Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mesh Maker - The Modeling & Editing Collection

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MediaGiant, Oct 11, 2013.

1. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Mesh Maker - The Modeling & Editing Collection
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    This package includes 16 modeling & editing tools for working right in the Unity scene. There are currently six modeling tools, six editing tools, one prefab creation tool, one prefab placement tool, one painting tool and a tool for extending the scene view camera behavior.

Website, Tutorials & Videos - http://www.meshmaker.com
    Asset Store
    - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/11625

The collection continues to grow with new additions being added regularly and improvements being made to the existing tools.

LOD allows you to decimate, combine and create a LOD group, all in one easy action. It works with static meshes, skinned meshes and combinations of the two.

Snap To Grid makes positioning objects in the Unity editor much easier and more accurate. You can snap while in Move, Rotate and Scale modes and to make things even faster you can use the quick transform buttons. The program also includes a handy feature to snap to the terrain height.

Level Editor allows you to create new buildings, models and quickly prototype your levels right in the Unity editor. The program uses an intuitive point and click design style that is very fast and flexible. With a little practice you’ll find this program great for not only prototyping but also for creating very detailed meshes and prefabs for your projects.

Compatible with Unity Free & Pro
    Unity 5 Ready

Mesh Maker Introduction Video
    Level Editor Video Playlist
    3D Brush Video

Mesh Cutter Video
    Mesh Editor Video
    Prefab Maker Video
    Construction Video

Features
    -----------
    LOD - Combine, Decimate and LOD
    Level Editor - Advanced Level & Model Maker
    Snap To Grid - Fast & Accurate Positoning
    Geom - Quick and easy geometric modeling
    Mesh Editor - Advanced mesh editing utility
    Isosurface - Mathematics inspired meshes
    Boolean Ops - Perform CSG operations
    MeshPainter - Paint directly on meshes
    Blenderizer - Object focused editor camera
    Metaballs - Create new organic base meshes
    Mesh Tools - Eleven editing tools in one
    Sculptor - Create new solids of revolution
    3D Brush - Prefab Painting Tool
    Mesh Cutter - Cut, Copy & Paste Parts of Meshes
    Prefab Maker - Combine, Atlas and Auto Prefab
    Construction - Building made quick & easy

Details
    ---------
    Geom
    Geom uses a simple but surprisingly powerful method for creating new 2D and 3D meshes in Unity. Designed to make modeling geometric shapes as painless as possible. Ideal for creating custom shapes quickly, or with a bit more time, very professional models.

geom_screenshot_1.jpg

Mesh Editor
    An advanced mesh editing utility for reshaping, splitting and extruding meshes to name a few features. This program makes manipulating the vertices and triangles of meshes within the editor as easy as possible.

Isosurface
    A modeling program for creating and building meshes based on mathematical formulas. The isosurface is constructed using the Marching Cubes algorithm and the final model can be built with or without shading and single, double sided or inverted.

Boolean Ops
    Boolean operations allow you to create new meshes by performing Subtraction, Union and Intersection between objects. The creation is done in the editor and support for run time operations is in the works.

MeshPainter
    Create custom artwork painting directly on your game objects or collaborate by leaving directions, color choices and other design notes to the team. Now you can literally sketch out your scene before you build!

Blenderizer
    Changes the scene view camera behavior to be object focused as in Blender. Adds smooth rotations, fast zoom and snap to object behaviors.

Metaballs
    Ideal for creating new and organic looking base meshes that can be tweaked with Mesh Editor.

meshmaker_screenshot_d2.jpg

Mesh Tools
    This extension adds eleven handy and essential tools to the collection, featuring the following:

Clone Meshes - Incrementally change the position, rotation and scale of objects before instantiating them.

Move & Rotate Pivot Point - A must have utility that allows you to move and rotate the pivot points of game objects.

Uniform Scaling - This utility is a time saver that allows you to scale an object in more than one dimension at a time.

Snap To Grid - Snap to any position, rotation and scale when setting out your objects in the scene.

Invert Meshes - Create an inverted copy of a mesh for easy room building or creative design ideas.

Flip Meshes - This tool creates reflected copies of a model. It can flip a mesh in the X, Y or Z dimensions.

Split Mesh - Split a mesh into submeshes to apply multiple textures or split the mesh into separate child objects.

Transform Textures - Translate, rotate and scale the textures of an object directly on the mesh.

Real Scale - Change the local scale of an object without changing its scale in Unity.

Double Sided Meshes - Change single sided meshes to double sided. Reveal the inside of houses, cars, anything.

meshmaker_screenshot_h2.jpg

Save Mesh
    - Create a mesh file from the currently selected object.

Sculptor
    Create stunning new models using lines and curves rotated through 360 degrees. Features a changeable background for copying real life objects. Great for creating new base meshes that can be tweaked with Mesh Editor.

3D Brush
    3D Brush allows you to quickly paint prefabs to your scene with all of the features you would expect and many more. Easy to use and intuitive controls. You can also create custom shapes which can then be used as stencils for painting or exclusion.

Includes a new distance feature which prevents overdraw of prefabs for better performance and more natural looking scenes. As well as a steepness feature for painting around cliffs and steep terrains.

3d_brush_screenshot_1.jpg

Mesh Cutter
    Often you will find that you have a large mesh made up of many small parts that have been joined together. Some of the parts you may want to keep but often there are parts you would like to move or remove altogether. With Mesh Cutter you can now quickly select different parts of the mesh and cut, copy, paste or remove them.

The program will preserve the materials and submeshes of the large mesh and create a new mesh and prefab whenever you cut or copy a part, transferring the materials and submeshes to the new object. You can also re-center and adjust the pivot point for the new object to use it elsewhere in your projects.

Prefab Maker
    Select a group of game objects or prefabs and quickly combine them into a single prefab. Texture atlasing is handled automatically but you have the option to manually move, rotate and scale the textures for the best fit. You have full control over the atlas settings to output either highly compressed or hi-res textures.

Construction
    Construction uses procedurally made components to quickly construct your ideal buildings. Using a grid layout makes placing the walls, floors, tiles, roofs, stairs and other features of the building a simple task. By combining these features with your own assets you can quickly create new custom houses, apartments, factories and other structures for your projects.

This package also includes 60 new primitive shapes that were made with Geom.

All updates: New programs are being added regularly so get in early to receive all future additions to the collection at this price.

Geom 2.0 is a great improvement over its predecessor and Mesh Editor has been completely rewritten from the ground up. In time we will continue to improve all of the tools, in performance, in stability and in quality. We appreciate your support and we hope you'll appreciate the results.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  2. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

To help promote MeshMaker in these early days we have now dropped the price to $15 and will be releasing a new feature for the program within a few weeks.

We hope you will support the development of this great modeling tool and plan to keep adding features to make it a one stop shop for all your mesh making and manipulation needs.

Regards
    Alan Baylis a.k.a MediaGiant

3. mk1978

mk1978

Would it possible to develop something like in this Youtube video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe2KY7jeTaM

I mean that it would be possible to create a mesh that would be aligned with terrain shape. I would like to pick points of top of terrain and and create a closed loop that would create a mesh on top of terrain.

4. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I was planning to add an adaptive mesh feature and all within the editor so you don't need to play the game to see the results. At the moment you can create billboards and decals easily but not the grid needed to create that effect.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  5. Ging2020

Ging2020

i want to export a unity asset as a package,but i find no preview picture? please tell me how to make a prevew picture or icon in the package? THX
    View attachment 71220

6. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

@jlklklklklkl This is unrelated to MeshMaker, I hope you have better luck in one of the other threads you asked this same question in.

7. Ging2020

Ging2020

MeshMaker is very nice , This plugin can run on mobile platforms?15 dollar it very attractive

8. V0odo0

V0odo0

Nice tool and good price! What exactly you planning to add with next updates?

9. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi V0odo0, thank you for the comments. I have isosurfaces working so you can enter formulas to create objects procedurally but I need to improve the mesh smoothing by using properly weighted normals before the next release. This will also improve the shading of the current meshes so it's at the top of the list. Next would be better UV handling which I've done before, you can see some of my work here at Freeworld. I am sold on voxels at the moment so I'd like to do something new in that direction. At the moment I'm working on a video showing how to make all the basic shapes so that should be out in a day or so.

10. Whippets

Whippets

Great product, but it would be nice to have some UV handling, or at least make a UV map, so we can design textures that work with our created meshes.

11. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thanks Whippets, I'm glad you liked the program.

After adding triplanar, planar and per triangle UV mapping I realized that correct texturing of an arbitrary mesh requires unwrapping the mesh and quickly became a bigger job than I had expected. The UV handling will be released in version 1.4.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  12. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Mesh Tools v1.2.0 now includes three new tools taking the total to eleven. Featuring the following utilities:

Clone Meshes - Incrementally change the position, rotation and scale of objects before instantiating them.

Move & Rotate Pivot Point - A must have utility that allows you to move and rotate the pivot points of game objects.

Uniform Scaling - This utility is a time saver that allows you to scale an object in more than one dimension at a time.

Snap To Grid - Snap to any position, rotation and scale when setting out your objects in the scene.

Invert Meshes - Create an inverted copy of a mesh for easy room building or creative design ideas.

Flip Meshes - This tool creates reflected copies of a model. It can flip a mesh in the X, Y or Z dimensions.

Split Mesh - Split a mesh into submeshes to apply multiple textures or split the mesh into separate child objects.

Transform Textures - Translate, rotate and scale the textures of an object directly on the mesh.

Real Scale - Change the local scale of an object without changing its scale in Unity.

Double Sided Meshes - Change single sided meshes to double sided. Reveal the inside of houses, cars, anything.

Save Mesh
    - Create a mesh file from the currently selected object.

All of the tools work on meshes with multiple materials and the submeshes of an object.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  13. gecko

gecko

I got MeshMaker for the Flip Mesh tool, which is very nice. However, when I then use the SECTR tool to export scene chunks (which are then dynamically loaded in during runtime), the mesh is lost. Is there a way to save a prefab or something so I have a persistent flipped mesh?

thx
    Dave

14. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Dave,

I ran a test and there does seem to be an issue here. When I flip a mesh, create a prefab and then add the mesh to the new prefab all instances of the prefab are missing the mesh.

A quick fix that should work for you is to:
    1. Create a new prefab in your project
    2. Add the non-flipped mesh to the prefab
    3. Create an instance of the prefab by dragging it into the scene
    4. Then flip the new instance of your prefab

I'll get to work on a solution for this.

Edit: A new tool has been added to the Mesh Tools package that allows you to select an object and save its mesh to a file in the project.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  15. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi All,

The next update for MeshMaker should be ready to download early next week. It adds a new program called Metaballs for creating new organic meshes. These can then be reshaped into a detailed model using the Mesh Editor included with the collection.

meshmaker_screenshot_d2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  16. docsavage

docsavage

Hi MediaGiant,

I need some advice re the last meshmaker update could you post a contact email as the one linked to you website isn't working?

Thanks

17. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi Doc,

Sure, my main email is support@meshmaker.com which hasn't let me down yet, or you can contact me via alanb@aussiemail.com.au.

BTW, I've just submitted a new addition to the collection so I might as well let you guys have a sneak preview.

sculptor_main_window_graphic.png

meshmaker_screenshot_02.png
    meshmaker_screenshot_03.png

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    Gozdek likes this.
  18. gurayg

gurayg

Hello MediaGiant,
    Wanted to ask, if it is possible to use any of those tools on runtime. I see that "Boolean Ops" will support that in the future but I'm particularly interested in the "Mesh Painter"
    Do you think it is feasible?

19. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi gurayg,
    Sorry, as they stand, no. But I can see the attraction of adding graffiti as a game mechanic or just for fun. I know I'll get around to creating an editing/modeling/texturing API that has runtime support, one day, but I can't say when.

20. Whippets

Whippets

Hi, I'm using Unity 4.6.0b19 - in which the MeshMaker UI seems to be having problems. When I select the Open Window menu option, the MeshMaker UI screws up, flashes for a while and then leaves me with a MeshMaker label which can't be got rid of.

Image8.jpg

Image9.jpg

Nothing is selectable, so no parts of MeshMaker work.

21. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi again Whippets. The flashing is a feature of the menu to highlight it when it first opens or minimizes itself. The position of the menu shown in your pictures is not, it should automatically locate itself at the bottom left of the sceneview window. It could be that the program is clashing with some other feature or the configuration of your layout so could you try changing to the default window layout or revert to the factory settings using the button at the top right of the Unity window and then re-opening MeshMaker from the menu. I have tried it in the default layout, 2 by 3 and 4 Split and it works after I re-launch MeshMaker. Please let me know if this helps.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  22. Whippets

Whippets

Hi MediaGiant, I've tried the suggestions, but they don't work. The MeshMaker window flashes a few times then disappears. Randomly it reappears, but if you try to select a button, the tool below the selected button opens. Perhaps it's something to do with the new UI in 4.6.0?

23. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Sorry to hear resetting the layout didn't work for you. I will test it in the beta version 4.6.0 and see if I get the same results. Another solution would be to create a normal menu window and give users a choice of which menu they want. Expect an update for this in early November.

24. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

I had a similar issue with your plugin. Its the flashes that I think are causing the problem. They appear to be linked to the refresh of the screen or something because they aren't consistent on different computers with different graphics cards. You need to slow down the effect or ensure it is a constant speed on all computers or perhaps get rid of the flashing. One of my computers was having that issue while another wasn't. On the computer that was having the issue if you open the meshmaker it flashes and then dissappears. If I moved the mouse to where the menu was before it dissappeared and held the mouse button down it with eventually appear again. Once it has appeared it then works correctly.

25. Whippets

Whippets

Perhaps just simple sub menu items instead of the buttons? I might look to try doing that myself in order to get things working :)

26. Whippets

Whippets

A few more bugs (probably due to 4.6.0b19)...

When any part of the MeshMaker menu is in the scene window, the left and right alt button drags stop as soon as the mouse pointer leaves the scene window, which is a pain when trying to move/pan around an object.

The MeshPainter, crashed Unity without ever doing any painting, despite holding down the left-control and right clicking.

27. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

The next update has been submitted and I took your advice Whippets and added submenus for each program to the main menu. This works well to give people an option should the dynamic menu fail. I have a new theory to improve the mesh painting application and make it more robust, so that should be coming early next year. Thanks for the feedback guys! The next app I'm working on is a biggie, but should be a great addition to the collection. Look for it some time near Christmas.

28. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

New update sounds great. Is there anyway to generate or paint directly to the UV map of an opject with the mesh painter. I'd love to be able to use it to paint simple textures or perhaps texture masks for the materializer plugin without having to worry about the painting using lots of draw calls ? It would be great to have an option to bake all the painting done on an object down to one map after you had finished painting.

29. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

It's a great idea and it was my original goal but the right way forward will be to create a standard UV editor with simple Photoshop capabilities, not as much fun but it will allow for much better artwork/mapping.

Actually, most of the work behind Mesh Painter was done to prevent the changing of the original texture. The main reason is that an object's texture is normally used on many triangles and often other objects too, so changing it in one spot looks like a mess on every other spot where it repeats. It is possible to make a copy of the original texture and apply it as a new texture for each triangle you are painting on. This inherently means creating a new submesh and material for each triangle painted but this also means one draw call for each triangle painted unless, as you say, I add a texture map/atlas which in turn means degrading the original texture quality, so as you can see it all starts to get very complicated. In the end I decided the only solution was to overlay the original texture and give people the opportunity to delete the overlays when finished.

Another factor is sales. I could spend months writing the best program possible and if you saw the monthly sales figures you'd probably tell me to stop mooching off of my wife and go get a real job. It's not that people don't want such a program, there just isn't enough traffic, exposure or willingness to spend to drive sales.

The past year has been spent mostly learning the undocumented secrets behind writing editor extensions (a big thanks to all those who posted to the forum and of course Unity answers) so with that out of the way I'm now able to concentrate on the programs themselves rather than working on the integration with Unity, which is a great place to finally be at. The work is progressing much faster and I hope to improve all of the programs in due course but I'd like to get to the point where I can earn a basic wage before I get back in to revising the existing work. I'd also love to write a series of tutorials to teach everyone how to write their own extensions but after spending 12 years writing free tutorials for OpenGL, Win32 and the Open Dynamics Engine over at my website I just have to bite the bullet and concentrate on writing commercial applications for now. The tutorials will be written one day though, God willing :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  30. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

I actually think you are looking at the UV problem the wrong way. Since your program is for painting 3D meshes if someone has to paint in 2D or ever has to even look at a UV map you are doing it wrong. Most UV mapping algorithms try and make a clean map that is easy for an artist to paint on in 2D at the expense of quality of the final projection. For example you lose quality painting over seams etc.

