Search Unity

► Mesh Materializer ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Arkhivrag, Jan 27, 2015.

1. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

What's the trick for doing windows? I have a mesh that has windows built in but it uses two materials. Is there a trick to keeping the windows transparent?

Nevermind - I just created a new MM material and made it transparent.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    hopeful likes this.
  2. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Mesh Materializer plus Procore toolset is awesome! I just created a terrain, used Mesh Materializer, then used QuickEdit to cut three pieces out of the terrain, updated the mesh collider. After that I used ProBuilder to build a cave extending out to the three entrances, used Vertex painting to match the terrain MM colors, used the tools to make an asset, and then used Mesh Materializer on the new cave asset to make it have the cool setup like the terrain. Super easy and fun!

The cave needs some rocks and stuff around the edges, but still fun.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  3. twobob

twobob

upload_2015-9-12_23-35-21.png
    ?

This was on a build and hung the editor.

Then the editor bombed.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  4. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

twobob likes this.
  5. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Update v1.35 released
    • Fixed shaders not compiling due to exceeding input limit.

VacuumShaders - Facebook Twitter YouTube

twobob likes this.
  6. twobob

twobob

As ever. Top dog.

Thanks man

7. andyastro

andyastro

Hi, I've just found your asset and got interested in one specific detail from your description: ambient occlusion. and mesh simplification. So, mu question is: would it be possible to use your asset to erase interior parts of meshes? I have an application where big objects are generated procedurally, by aggregating other small prefab meshes.

However, in the end, although I got fairly satisfactory results, I end up with plenty of vertices and faces inside the final object, due to the random combination of the smaller constituent blocks that make the final object. I wonder if your tool would help me deleting those? What I am describing is what some 3D editors allow, like: http://meshlabstuff.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-to-remove-internal-faces-with.html

Thanks anyway and congrats for the great asset.

8. twobob

twobob

@andyastro I would politely suggest that you ask the author of SIMPLELOD if he can do some sort of hull calculation and remove the innards. that would be more in spec for /that/ tool.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  9. andyastro

andyastro

No problem, actually I am very thankful for your kind suggestion.

twobob likes this.
  10. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Mesh Materializer does not reduce triangles count or change mesh topology. It's not purpose of this asset.

11. Falagard

Falagard

How hard would it be to convert a unity terrain to a mesh with vertex colors and then apply a material and shader that modulated a single tiling texture with the vertex colors?

Basically I'd like to have a grayscale-ish detail texture that tiles over the whole terrain and is colored by the vertex colors.

I'd also like to so something like this for other meshes as well, such as for rocks, trees etc.

Thoughts?

12. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Mesh Materializer works in editor and run-time.
    Any type of mesh conversions (mesh or terrain) and color baking are very fast.
    Converted terrain will have uv1 channel, so you can apply any material with textures.

twobob likes this.
  13. MSFX

MSFX

this looks amazing, well done on creating a great product.
    Although the resultant mesh looks lower poly and is stylised that way, is the mesh that's generated actually lower poly? On the edge of purchase so would love an answer before the wknd if possible so I can spend the wknd playing with it :D
    Thanks!

14. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Low-poly effect is achieved by flattening mesh faces.
    It triples vertex count but triangle(poly) count remains same. The same effect is achieved in 3Ds max by smooth modifier.
    Mesh Materializer does not reduce triangles count or change mesh topology.

However, terrain converter has vertex count controller.

All info in the first post of this thread.

15. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Not sure what's going on, but I was just testing the newest update with my 3dForge Sewers on the Deep Down scene. I tried to convert a portion of the Sewer but MM flips all my meshes to different transform angles and creates them. I've never had this issue before, so not sure if something is up with the newest update.

16. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Try changing Mesh Asset Name option to (meshName)_(ID)

17. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

that works. I need to remember that.

18. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Mesh Asset Name parameter defines mesh asset file name format. In conversion folder can not be two asset files with same names, during conversion exiting ones will be overwritten (and lost of course).

For example:
    If selection has two meshes with same names then choosing (MM)_(meshName) will create only one mesh asset file (other one will be overwritten, because it will have same name). And final prefab will be 'wrong' - as where second mesh is required will be used first one (asset in prefab is load by its name, there is only one mesh asset file and it will be loaded everywhere).
    To avoid such thing you must use (meshName)_(ID). In this case even meshes has same names, there IDs are different. For each mesh will be created its own unique asset file and then loaded for prefab correctly.

19. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Is it possible to control the "flatness" of the generated mesh?
    I mean it would be a change to the code so that the mesh's vertices are more aligned to seem to produce bigger flat areas. Maybe a rounding parameter?

20. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

No, it is not possible. Mesh can only be in two states: smoothed(original) or fattened.

21. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Is it not possible with today's tool or is it not doable?

reese01 likes this.
  22. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

It is not possible within Mesh Materializer, but I'll add it to 'wish list' for future updates.

reese01 likes this.
  23. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Is there a possibility for us to edit the code?

24. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

No, scripts are packed in dll.

25. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

So here we have a necessity that can't be fulfilled.
    We can't wait if and when you will be done, and we can't modify it.

That's bothersome.

Maybe you are worried someone will steal your intellectual property. If that's the problem, don't worry, people just want to create their games. That's what Polyworld's owner thinks, since its open sourced. We don't want to buy it. It would be like paying again for what we already bought.

You could at least open parts of the code and keep things like the editor in the dll. Also you could create extension points and at least give us a chance to alter funcionality.

Think about it.

26. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

It will be childish from me thinking I can protect my code putting it in .NET dll :)
    Polyworld :)
    Distributing my assets within dll is just more suitable for me. It's my working pipeline (I always write in asset description that scripts are packed in dll).
    If you need source code, no problem.
    Send Mesh Materializer purchase invoice number to vacuumshaders@gmail.com
    and I will send full project source (editor, run-time), but it will be up to you to import(or compile) it for Unity.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    reese01 likes this.
  27. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Email sent.
    The point is, we need to adapt it, with or without the source code. If there was a way to override methods and extend behavior we wouldn't need the code.

28. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Next update will include improved Ambient Occlusion and Indirect Lighting tools, exactly same as here.

reese01 likes this.
  29. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    hopeful and 99thmonkey like this.
  30. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Looks awesome! Um, what is a chunck?

31. hopeful

hopeful

Sounds good! For me, the main idea behind Mesh Materializer was always the sophisticated and efficient terrain to mesh conversion. (I don't plan on using the blocky style options.)

32. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

chunk [CHəNGk]
    noun
    noun: chunk; plural noun: chunks
    1. a thick, solid piece of something.
      "huge chunks of masonry littered the street"
      synonyms:
      lump, hunk, wedge, block, slab, square, nugget, brick, cube, bar, cake
      "a chunk of cheese"
      • an amount or part of something.
        "fuel takes a large chunk of their small income"
    verb
    verb: chunk; 3rd person present: chunks; past tense: chunked; past participle: chunked; gerund or present participle: chunking
    1. divide (something) into chunks.
      "chunk four pounds of pears"
      • (in psychology or linguistic analysis) group together (connected items or words) so that they can be stored or processed as single concepts.

Yes, now it will have some additional options (splatmap and obj exporters).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  33. hopeful

hopeful

So I will probably need to buy the new tool too?

34. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

No, Terrain To Mesh is already part of Mesh Materializer. Some of its new features and improvements will be added in coming update.
    Terrain To Mesh is just a 'cheap' version of Mesh Materializer. Offering only terrain conversion to mesh.

reese01 likes this.
  35. hopeful

hopeful

Okay, gotcha. Very happy! :)

reese01 likes this.
  36. lazygunn

lazygunn

Would it be possible to add an ability to batch convert a bunch of prefabs with nested.. prefabs? I've got whole model libraries (more prefabs than id like to count) i'd like to move over but its an agonising process and when using anything with a complex prefab heirarchy it usually ends up with a random sole mesh and a bunch of empty mesh instances.

37. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

I'll add patch converter to a 'wish list' for next update.
    As for complex prefabs not converting correctly, it's all about Mesh Asset Name parameter. I answered about it here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/mesh-materializer.293796/page-6#post-2313027

38. Kekule

Kekule

Hello, i have a question before buying. Is it possible to use all functionality (showed in videos) in code instead of editor? Also is there a documentation for that in the package? Would want to apply that low poly look on procedural terrain. Thanks for answer :)

39. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Yes, editor tools are available in run-time(code).

40. Falagard

Falagard

I think the meshes that are converted from a terrain have the wrong bounding box (or perhaps some orphaned vertices?) because they aren't being culled properly by the camera.

Unity's stats window is showing way more batches than what is visible when looking top down on the terrain.

41. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Can you provide some more info. Terrain convection parameters or screen with stats info.
    In any way, in two weeks will be available new update with this improved terrain conversion tool.

42. Falagard

Falagard

http://screencast.com/t/FcPiCurcrN

Here's a video that shows it in action. Sorry it's a bit lengthy / big but I wanted to show batch stats as I move the camera around the map.

I'm excited for the improved terrain conversion tool but hopefully this problem is resolved in the new version?

My guess is you have to call UpdateBounds() on each mesh after it is generated, or manually set the bounds correctly to the extents of the vertices. I could write a utility to fix it probably but would rather have it fixed at generation time.

43. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Each terrain mesh piece use RecalculateBounds() function and there are no 'orphaned vertices', you can check it manually - In video you generated mesh with 25x25 vertices, it's 625 total. Select generated mesh asset to see how much vertices it has - 625.
    Also can not confirm from my side, I've just tested several terrains with different setting and all of them are culled/batched correctly.
    May be its project settings or that particular scene? Can you try it in the clear scene - only with terrain and noting more.

44. Falagard

Falagard

Thanks Ark,

The problem wasn't in Mesh Materializer, it was that the newly created meshes had cast shadows turned on and my camera's far clipping plane was way too large for my scene. For this reason, when rendering shadows it would collect almost all the terrain pieces for rendering the shadow map.

Thanks for investigating and sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
    Clay

45. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

I'm going to try this out with Gaia. You should probably put that you are Gaia compatible. :)

Arkhivrag likes this.
  46. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Update v1.36
    • VacuumShaders assets synchronization. Required update for all VacuumShaders assets.
    • Built-in Mesh Materializer shaders are deprecated. Use new Vertex Color shaders instead.

99thmonkey likes this.
  47. Duffer123

Duffer123

Can I use this asset easily or at all to create armour and clothing for my 3d characters?

48. reese01

reese01

You'd need models of the items mentioned first and then run them through the Mesh Materializer.

49. thelittlegamefactory

thelittlegamefactory

Hi,

There is a note at the Terrain to Mesh asset page:
    "Tool is already included in Mesh Materializer asset."

Unfortunatelly I can't figure out how to use Mesh Materializer to get a terrain object with all the original textures.
    Is it possible?

Thank you very much!

50. gurayg

gurayg

I was just watching this yesterday. This might help to you as well: