Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mega Sci-Fi City Pack [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DanielKolex, Jun 16, 2014.

1. danreid70

danreid70

2. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Here is a preview of the Command Center Structure coming soon in the Mega Military Complex Pack:

MilitaryComplexPreview_03.jpg

3. danreid70

danreid70

More pics! ;) what scale are those military blocks relative to the city blocks? The airstrip with the 2 hangars: might need to scale the hangars up and have only one - or vehicles/characters scale might be too big... Imagine a vehicle on road on one lane in city block, would a vehicle of that size easily fit into hangar? Already imagining those being spawn and resupply/regenerate/fix spots for flying vehicles... :)

Taking some vacation time next week, and the few days not spent camping, I'm planning (hoping!) to put some time into setting up some scenes, with a good portion of the models in place will definitely screen cap and post some shots.

One more (hehe) request? Well, maybe not even requests so much as my dreamt up ideas I'd love to be able to do, if I could model like you! ;) I hope you take these as a compliment of your work!

For placing these large cities on uneven ground, possibly some kind of girder/frame structure to attach under the blocks, that can "sink" into terrain to give it a support structure where valleys under the city would otherwise show through? Manually placed, as I'm not sure how that could be done in editor over uneven surfaces... Maybe ray cast to get top height for each block...

And/or ramp or elevator block for edge roads that might end over a drop in terrain? I could make something like those myself (very basic looking), but included in the pack would have that same "style" that gives these packs that "flair". Wouldn't even need colors for support structures, they'd just be gray or metal looking supports or pillars or something like that...

Turrets flanking the entrance to the city with ramp leading up to the structure would rock! A huge sprawling city, with terraced smaller suburbs at different heights matching terrain heights, and guarded military bases on the outskirts... Free kin awesome! ;)

Awesome packs! Already my favorite! Will be posting reviews on lots of your models soon!!! ;)

--Dan

4. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

I'll throw in some 'under' structures for the blocks into the Mega Military Complex Pack for you. :) And after that's released I'll work on putting those into the Mega Sci-Fi Cities Pack. Just trying to stay focused on getting all the models done for Mega Military Complex Pack done first and released. :) Thanks again for all your support.

5. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

The Airfield is 3x4 blocks I believe. And yes... the Hangars are huge almost 1/2 block large.

6. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Next structure being designed is the RRDC (Rapid-Response Defense Cannon)... Images coming soon.

7. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

8. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Hoping to have more update screens of Mega Military Complex Pack tomorrow or Sunday. Stay tuned.

9. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Had to take a few days off... needed a short break. Will return to full production on Monday.

10. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

My time off is over... back to work on the Mega Military Complex Pack. :)

11. danreid70

danreid70

Just got back from almost full week of camping with no wifi! :eek: was nice, but was going through withdrawal with no way of watching this thread, Daniel! :) post some updates? Dying to see what you've been working on! Military complex pack, especially! ;)

12. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Had to take a personal week last week, so progress has been slow. Life happens you know. lol Will post updates ASAP. Thanks for keeping tabs.

13. danreid70

danreid70

Lol, oh, trust me I know how life tends to pop up and put unique spins on things... In fact, this camping trip I planned and have been excited for over 3 months - I got sick (allergies?) and spent all of it feverish, Achey, and coughing... Didnt get meds till Sunday, cuz I found out I had a sinus infection... And it'll be a few days till this fully goes away... Go figure. ;) I just like to pop up on here to let you know your fans are always here and excited to see your new stuff. :)

14. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

And you coming back and hearing that you're excited keeps me going. :) Thanks!

15. casperjeff

casperjeff

Very nice - can you possibly give any info on poly/vert counts for some of the buildings?

16. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Yes, I'll do a check on that later today.

17. casperjeff

casperjeff

Any luck?

18. danreid70

danreid70

Hey Daniel, hope all is well. Any updates? Would love to see screens of military complex pack, or status on what you've been working on? I bet your schedule is like mine - summer is just so busy with other stuff. Honestly it's tough getting the ambition and drive to sit at computer every day, after 10 hrs in front of one at work all day.. And weekends spent trying to scrape together what little summer outdoors we're getting this year... That said: I get these brief bursts of inspiration once in awhile out of the blue and can't stop working on parts of "the game"... ;) I know first hand creativity isn't something that just pumps out productivity like a factory. I'm betting you're kind of in the same situation? Regardless, looking forward to seeing updates when you're set!

19. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Just been super busy working on Client work this past two weeks. Hopefully soon will get back into the swing and get some updates posted. Thanks for Checking in. :)

20. casperjeff

casperjeff

btw, I went ahead and bought the asset and am working slowly to extract the buildings and textures I needed for my game TimeTracer (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/time-tracer.243787/)

Couple of notes - the models are fairly low poly - which is awesome for me!!

The space 'buildings' are really combinations of other buildings (some inverted) with other assets from the set. Not saying anything negative - some of them look pretty good!! The only issue I have is that each building has it's own material and hence - end up with multiple draw calls per building. Probably not a big deal on PC but I am trying to optimize for mobile. A good team should be able to merge textures and manage this I would expect (not sure if this includes me :)

I really wish my game used a 3d perspective off-forward perspectives - your models shine when viewed from different angles. I will slowly rotate some of them in my space missions...