You should look at the Blacksmith3D application it doesn't care how complexed the UV map is that it generates because it never shows it to the user. It doesn't matter because if the user wants to add a 2D image onto the mesh they use the projection painter tool which will automatically project it into the correct UV cordinates.

If you stop worrying about how complexed or unreadable the UV map will be that combines all the painting done on a mesh in mesh painter there must be an algorithm that will perfectly project any mask painting onto a mesh with a perfect UV map.

You could also take advantage of the way you are doing it now to also make a shader painter. Imagine you painted with shaders instead of colours and textures. Unity would then automatically be able to batch the individually painted areas of the mesh into one draw call because it will dynamically batch areas with the same exact shader. You could even use your boolean operations to combine the areas so that the dynamic batching was even more efficient.

If you want more exposure perhaps you should create a free lite version of meshmaker that contains a few of the tools but with limitations. For example it could include Geom and sculptor but limit the number of points you could have. You could also include the boolean tool but only have the subtract function. I don't think the issue with your asset is the price of it it is just that they don't know how well it will work as there is no way for them to be able to test it before purchase or they don't know it exists on the asset store.

You also perhaps want to get onto that 24 hour daily deal at some point and do a saie then to get some exposure.

One other suggestion I would have for your tools would be a way to perhaps serialize and save the state of an object being created in any of your tools and then to be able to reload it rather than only being able to save meshes. For example suppose I made something with the sculptor tool but then someone asked me to make a slight change to the curve after they saw the final mesh. It would be far easier to be able to reload the settings in sculptor and edit it there rather than having to tweak the mesh that was output. You could even expand on it at a later date and use it to be able to tweak and make changes at runtime in the game.

31. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thanks Ian, your enthusiasm is very refreshing. I agree that trying to paint a 3D mesh from a 2D perspective is unintuitive. The idea for using projection for much of the job is certainly attractive, it would extend to runtime decals and bullet holes as a side benefit too, but the background texture will probably still need to use standard UV mapping as it wraps the model. I'm always interested in where the trend is heading so I'll check out Blacksmith3D to see how they approach the problem.

I also see using shaders as the future of texture mapping and increasingly for generating the actual geometry itself so I have done a bit of research into what is possible in that direction already. Early days yet though :)

Geom uses serialization, thanks to ULIB, to save a copy of the framework and allows you to load it back later to continue working on the model. The whole subject of serialization has only recently sunk in, after a lot of reading, and for the project I'm working on now it is working well so I'm able to keep the project running, recompile and continue building afterwards. Sending the byte stream to a file and loading it back is very easy from this point so it will be a feature of all future additions.

A request to be listed in future sales has been submitted using the official form at the remarkably obscure link here but the final decision rests with the Asset Store Team so I'm hoping to get some time on the front page one day.

Thanks again for your great ideas, they are very helpful and always welcome.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  32. Psyunity

Psyunity

Hello, I just have a few questions before I go out and buy this in the near future.
    Is this compatible with Unity 5 Beta? I was using GameDraw but it has build errors, since it seems GameDraw has been abandoned. Though the publisher said he's still working on an Update and will call it MXD3D.
    I just don't feel like waiting that long. Thanks :)

33. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi, the gentlemen above have tested the program up to version beta 4.6.0b19 and I have since added a new menu to fix the know problems with the dynamic menu. I have read that there is a major update to the interface to the editor but I am using all standard features so I'm not expecting too much trouble there. All of the apps should continue to work except for mesh painter which was the most challenging app to program but is also not as important as the modeling and editing utilities.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  34. docsavage

docsavage

Hi Alan,

Just thought I'd post to let you know my unity 5 experience with meshmaker. I gave a quick test last night and have found it to actually be running better than in 4.6. I was experiencing some slow down on 4.6.3 and it was actually putting me off using it much but it seems to be flying along now!!!

