Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

► Mesh Materializer ◄

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Arkhivrag, Jan 27, 2015.

1. CraftyMech

CraftyMech

Really liking this tool!

I've ran into a problem though building for iOS (both with my own project, and the sample included scenes). I'm using Unity 5.0.1.f1 Personal edition.

If I try to build any of the Mesh Materializer sample scenes for iOS, I receive the following error during cross compilation:

Cross compilation job VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.dll failed.
    UnityEngine.UnityException: Failed AOT cross compiler: /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/PlaybackEngines/iossupport/Tools/OSX/mono-xcompiler-wrapper.sh --aot=full,asmonly,nodebug,static,outfile="VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.dll.s" "VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.dll" current dir : /Users/aaron/Documents/Development/Unity/MeshMaterializer/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed
    result file exists: False. Timed out: False

stdout:
    Mono Ahead of Time compiler - compiling assembly /Users/aaron/Documents/Development/Unity/MeshMaterializer/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer.dll
    The class ‎‍‭‎‍‭‫‫‮‮‬‬‫‫‭‬‭‎‪‮‌‌‭‌‮ could not be loaded, used in VacuumShaders.MeshMaterializer, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
    * Assertion at marshal.c:4067, condition `klass' not met

2. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Currently it is not possible to export mesh with vertex color, but may be it is possible to render them to render texture. Can not answer now, need to make some research.

What is your API Compatibility Level in Player Settings? Try it with .NET 2.0 Subset.

VacuumShaders - Facebook Twitter YouTube

3. CraftyMech

CraftyMech

API Compatibility Level is set to .NET 2.0 Subset, and I also tried with iOS target version of 8.1, 8, 7.1 and 7, in case it was related to iOS version. Unfortunately, still getting the same error.

I'm on OS X 10.10.3. I also tried importing the asset directly from the asset store into a new project, to have a clean test case to work with, but the error persists.

Any other system/Unity configuration info that would be helpful?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  4. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Exporting texture of faceted mesh as uv layout will be available in the next update :cool:
    mesh-materializer-vertex-colored-uv-layout.png

redchurch, twobob and schmosef like this.
  5. redchurch

redchurch

Amazing! Thanks! I hope this will be useful to others as well! :)

twobob likes this.
  6. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Next week will be available update v1.3
    Fixed iOS build problems.
    Fixed Windows Store/Phone build problems.
    Fixed missing GUI textures if project is in Linear color space.
    Will be added faceted uv layout exporter.
    +some micor improvements and bug fixes.

Mesh-materializer-faceted-uv-layout-eporter.png

IL4Mi3y, schmosef and redchurch like this.
  7. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Please consider adding batch processing of models. I think it's very useful for one to change his entire game to the new visual style.

8. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

v1.3 released!
    • Added faceted uv layout exporter - Menu/Window/VacuumShaders/Faceted UV Layout Exporter.
    • Added alpha values modifier to the Color Adjustments window.
    • Fixed iOS build problems.
    • Fixed Windows Store/Phone build problems.
    • Fixed gui textures not displayed if Unity Editor is in Linear color space.

(delete 'Scripts' folder before updating)
    Read 'ReadMe' file inside Scripts folder after updating.

You can convert entire scene. Parent all your objects to one empty object and put that parent into MM source field. MM will convert them all without problem and much faster.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  9. noxvamp

noxvamp

Ive purchased it but i cant download it..Help me pls!! whenever i click the button download, it just says please wait. ive been waiting for more than 1 hour already. no progress at all..

10. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

You should contact Asset Store support.

11. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

There is a problem when I try to batch process a lot of objects with submeshes with identical names. Am I missing something? If not, can you fix that?

Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 18.54.50.png

12. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Do you worry about skipped mesh count?
    During conversion Mesh Materializer looks to already converted meshes and if 'similar' mesh is converted there is no need to pass it through conversion process again.

'Similarity' is defined by - Mesh Asset Name parameter, which you have set to MM_meshName_rendererName.
    If you are converting two objects with similar mesh name and renderer name, only first of them will be converted and saved to disk. It is not necessary to convert second one, because it will have the same file name and during saving it to disk, file will be overwritten.
    If you need to convert both of objects, change rendererName - it is gamebjects name that has Renderer component attached.

13. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Hi Arkhivrag,

Got it.
    There are approximately 110 meshes with identical 'rendererName' that are not the same polygonal objects. For instance, a 'barrel' mesh of a machine gun tower is different from a 'barrel' mesh of a laser tower.
    That's only for the turrets objects, but I plan to used MM on all our game objects.
    Is there an alternative way to batch convert meshes without renaming each rendererName?

TIA,
    R.

14. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Currently there is no other options, but I'll add additional one to the Mesh Asset Name parameter list, something like - meshName_ID - it will give mesh unique name and consequently all of them will be converted and saved in separate asset files. Update will be available Monday or Thursday.

15. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

16. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

update v1.31 released
    • Added two new parameters to the Mesh Asset Name list (editor window). Converted mesh assets may have unique ID, guaranteeing all mesh conversion in selection.

17. schmosef

schmosef

Anyone else having issues with the latest version of Mesh Materializer?

Previous fixes to iOS and Windows Store builds seem broken again.

18. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Which Unity version do you use?
    Scripts folder has 'Mobile' version of dll, try it.

pordox1 likes this.
  19. schmosef

schmosef

I'm using Unity 5.0.2f1. I'll try the mobile dll right away.

Edit: Switching to the mobile dll fixed the compile problem with Windows Store Build exported projects. I'm now waiting for UCB to tell me if the iOS build was successful.

Thank you for the very quick response!

Edit #2: Yep, the mobile dll fixes the problem I had with compiling on iOS as well. Makes sense.

Thanks again.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  20. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

21. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Update v1.33
    • Fixed material editor throwing errors in Unity 5.1

22. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Update 1.34
    • Added default material parameter inside MM editor, that will be applied to a prefab after conversion. Default material is not instantiated with every prefab, it is one material shared among all materialized meshes.

23. p6r

p6r

With the new 1.34 version I can't add use the default Texture anymore !?!
    The created meshes are all "blank" !?!

Your plugin is fantastic !!!
    6R

24. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Default texture? o_O
    If you mean default shader, then you can use it if 'Default Material' is empty, otherwise 'Default Material' is used.

25. tonic

tonic

Hi @Arkhivrag, I have lot of source art with meshes having many sub-meshes. Each submesh have its own material - where the difference is only in the Albedo color (there's no even textures). I tried to use Mesh Materializer to convert such meshes to have only 1 material and no submeshes, but with the colors from materials baked to vertex colors. I only get a mesh with all vertices using "Default Vertex Color".

Can you instruct me how to achieve this, or fix this issue if this kind of use case is not implemented yet?
    (if you are able to make a quick fix, I'd be happy to get an intermediate test build, as I have a tight deadline coming)

26. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Do you have 'Mesh Tint Color' baking turned on? It defines color variable name inside shader that should be baked.
    'Default Vertex Color' is used only if there is nothing to bake.

27. tonic

tonic

@Arkhivrag, thanks, that helped! I misassumed the tint option was for applying a tint instead of specifying color source.

Now the colors get through, only the end result looked always like it's unlit instead of being lit same way with the original, when using one of the shader options (VacuumShader/...). I found a version of Unity5 Standard shader supporting vertex colors elsewhere and it seems to work fine! (I though there was one in the MM package as well, but I couldn't find it...?)

28. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Good. Mesh Materializer comes with about 14 shaders supporting vertex color, including Unlit, Diffuse and U5 Standard.
    If there are missed, try reimport package.

29. tonic

tonic

I tried to reimport but still for some reason I'm not getting a version of U5 Standard shader, but the others are imported. It's the same way when importing to an empty project. I can see 10 shader files in Assets\VacuumShaders\Mesh Materializer\Shaders.

But I can use the other one I found for now, so this is not much of an issue for me. Thanks for quick help!

30. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

There is two versions of Mesh Materializer on the asset store, one for Unity 4, second for Unity 5. Which version you download depends on Unity editor you are using. Seams you have downloaded MM with U4 and now are trying to import that package in U5. Better download new package using U5.

