Pack

Have fun,
    Philipp

24. Jacal

Jacal

Here are again the basic stats snapshots a bit larger and separate for better viewing:

$Unity 2013-06-04 19-09-46-32.jpg $Unity 2013-06-04 19-19-40-50.jpg $Unity 2013-06-04 19-20-41-07.jpg $Unity 2013-06-04 19-21-46-79.jpg $Unity 2013-06-04 19-22-42-22.jpg

25. Jacal

Jacal

26. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Easy to read now :)

damn that's really low poly / cost for the look it has!

27. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Really impressive work!!! A for sure purchase.

28. napster

napster

Excellent work Jacal, environments looks great specially snow level

29. Jacal

Jacal

Thanks for the kind words.Much appreciated!

30. StarAbove

StarAbove

Seems like a great pack! I know Jacal tested it on the Ipad 4 and it runs great but did anyone tested it on the Iphone 4? How fast was it?

31. SevenBits

SevenBits

Hi, I have a question. Is this a lower poly version of your other environments, or are these totally separate art pieces? They look really good...!

32. Jacal

Jacal

Thanks ,the assets are totally separate, created new from the ground up.

33. im

im

im interested but do you sell or make available a pc equivalent with higher resolution graphics and higher poly version

34. SevenBits

SevenBits

As demonstrated by the answer he gave to my question, no. But there are some other spectacular packs, like the Midevil pack. The textures there are higher resolution and look brilliant.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  35. im

im

i saw your exchange, but i was hoping he would take notice that there is an opportunity here, not just for the mobile and he does have the original assets that if he wanted could use to create a different offering that someone like myself could make sure of. So far I have purchased his BEP off the asset store and I am also looking right now at getting BEP2. But I think this one as it complements and extends those other works so do like it a lot, but i need higher resolution graphics and poly.. Perhaps he could do something with this one to make a BEP3...

36. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

37. Jacal

Jacal

@Im: The MEP models and textures are created for mobile and low-end-machines, but more packs will come also desktop optimized ones.
    @Play_Edu: Thanks.

38. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Any chance you could do some higher end desktop ones? 4k textures, mich higher poly budget etc?

39. PatBGames

PatBGames

Hi Jacal, and thank you for this excellent package.

I would like to have more explanation about how the examples scenes were built. I will take the MEP_Scene_05 for my purpose and the mesh MEP_DesertCliff_18_Tris441_N (an arch of rock).

When I look at the project window, this mesh is stored in the scene directory, it is not part of the base package (MEP_Environment). If I understand well, it is a combination of multiple meshes of the base package (MEP_DesertCliff_18 and another mesh).

What was the process to build this scene ?
    Have you initially put a lot of basic meshes into the scene from the base package, and then, combined them with a tool like Simple Mesh Combine to optimize draw calls?

40. Jacal

Jacal

@Pat-AfterMoon: Thanks man, I created the scenes exactly like you said, I use PlayEditor. for object placement and merging.

41. PatBGames

PatBGames

Thank you for the quick answer. This PlayEditor seems very interesting, good idea to point it out ;)

42. Jacal

Jacal

@Pat-AfterMoon: No problem, You're welcome. :)

43. Jacal

Jacal

New MEP update coming soon, containing a bunch of new models including the demo scene from the video, diffuse only, low-poly with LOD models.

Thanks for watching !

44. Livvy

Livvy

I want it i want it i want it haha

Hell Yeah!!!!!

45. PatBGames

PatBGames

Whoa, I'm impatient to get that!

46. Jacal

Jacal

@Livvy: :) Thanks, I've submitted it yesterdy, so it could be live this week.
    @Pat-AfterMoon: Thanks ! :)

47. PatBGames

PatBGames

Hi Jacal,

I've just updated my Mobile Environment Pack to 1.1 (17 dec 2013) from the Asset Store, but I can't see the lava scene.

Isn't it supposed to be here ? Is it an Asset Store bug (description updated but not the asset itself).

48. Jacal

Jacal

@Pat AfterMoon: Hi, I created a new seperate folder for the update content to avoid any problems, normally the scene can be find under: MEP/ MEP_Update1.1_Scenes.

49. PatBGames

PatBGames

It's okay, I have re-downloaded the asset and now I have the "MEP_Update_1.1_Environment" and "MEP_Update1.1_Scenes" folders (thanks to the Asset Store feature that allows to force download even when everything seems to be up to date).

This update is excellent, keep up the good work.

Note : you should update the description of the asset and add a link to your new scene video.

50. Jacal

Jacal

@Pat AfterMoon: I'm glad you like the update, and thanks for the feedback, you are right with the description and video link, I will fix that soon as possible.