Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mixamo Auto-Rigger Alternatives

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Simmo76, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Simmo76

Simmo76

Hi there,

I've been using the miximo autorigger quite a bit - have found it to be extremely user friendly although I'm at the point where cost wise I simplly can't afford to pay $79 for each download or $1500 per year for unlimited access (at this stage anyway). All I need is simple biped autorigging for basic, low-poly meshes.

Does anyone know of an easy-to-use, cheap(er) alternative to Mixamo?

BTW I have tried Rigify for Blender although I'm not that familiar with blender and spent about an hour fiddling around trying to get the rigg look/act correctly. Mixamo made it happen in mere seconds.

It would be much appreciated if anyone could point me in the right direction. Any reasonably priced off the shelf products or assets in the unity Asset store that people know of?

Thanks in advance,
    Simon

2. jRocket

jRocket

As far as I know, Mixamo is the only one doing this. Your best bet is learning Blender. Maya LT also has a good rigging solution.

3. gryff

gryff

Well, as jRocket suggests, doing it yourself is not that hard.If you want to try Blender then these tuts by a professional show you how easy it can be:

Intro to rigging by Lee Salvemini

Hardest part is rigging the hands - all the finger bones. If you don't need them then just select them all and delete them - basically Tut1 of the three .

cheers, gryff :)

4. artzfx

artzfx

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

If you're not tied to existing models, have you considered UMA?

As an alternative, you can build and rig one free character per week using Mixamo Fuse.

If you have Maya or Max, Mixamo provides free rigging scripts for them.

There's also Jimmy|RIG.

6. CodeMonke234

CodeMonke234

Maya LT is only $50/month and does a great job rigging.

Has HumanIK to make humanoid rigs really,really easy...

And it integrates great with Unity.

$50 month - unlimited rigging

7. Arcanor

Arcanor

I've heard rumors about "automatic rigging" tools for Maya LT, but I've not been able to confirm the existence of these. Has anyone else got more information about that?

8. vidi

vidi

It is called Human Ik
    It is shown in this video from 3:55

thorikawa and -chris like this.
  9. davbar9

davbar9

I am interested too in other autorriger. Because mixamo autoriger now is not for free. Mixamo have a big prize.

10. p87

p87

maya LT is now $20 / month on the annual plan. It has HumanIk for nice skeleton creation, and control rig.

only issue with humanIK is you kind of have to wrestle with it to get joint orients set up right.

however it doesn't automatically bind the skin like mixamo does. Although, Maya LT has geodesic voxel binding now, set the falloff fairly high for a humanoid character - 0.7+. From there it's a good start on skin weights.

11. catberg

catberg

12. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

I'm also looking for a method to auto-rig a character mesh. But isn't it just a matter of connecting each vertex to the closest bone, in which case it shouldn't be difficult to write code to do this (or find existing code)? But maybe I'm missing something, since I don't have any experiencing rigging meshes.

13. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

That tutorial is three videos long.... how easy is it if it takes that long to explain?

14. Rombie

Rombie

Really? I once bought an item that had a 30 page instruction manual. It was easy.

Patience. Just because it takes three videos to teach a process it doesn't make the process hard.

Just gotta start doing it; the more you rig the easier it will become.

15. rewar281

rewar281

I saw a guy on youtube download a deadpool model and using maya's human ik had it rigged and imported working on unity in like 10 minutes character controller included in the tut i think (was close 13 minutes
    )

16. Comfy23

Comfy23

I suggest akeytsu - extremely fast for rigging and also animation. I've learned it in few hours and it's less expensive than Maya LT and more intuitive . Creating skeletons is simple , positioning the joints is fast as it positions the bones in the middle of the mesh when clicking. Weighting is also easy. Very cool new software

Check it out : www.nukeygara.com

17. Hossain-Raiyan

Hossain-Raiyan

18. Doctor06

Doctor06

Mixamo is now free.

19. ParadoxSolutions

ParadoxSolutions

Mixamo is now dead.

20. TonyLi

TonyLi

Is that a philosophical opinion? mixamo.com seems to be working fine. I just downloaded an animation.

21. ParadoxSolutions

ParadoxSolutions

Adobe removed a lot a features, I thought that included the auto rigger but I was wrong. You can still use it to some extent but it is not half of what it used to be.

22. Honorsoft

Honorsoft

Mixamo has been updated several times, improving Unity-compatibility (they have a Unity-specific FBX format). They may have removed some features, like the face-animation scripter, the mesh-morpher, the online storage space(they still allow 1 at a time stored online) and my favorite tool, the Decimator which was a great tool for reducing mesh file size (polygon count), and a couple of other minor things, other than that it's actually the fastest and easiest way to rig a humanoid model for use with Unity, and it's free. It deserves credit, they even offer a massive collection of free animations and models, all nicely organized and textured, and compatible with Unity. One problem with Mixamo is that it only does humanoid models, with two legs and two arms, although you can try non-humanoid models but they get deformed. For rigging capes I was using Blender (free, open-source), but lately I actually have been having success with just importing a cape object (*.obj, *.3ds, *.fbx, etc.) into Unity, attaching it as a child of the object 'wearing' it (the capeless model I rigged in Mixamo), and then adding a cloth component to the cape object. The colliders and default cloth settings need major adjustments, but it turns the cape mesh in to a flowing version of itself.

* It looks like Autodesk still has something like the 'character blender' that the old Mixamo had, it's the Character Generator at:
    https://charactergenerator.autodesk.com/builder/
    (It's free when you sigh up for a free Autodesk ID)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  23. unity_9K4UDvJp9fI_Ww

unity_9K4UDvJp9fI_Ww

The Mixamo Autorigger is the best (and only) one I found. I have found that when it charges you, you can either:
    Create a new account
    Clear cookies ect
    Go to a new PC/Desktop device
    and open the site on your old/new account and you can use as many characters, skeletons and animations as you wish.
    The only downside is some clipping issues and/or parts being animated you don't want to be moved (Like bags) and being unable to rig vehicles for Unreal.

24. ParadoxSolutions

ParadoxSolutions

Well you sure revived a year old thread I forgot about.... but here is an auto rigger that is on the asset store, I like the results it gives:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/animation/puppet3d-111554

And Unity is also releasing some kind of rigging tool that you can find in the package manager.

25. Amon

Amon

operator23 likes this.
  26. Chrisdbhr

Chrisdbhr

Today there is also a downloadable option that works very well called AccuRIG from ActorCore, it has more rigging options than mixamo, also free.

*I am answering this old thread since this is the first google result when searching for this.

thelebaron likes this.