Search Unity

mesh shattering tool

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by titantomorrow, May 23, 2015.

1. titantomorrow

titantomorrow

Hi, just working on a tool that takes an existing mesh (eg fbx asset file) and automatically breaks it into separate random voronoi meshes. The plan is to use it for visual effects when something gets damaged or destroyed. Just thinking others might be able to find this useful in their developments. Any feedback on that question is warmly welcomed. The original asset is from the asset store (Vertex Studios) - spaceship1. This has also been posted to http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=446343704 but has only got three views. More pictures are there as well.

spaceship1.jpg

2. titantomorrow

titantomorrow

This might explain better... This is a blue painted concrete pillar being dropped... It fragments into 119 pieces. What the tool does is from the basic mesh, creates all these fragments.

pillar.jpg

3. Aidenjl

Aidenjl

Looking really cool! So does this work on rigidbody collision then?

4. titantomorrow

titantomorrow

Nope, just brought the meshes into unity and added a rigid body and mesh collider. Thanks for the question.

There are other tools that do what this tool does... Blender has a tool...https://mango.blender.org/random/voronoi-fracturing/

What I think might make this special is by preserving the UV mappings etc and other productivity benefits.

5. ChaosUnlimited

ChaosUnlimited

looks really cool what would make it better would be a way to deform the part of the block as it takes damage until the breaking point then this happens,

the ship looks like one from a game called freelancer aswell..

6. titantomorrow

titantomorrow

Thanks. You can do that ablative thing by setting the individual meshes to be kinematic and then upon a collision (or trigger?) event turn them on. But that is more of a game engine (Unity) thing - few lines of code really. I've done it before - ages ago so I can't remember the exact details. One of the nice things is that all meshes will always be convex and that sits well with most game physics engines.

7. titantomorrow

titantomorrow

Here is a video of a tech demo using UV remapping in Unity...

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

9. titantomorrow

titantomorrow

I'm thinking between $5 and $10. It is a low cost, more basic, but command line driven alternative to the Fracturing & Destruction with a focus on support for procedural generation. The plan for us is to use it as part of a procedurally generation pipeline internally. The reason why it won't be free is because there is on going work to make sure it supports broader requirements, obscure bugs are fixed and that it is a lot better than an dodgy internal tool, i.e. easy to use/reliable and most importantly productive to use.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm actually interested in an offline apex style generator that just creates a child of the selected object with all physical breakables within. I then could just enable and break off a few at a time, or activate them all in one go.

Realtime fracturing is fun, but ultimately reasonably impractical speed wise for lots of destruction.

So long as it's not absurd, demanding triplanar or specific shaders :)

11. titantomorrow

titantomorrow

Hippocoder, do you mean a mesh that only has a few indicative fractures? Like a pyramid that has a few of its apexes being able to be knocked off? That is not a bad idea to show the gamer how many hits to go before something is destroyed.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No, I mean like nvidia apex -

titantomorrow likes this.
  13. titantomorrow

titantomorrow

http://rayfirestudios.com/ is another competitor. I guess the way I see it, some people would find $385 too expensive for a great tool, but be happy to spend $5-10 for something that is not as great. Still long way to go. I suspect, I'd need to support hollow meshes and convex ones in a nicer way.

14. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

There's a lot of free scripts for breaking objects in 3dsmax ie fracture voronoi, or if you have modo the latest release have fracturer tool

15. zugsoft

zugsoft

I bought 4 destruction Assets, DestroyIt is better than Ultimate Fracture but you must have a fbx prefab with all mesh.
    Exploder is very slow on Mobile.

If you make a tool for breaking a fbx with 1 mesh to 15mesh I am very interested

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  16. antislash

antislash

voronoi

17. antislash

antislash

sould be impact vector based

18. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Did you ever finish this tool?

mlodyk likes this.