Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Minimal or complex?

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by SirFred, Dec 9, 2014.

1. SirFred

SirFred

Im developing an historical/fictional game, set in 16th century. A mix of action and strategy: first person strategy game.

What GUI I should use?
    Minimal - like Skyrim, only text when needed, full render on screen otherwise. Require more time to achieve complex action.
    Complex - like an average Mmorpg, tons of buttons, images, values, healthbar. Require less time, but covers the screen with several things.

The point is this: How to manage complex things with minimal? Skyrim allow user to use only a couple of things except pause, open inventory and so on. Imagine to administrate a town with minimal graphic. I think the game should be all time in pause.
    But in the other hand, minimal gui points to more realistic interface, without dozen of windows, and other distraction element for eyes...

Any advice is accepted.

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

If you post this question in the Game Design forum, you'll receive many good ideas.

Ultimately, identify the player's primary experience. For example, if it's exploring the world, make the UI minimal. If it's controlling many things, consider making the UI complex. Your choice should enhance the player's primary experience.

SirFred likes this.
  3. SirFred

SirFred

oh Game Design section, didnt saw that section! Im sorry :(

Nice idea Tony, thank you i will think about it