31. tonic

tonic

@Arkhivrag, I only downloaded using Unity 5. But apparently I am for some reason getting the Unity4 version, because I even get the warnings about upgrading the dll for Unity5 when importing.

32. tonic

tonic

I'm getting the version 1.34 which you apparently released just today.
    Now I also tried to download with both Unity 4 and 5. I'm indeed getting identical package with both.

33. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Your U5 version should be 5.1
    If you are using previous U5 versions than asset store will 'give you' U4 version package.

34. tonic

tonic

Thanks, that worked - I downloaded using 5.1 and then imported using 5.0. (I guess you could try uploading using v5.0, then asset store should automatically give the right package to 5.0 users as well).

I think it's great there's option of combining into one mesh and forcing to one submaterial. However, this also losses transparency if the source mesh has multiple materials where some are opaque and some are transparent. Could you consider adding a feature which can do all the combining, but still split the end result to two: one with opaque stuff and one with transparent?

35. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Just a thought - Would be really cool to be able to turn on or off edge lines (i.e the lines between the verticies) with ability to change the color of the lines and how strong they are as part of MM.

36. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Good idea, I'll add it to a 'wish list'.

If you mean wireframe shader feature, than it is beyond Mesh Materializer.

37. seansteezy

seansteezy

This may be a super dumb question but can I use this to reduce poly count on meshes? Like I have a model with 5000 polys, I still want it to look normal but can I use your tool to reduce the poly count without giving it that "low poly" poly world look? I'm just looking for something like Mixamo's Decimator service and I have this asset already... thanks!

38. hopeful

hopeful

See above on this page ...

Mesh Materializer does not change mesh topology, does not add or remove triangles. It converts mesh to faceted style imitating low poly.​

seansteezy likes this.
  39. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Simple LOD is awesome for reducing poly counts

hopeful likes this.
  40. seansteezy

seansteezy

You know what I am such an amateur, I didn't even think about LOD stuff...

Cool, sorry for my ignorance (and plain ole not reading) and thanks for the help! I'll check out some LOD solutions to see what I can do.

41. hopeful

hopeful

Most LOD solutions won't reduce polys. Of the plugins that do that, Simple LOD is the least expensive and it works fine, even reducing polys at runtime in a background thread if you want it that way.

Here's their forum thread so you can read up on it.

42. seansteezy

seansteezy

Thanks @hopeful, I think I'll wait until Mixamo sorts out their Adobe acquisition and use their Decimator service on my models, I just need to reduce the poly count once since the camera is a top down setup, the level of detail doesn't need to be as high as the models are. It's just that I can't do anything about it ATM.

Sorry for posting all this junk on your thread @Arkhivrag!

43. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

faduci, seansteezy and 99thmonkey like this.
  44. hopeful

hopeful

LOL

45. S37H

S37H

Loving this plugin! Would it be possible to add a second IBL cube texture slot and blend between the two? For something like a day night cycle?

46. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

1. Do you want two color baking into mesh(for example one in Color buffer another in Normal buffer)
    - It is interesting.
    2. Or just MM editor having two IBL cube slots and blend them before baking?
    - hmmm, no.​

47. Squalol

Squalol

If you do so, ill buy it asap. I want to make a game with this style, but cant get meshes with good triangle topology. I tried zbrush decimator and while it works in some areas, in the smooth or plain areas it just makes very big triangles that look odd. If only there was a decimation tool that kept similar triangle sizes across the model >.<

48. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Mesh Materializer is nearly perfect as it is. If you need to decimate, do what I do and use Simple LOD. Typically around the clothes, I don't use Simple LOD but I drop it into Blender and delete all the triangles under the clothes.

hopeful likes this.
  49. S37H

S37H

Not exactly either - I'm using the IBL in real time at the moment - probably not intended for your shaders but it works great. Currently I'm adjusting the IBL intensity for my day/night cycle, but it would be really nice to blend between 2 IBL cubemaps instead.

50. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

So you want shader with two IBL cube slots? It is very specific shader that goes beyond Mesh Materializer - as Editor Extension asset - purpose.