I have bought your asset and probuilder complete in asset store sales and like both. You have enough differences in features to encourage people to use both packages but I don't think they are obvious enough to potential buyers. There are some really nice tools in meshmaker that probuilder doesn't have (and visa versa) and for the bargain price of meshmaker is worth the leap. I also like the nice clean layout and clear colour scheme and the really useful double sided mesh creator.

If I get some time I am going to try both packages in a test project to see if they get along nicely and integrate well.

Thanks Alan

35. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thank you DocSavage for your review and for sharing your experience. You're hired! I need a great campaign manager and you will do nicely. I have now given the programs a test run in Unity 5 as well and much to my relief I also found that they still worked and performed well. With all of the projected changes to the Unity editor and API I wasn't sure what the outcome would be.

The other news it that over the past few months I have been writing a new tool that will dwarf all of the others but as it got bigger and bigger I realized that I needed to take a step back and create a full set of base classes that I can reuse to create all future tools. With the new classes I can now quickly update all of the programs, making them more efficient and polished. So the larger project is now on hold while I rewrite the tools. But Unity has a long future so I'm going to try to pace myself and bring the tools up to new professional level over the coming year, as well as release many new utilities of course.

A big thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  36. docsavage

docsavage

If you met me you would probably retract that statement in an instant as I make your avatar look like a composed and level headed individual - Or at least that's the impression I get from my wifes reaction to me :)

I am looking forward to the big update. If you keep us all posted here then this does still instil confidence that the product is not just supported but in active development which I had no idea of until you posted this. Nothing puts me off buying an asset more than seeing no activity on the assets forum thread. Talking about that you should add a link to this thread on the store page.

Thanks Alan

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  37. jshrek

jshrek

What's the difference between Mesh Editor and Mesh Tools? What does one do that the other does not?

Thanks

38. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi jshrek, sorry I didn't get an email notification that there had been a new reply until today. There is a small overlap between the two programs but the rest of the functions are very different. I'll cover the similarities first.

Both programs allow you save meshes which is not a major feature but one that comes in handy when you find you are working with procedurally generated meshes and both programs have a snap to grid feature. They also both allow you to split meshes but by using very different methods. The Mesh Tools uses the standard RaycastHit method which is fine for small models but is slow for large models. The Mesh Editor uses a custom mesh data structure and triangle hit routine which is much faster for large models but might take longer to initialize since it has to create the internal mesh data from the original.

The list of differences for the Mesh Editor would be:
    - Move/rotate/scale of vertices/edges/triangles
    - Extrude triangles/faces
    - Subdivide triangles
    - Delete triangles and faces
    - Options to auto-update uvs/normals/colliders
    - Full undo/redo system for all features
    - Marquee to select or deselect multiple vertices
    - Works with all colliders

And the differences for the Mesh Tools would be:
    - Clone meshes
    - Move & rotate pivot point
    - Uniform scaling
    - Invert meshes
    - Flip meshes
    - Transform textures- Real scale
    - Double sided meshes

I hope that helps define these two utilities. Collectively the whole MeshMaker package covers most of the important tools you will need to work with meshes and the texture transform utility in Mesh Tools works well for small objects. However a fully featured texture UV mapping tool is needed and currently in the works.

39. jshrek

jshrek

ok thanks for reply. that helps

40. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi All,

Just to let you know I'm about to update all of the packages to be compatible with Unity 4.6.2 and 5.0.

They have all had minor changes and fixes but the big changes are for Geom.

Geom 2.0 includes the following new features:
    Unity 5 ready.
    New 2D interface with 3 orthogonal views.
    Now possible to move points in the Y axis.
    Insert and Delete control points.
    Unlimited grid sizes.
    Undo/Redo feature.
    Easily enter point positions.
    Save/Load program settings.
    Save/Load frameworks to XML files.
    Custom colors for 2D and 3D views.
    Show/Hide 2D interface.
    Change background picture for tracing objects.
    15 new starting geometric shapes.
    Numbered control points in 2D and 3D views.
    Synchronized point movement across all grids.
    Automatic prefab creation.

All of the programs have had a thorough testing and many small fixes have been implemented for versions 4.6.2 and 5.0.

p.s. When I submit the programs for review tomorrow they will probably take a week to ten days to be approved, which is unavoidable as that is the normal processing time from Unity.

41. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

The latest version of MeshMaker is now available with many changes to Geom, updates to the other 8 tools and the same low price of $25. That's only $2.78 per application!

Why so cheap? Not because the tools are inferior or broken, but because I'd rather sell to a hundred people at $25 than 25 people at $100. Hey, I'd even prefer to sell a million copies at $1 if I thought I could get that number of customers. This way more people get to to use and enjoy the tools that I have made.

Regards,
    Alan Baylis

jmjd likes this.
  42. JBR-games

JBR-games

@MediaGiant
    Sorry if this has been asked already but does the split mesh function work on skinned meshes. Basically could i sever an arm Off a character save it and still have the rest of the skinned mesh working properly ?
    Thanks for your time- josh

43. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I haven't dabbled with skinned meshes enough to be sure but I'd say the splitting routines probably don't. Future tools will be made to work exclusively with skinned meshes though :)

44. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

I have now submitted a new addition to the collection called 3D Brush. To give you a preview of the new package I will post some screenshots and link to the introduction video here.

45. docsavage

docsavage

Just watched the video there Alan. It looks great. I like the way you can change brush shape and include or exclude painting to a shape. This seems like it may be useful if changing/creating layers to draw to could get messy. if you could add a `make brush option` then when a shape is created that could be a custom brush to draw/erase with.

46. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Thanks Doc, it should make painting around buildings and garden areas easier. For now I chose to use the Photoshop method of painting to a selected area with a normal brush which gives full control over the density and placement within that area, but I just thought how easy it may be to add a shaped brush as you describe. It would just be a case of moving the shape to the mouse position as the mouse moves and scaling the brush up to cover the whole shape. Look for this in a future release. :)

I'll also make another video in a day or two which will cover creating brushes and precise placement of prefabs. To learn more about all of the features of the program you can also have a read of the tutorial here at http://www.meshmaker.com/tutorials.html

Thanks again for checking out the video and your great feedback. I'm open to all new ideas for extending this tool.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  47. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi All,

Mesh Maker v1.9.4 has now been submitted to the Asset Store which includes a new addition to the collection called Mesh Cutter.

To give you a preview of the new package I will post some screenshots and link to the introduction video here.

Introduction Video to Mesh Cutter

Both Mesh Maker and Mesh Cutter have been submitted for review by the Asset Store team so they should be available in 7-10 days. All twelve programs have also been uploaded from Unity5 and should be available around the same date. Thanks for checking out the new apps.
    Al.

48. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

All of the programs, bar one, are now available for Unity 5. The asset store was super quick at reviewing them, only two days! One note I forgot to mention about 3D Brush is that in Unity 5 it is recommended to turn of continuous baking of lightmaps. You can do this by going to the menu and navigating to Window/Lighting/Lightmaps and unchecking the checkbox. This will prevent lag and stuttering in the editor.

The standalone version of Mesh Cutter is still under review as it is a new program but you can get it now as part of the Mesh Maker collection.

49. Slapworth

Slapworth

Can Geom be used to make pure 2D meshes, suitable for use in Unity's 2D mode?

I'm looking for a tool that will let me define arbitrarily shaped 2D meshes, that I can use as simple terrain meshes. I need to be able to create a 2D mesh, preferably edited directly within my 2D scene, so that I can align it with the 2D sprites that will populate the terrain.

It looks like Geom has a great editor for building 2D frames vertex-by-vertex, but I can't tell if easily exports them as 2D meshes. All the examples look like extruded 3D forms.

Thanks for your help - Slapworth

50. MediaGiant

MediaGiant

Hi, Geom can certainly create 2D meshes. You just create a new shape by moving the vertices and click build without adding a new grid. It will be two sided by default but you can make it one sided by turning off Cap First Grid in the build options. The new mesh will have a mesh filter, mesh renderer, mesh collider and a material added by default. You can change the background picture which allows you to trace new shapes. To create the object at the right location you can also just double click on an object in your scene to make the framework snap to that location which saves you having to position it manually. I hope that helps. If you have any questions just let me know.

Last edited: May 24, 2015