Search Unity

Mobile Augmented Reality/Geo Reality Zombie Invasion FPS game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by bobcat53, Nov 16, 2011.

1. bobcat53

bobcat53

Hi all, just wanted to share my latest Honours project with everyone.

It's an Augmented Reality/Geo reality FPS using the gyroscope and camera. I'm also using the compass and GPS to track the player's location and use the nearby landmarks as part of the game world. For instance, real-life shops become shops in-game and real life hospitals + pharmacies can heal you in game. It's an attempt to combine both the real world and digital world together :)

Here is a list of plugins that I used:

sleglik's RPG kit
    Prime31's corelocation + AR plugin
    UIToolkit
    iTween
    FingerGestures v2.1.2
    Mixamo's zombie pack (saved me a weeks worth of animations :))
    Armory/Gun assortment pack

I'll be happy to answer any questions and please give me some feedback!

2. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Will be interesting to see people walking around focusing on their iPad and running into things or getting hit by a car. :) This is really cool though, shame its so jittery.Would be cool to play zombies from COD in your house. You can dictate where windows and doors are and put markers on the floor. The camera would pick up said markers and make the zombies actually move on your plane and not all jittery

3. TehWut

TehWut

Yeah, too bad the zombies are all floaty. Is that even possible to do with the markers and things?
    besides that, it looks really good, I am impressed.

4. bobcat53

bobcat53

Unfortunately it's really hard to align the virtual world to the real world properly using the gyroscope, you'll run into tonnes of perspective, sight elevation, field of view and depth problems.

The alternative of using markers is impractical given that the game is meant to be playable anywhere in the world :(

The only way I can think of is use motion tracking technology used in films/vfx but that has to be done in real time so the computing power needed is immense... We'll just have to see what the future holds :D

Glad you guys liked it, the challenge for me is to design something that can utilise the GPS and real world locations as part of the gameplay. I knew I was going to have problems with the AR vision which can't be resolved so I just made do with what I could

5. Lypheus

Lypheus

WOW! Great idea and really good job Kain - congratulations, hope to see more fro you in the future.

6. bobcat53

bobcat53

Thanks Lypheus :) I hope to do more in the future as well.

7. lordaddament

lordaddament

Pro... anyway to keep the zombie still while turning. Like it is a real 3D space?

8. bobcat53

bobcat53

It should be possible but it is very hard to get the Scale and depth of objects correct :/ Need more tweaking i guess

9. JPH

JPH

V.nice. :cool:

Implementing with physical objects is the real challenge. As you said, markers are difficult, what about plane/edge detection??

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  10. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Is this going to be on the store? Its fantastic. I can think of several game that this would work great in.

11. Salim

Salim

I think this project has a lot of potential. But yes you need to find a way to make this game playable anywhere without markers.

12. janpec

janpec

Haha exactly.

But really very impressive thing, original, and it has good potential. Just fix floating of objects if possible and you are on good way.

13. bobcat53

bobcat53

Sorry Dreamlarp, this is just a POC for an university project. I would love to get the funding to develop this game further but it takes a lot of resources to map the entire real world into the game :)

@janpec I'm hoping that Apple will eventually use a depth sensing camera like the Kinect on their iOS devices to I can have real world occlusion and hopefully dynamic shadows as well!

14. bobcat53

bobcat53

Sorry Dreamlarp, this is just a POC for an university project. I would love to get the funding to develop this game further but it takes a lot of resources to map the entire real world into the game :)

@janpec I'm hoping that Apple will eventually use a depth sensing camera like the Kinect on their iOS devices to I can have real world occlusion and hopefully dynamic shadows as well!

15. droidsculptor

droidsculptor

Great project, well done! I'm working on a different way of positioning in game characters... went down the AR route for years and GPS but have come full circle almost and looking hard at camera tracking again. Definitely on the same idea, with real and game world. All the AR stuff looks a bit floaty, do you think it's getting too much hype like VR did? excellent work, thanks for sharing

16. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Do you think it may be possible to generate markers on the fly by making a script to pick out unique objects/lights, then tracking that along with the gyroscope?

17. gecko

gecko

Very nice! We've been working along the same lines -- released our first app (mainly a tech demo) "MoonWalking" last month - http://www.moon-walking.com - and we're talking to several historic sites about more elaborate apps using this approach. One thing we found was essential to create a persuasive illusion: shadows (well, fake shadows). We put static shadow textures below the lunar module and astronauts, and it's amazing how much that helps to ground them. It's also important to match the FOV of the Unity camera and device camera so both virtual and real world move as one when you tilt and rotate the app.

18. bobcat53

bobcat53

I think in general, the media is hyping it up a bit too much. I personally hate the concept of AR being solely marker-based. For me, the real potential lies in the integration of relevant local data with the virtual/game world. It would be awesome to have natural feature tracking on the fly like what we use for motion tracking in the film industry but we'll have to wait for the iPhone 9SSS for that :)

We just need powerful enough mobile devices to do motion tracking by picking out natural features like the programs used for live/3d integration in films such as Boujou, Syntheyes. If it can do that in real time without blowing out the cpus then AR will be complete :) Oh we also need real-time occlusion of real objects so the camera needs to be a depth sensing camera like the Kinect. My gyroscope tracking is correct but since there is no real world occlusion, the depth perception is non-existent.

Nice work! The shadows really do help out a lot. I had shadows in Unity but I didn't realise that iOS devices couldn't handle dynamic shadows :( From now on I bake out my shadows and use them like a spritesheet. Another annoying thing is the FOV of the camera devices changes depending on orientation. All of these little things add up to a big problem that needs a lot of time to address :)

19. pomedas

pomedas

Hi, could you explain how do you match the gps coordinates with the Virtual world? Do you have a transformation from latitude and longitude to Cartesian coordinates?

Thanks

20. jpatinop80

jpatinop80

I would like to know how you implement prime31's core location with ar plugin, and which plugin did you use for ar? thanks
    maybe you can sell in the assetstore your project?

21. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Excellent work

22. torres32

torres32

Could you please tell me how did you do to rotate the camera in unity at the same time you move the ipad camera?, I'm creating a location based app using vuforia. I have the ARCamera object, I get latitude and longitude device, but I stil can't figure out how to convert latitude and longitude to of my device to Unity coordinates, and Do I have to change the position of the camera in Unity to be able to view the POI I've created? For my POI I have also a latitude and longitude, regards

23. sajadhedayat

sajadhedayat

hey i want make an game but i have a problem can you help me.?
    this is my mail sajad0hedayat@gmail.com
    please send me massage for speak about that..

24. Apparaten_

Apparaten_

You sir, foresaw pokemon go. Interresting...