Thanks for a nice asset...

21. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

I will look into merging the materials, add it to my list of things to do. No team here... just me making all these. Working on getting the Mega Military Complex Pack completed first though.

Thanks again for the kind comments.

22. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Mega Sci-Fi City Pack will be $20 in a few days... I'll announce when it drops in price.

23. casperjeff

casperjeff

AHHHHHGGGGGG!!!!!

:)

24. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

The Mega Sci-Fi City Pack has been reduced to $20 in anticipation of the release of the Mega Military Complex Pack due to be released sometime early next month. Thanks for all the support.

25. danreid70

danreid70

Daniel, really looking forward to that military pack! Been off line for a while camping with the family and working, but still have been checking back to see updates as often as possible! One of these days I'll get a few screenshots of my minuscule progress on one of these forum threads to show what I'm doing with your models. Also have most of your space ship packs, by the way... ;) They'll be playing the part of the hordes and waves of enemies wreaking havoc on players in my game...!
    Besides summer and doing stuff with the family holding me back from my pet project, I have to say I keep losing my ambition. Every time I see new updates, I get this urge to work on it again. It inspires my own creativity. Oh, and this limbo waiting for Unity 4.6 and 5 to come out... I'm dying to see the new UI, and check out what the new networking system does... I don't want to get too far and find the new stuff works brilliantly and have to rebuild stuff from scratch. So kind of a forced break from developing anything right now.
    So... Can't wait to see more! Looking forward to what you've been working on!
    --Dan

26. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Soon... :) Soon... there will be more.

27. danreid70

danreid70

:D Woohoo!!! :D I can't wait!!! :D

28. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

I am hoping to finish up the Solar SatComm Building for the Mega Military Complex Pack today and get a preview screen posted of it here. It is almost complete.

29. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Here is the Solar SatComm Structure for the upcoming Mega Military Complex Pack:

MilitaryComplexPreview_04.jpg

30. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Are there destroyed versions of each building or is that something you might do in a future update or a separate package? A ruined sci-fi city?

31. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

That's planned in a future update. Shooting for releasing the Mega Military Complex Pack next. Considering putting in destroyed buildings but not sure depending on time.

32. danreid70

danreid70

I've been away for awhile... Out camping a lot - no computers around... Kinda nice, but now I'm back! Yay!
    Daniel, first place I check in after camping is this thread... ;) any more pics you can post? Military complex pack? :) can't wait to see what you've been working on!

33. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Here is a little sneak peek at the next package on its way soon:

unmannedDrone.jpg

34. danreid70

danreid70

More updates on mega military pack! ;) I'm dying to see more! ;) I like the drone - is that for a different pack? Or part of mega military?

35. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

The drones will be included in the Rockets - Weapon Systems Pack which will be released next week hopefully.

36. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

37. danreid70

danreid70

Mega Military Complex Pack update? :)

Weather has just been too nice these last few weeks and have barely been online satisfying my Unity development... Once it starts getting colder and I'm stuck inside, I'll be catching up again more often. I haven't even picked up the high-rez-beams or rocket pack yet - but I will! :) just saving a bit here and there for a few packs at once. I want to get that military pack to mix up with city pack and put together a custom multiplayer system so players can build and upgrade their cities, and have block-by-block urban battles in each others' fortified cities... I have a general idea how I'm going to set it up but have been procrastinating and using the excuse "just need that one last set of assets before I can get started"... That and the wait for unity 4.6 / 5.x final, so I can start working with the new GUI.

Hope you've been having a great summer, Daniel!

38. danreid70

danreid70

Hi Daniel. Hope all is well. How's the Mega Military Pack coming along? Every time I check back on this thread, I see these first models in the set and can't wait to see the full pack. Going to start putting together the Mega City blocks, but keep thinking it won't be complete without military style buildings at the center to spawn the ground, aerial, and infantry forces, and defensive turrets (your turret packages will fill that role nicely!). :)
    Keep up the great work!
    --Dan

39. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Mega Sci-Fi City Pack 2 is in development. More news to come soon...

danreid70 and Deleted User like this.
  40. danreid70

danreid70

Can't wait to see it! :) Will it have city generator like Pack 1? Ground and space versions? :) Looking forward to it! I really liked the earlier work you were doing for Pack 2 - can't see the rest of the models! (sneak peek? :) )

Deleted User likes this.
  41. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

The Mega Sci-Fi City Pack has been tested in Unity 5.1.1f1 and updated.

Deleted User and danreid70 like this.
  42. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

The price has dropped to $20 with the expected release of the Mega Sci-Fi City Pack 2 soon.

43. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Mega City Sci-Fi Pack is FREE for a limited time. Enjoy!

44. MrIconic

MrIconic

Is this asset still being worked on? I'm looking around for a city generator and I've always wondered if this would be able to do it.