Search Unity

Meteor.js Unity SDK, anyone used this successfully?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Lando9000, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Lando9000

Lando9000

2. miguelangeltfp

miguelangeltfp

Lando9000, sorry.

Could you do a mini tutorial explain how to use that sdk ???

Thank you very much.

3. doctorpangloss

doctorpangloss

Hey guys, this is the author of the SDK here.

I am updating it soon. Wish you the best.

-Ben

Lando9000 likes this.
  4. Lando9000

Lando9000

Cant wait! I currently use meteor and Unity a lot and we are planning to use it a lot more over the next year, looking forward to the update!

5. doctorpangloss

doctorpangloss

6. Lando9000

Lando9000

7. rklausch

rklausch

it works pretty well and it got released as a real unity asset package recently....but unfortunately its currently readonly so you can't insert data into the mongodb directly via this SDK yet....

I'm able to do the write jobs via server js but i have no clue how to send the data from unity to the server via websocket...i'm a pretty noob in websocket to be honest...:)

So, has anyone maybe a tip or better an example to do this? i know it should work via Meteor Methods but i'm not sure how this is actually working..

Thanks in advance

PS: i really think, meteor and especially nosql databases linke mongodb are a very smart, fast and - most importantly - the most flexible way to store all datas for mmo games, and this could get a new standard for it...so doctorpangloss keep up the good work!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  8. doctorpangloss

doctorpangloss

This project continues to be updated. I've included thorough documentation. Take a look and see if it's helpful.

9. rklausch

rklausch

Hello doctorpangloss,

after working with the SDK, it really seems to us the right choice for our project. Everything needed works fine so far.

I just got some last requests, which could be seen more as improvement suggestions.

1. The main advantage of Meteor is, that you can store many different object types in just one collection. And you can (pre-)select your needed objects with the data subscription, by telling the server publication, what to deliver for each subscription. So, for me it'd make more sense, if the subscription itself would do the ORM model creation and returns - like in Meteor the specified object. In your current approach i need to map the whole collection to one object, and the subscription only filters the datasets but not several types of objects. Just a thought....

2. We tried to wrap the Collection<TRecordType>.Create(string collectionName) in a generic class of our engine, to connect to several Collections, but we failed in giving these method a generic type as parameter, it just takes concrete MongoDocument types, which makes it impossible to write a method doing this job for every needed collection. Maybe the is a way, but we can't find it, or,if there's no other way, this would be fine for future releases,

Greetz from Berlin
    Robert

10. rklausch

rklausch

I'm working with the SDK for a while now... all works fine so far. Its stable, fast and quite easy to handle. We're developing a first game with it currently, and are glad about this choice.

But there is still an open question: What about synchronizing the datasets between Client and Server automatically like it is known in the "normal" Webbrowser usage of Meteor. Meteor is keeping all subscribed datas in a Client-Side-Database called Minimongo and is permanently synchronizing these datas with the server so that any changes of these datas are effecting on both sides at the same time.

I'm currently just update the meteor collections manually by firing a meteor method, that is inserting or updating the new or changed stuff on the server.

But usually the subscription is doing these jobs automatically so that i don't need to care to save changes on the server. Its actually what the Meteor publishing/subscription concept is doing.

Is there any best practice, which is better than my approach? Has anyone found a better way to ensure that dataset-changes on the client side are synchronized with the corresponding server publish?
    Maybe i just misunderstood something and you have the clue :)

Many thanks for your help!
    Robert

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017