Search Unity

Mega Sci-Fi City Pack [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DanielKolex, Jun 16, 2014.

1. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Announcing the Mega Sci-Fi City Pack, released now to the Unity Asset Store for $20.

Grab it here:

Mega Sci-Fi City Pack on the Unity Asset Store

Webplayer (v2.5) Updated: June 28, 2015, 1:34PM CST USA

TRY THE MEGA SCI-FI CITY PACK WEBPLAYER DEMO OUT HERE

MegaSciFiCitySP_Screen01.jpg

Mega Sci-Fi City Pack, is both a sci-fi city buildings 3D model pack and a randomized city generator pack. With 16 unique city objects to mix and match, the Mega Sci-Fi City Pack makes it easy to add a sci-fi themed city to your game. The Randomized City Generator script easily created the city layout for you with ease. Create and add new 'city block' prefabs to the random city generator script to increase the randomness and create your own look. The pack contains 3 color schemes: green, red, and blue, each with their own prefabs ready and setup to place into your game.

FEATURE LIST:

- INCLUDES BOTH GROUND BASED CITY AND DEEP SPACE CITY PREFABS
    - 4 COLOR SCHEMES INCLUDED
    - 16 CITY BUILDINGS & OBJECTS
    - EAST-TO-USE RANDOMIZED CITY GENERATOR SCRIPT INCLUDED IN C#
    - FULL DEMO SCENE INCLUDED

MegaSciFiCitySP_Screen03.jpg
    MegaSciFiCitySP_Screen05.jpg
    MegaSciFiCitySP_Screen09.jpg
    MegaSciFiCitySP_Screen07.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  2. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

3. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Thank you! I'm planning on adding more Color Schemes and Building Types in the future.

4. napster

napster

Hey good work buddy, instead of using ground try space version ;)

5. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Do you mean making a space city? As in linked and floating in space?

6. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

7. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Adding Dark Color Scheme to Mega Sci-Fi City Pack:

MegaSciFiCitySP_Screen09.jpg

8. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Here is the Deep Space City Version of the Dark Color Scheme:

MegaSciFiCitySP_Screen10.jpg

9. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

10. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Mega Sci-Fi City Pack has been submitted for approval. Should be released on the Asset Store in 3-4 days.

11. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

This looks very nice. You should put in a FPS prefab or a camera so we can get a better view.

12. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Awesome .... will definitely use this for a future project.

13. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Thanks!

14. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

I'm working on an add-on pack for Mega Sci-Fi City Pack next. It will contain military objects, such as crates, walls, barracks, etc.

Stay tuned...

15. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Neat ... I'd like bigger objects like military buildings. Things like landing pads, defense turrets, satellite arrays, defensive fortifications ,etc.

16. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

I'll work on adding in those as well. :) Thank you for the feedback.

17. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

18. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Ok everyone, I've decided to create the next pack in this series called Mega Military Complex Pack. It'll have the same color schemes, included lots of military themed buildings: command center, radar structures, air field, starport, wall, turrets, etc... Stay tuned for more info on this...

19. danreid70

danreid70

Could you also add yellow, gray, and white color variations to these packs? That would rock! My team colors use gray/white for "no team" (unaffiliated), and team/faction colors red, blue, green, yellow. That way I could use color areas in cities for which team has conquered an area. Not sure if my limited graphics skills would be significant enough to modify the existing color schemes... :)

Great work! I have most of your assets already and love them! They fit nicely with a few other model sets I've been collecting to build my "universe". City structures (especially these space ones!) are the final touch I need to complete and start the final stages of building my game!

Thanks Daniel, for the great work!
    --Dan

20. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

I'd be happy to add those color schemes for you. :) I'll try to have them put in the next update. Thanks!

21. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Coming in Update 1.5:

Yellow Color Scheme

MegaSciFiCitySP_Screen11.jpg
    MegaSciFiCitySP_Screen12.jpg

22. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Coming in Update 1.5:

White Color Scheme

MegaSciFiCitySP_Screen13.jpg
    MegaSciFiCitySP_Screen14.jpg

23. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

The space city looks great, can you make a video tutorial on how to do this with the kit?

24. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

With what kit?

25. danreid70

danreid70

Daniel: very cool! I like the yellow and white versions! Thank you!!! And I swear, I only asked about it this morning, I get back from work and already you're updating and have preview screenshots! Awesome!

Purchasing tonight right after I post this!!!

26. danreid70

danreid70

Purchased!

27. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Awesome... hoping to have the Grey color Scheme done tonight and update submitted for approval. Then it should only be a few days till the update with new colors goes live. Thanks for the support and suggestions.

28. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Also, in the next update I hope to put in an Editor addition for the randomized cities so you can easily add them to your game as a level... it's been a long long day... will explain this more later. :)

29. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Coming in Update 1.5:

Gray Color Scheme

MegaSciFiCity_Screen_Gray01.jpg

30. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

31. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Coming in version 2.0:

Easy-To-Use Editor Window for generating randomized sci-fi cities directly into your scene for saving:

MegaSciFiCity_Screen_EditorWindow01.jpg

32. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Version 2.0 has been submitted. Should be live in a few days. I'll announce when it's up.

33. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Would love some feedback on this package. Anyone like it?

34. danreid70

danreid70

I don't just like it: I love it! REALLY looking forward to the mega military pack, too!!! Same color variations I presume? ;)

Seriously this package (and the addition of upcoming military theme with space ports and turrets and such) has made me rethink part of the gameplay of my never ending pet project of a game! I'd tinkered with the idea of cities before, but not being a modeler and not much in the way of funds, I haven't found the right combination of style I'm aiming for and variety of indie models. This pack fits the other models I've been collecting quite well! It opened up a new element of strategy and gameplay I'd only toyed with.

Great job and keep the creativity flowing!!! You're one of my favorite developers here in the unity indie circles! I'm addicted to the assets you guys keep coming out with! My programming and vision for creating "the game I'd play" relies on you guys! ;) you keep feeding into my inspiration!

35. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Thank you! Much appreciated.

36. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Hoping to see version 2.0 go live today. Anyone have any other color schemes they'd like to see added to Mega Sci-Fi City Pack?

37. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Work continues on the Mega Military Complex Pack.

38. danreid70

danreid70

This weekend I'm hoping to start putting together some new maps in my game that will include this pack (already envisioning players walking driving and flying through these city-scapes.
    Can't wait for the military complex pack to have players take over buildings and power up turrets that they'll gain ownership of... (Switching color of buildings to their team color)... Thinking "out loud" here... ;) having landing pads that I can spawn ships/flyers on and land on to regenerate hp and weapon resupply... Fighting through city to gain ownership of each city block along the way until one side owns entire city... I think that would be fun!

Question: can you make military complex compatible with mega city in a way that we can generate both sets of prefabs mix and matched? With 2 separate packs, will there be a way to generate using models from both? Thinking instead of a separate pack, could the military complex be a part of mega city (same package - increase price), or two distinct separate packs? It's early and I'm only 1/4 through my first coffee... Lol

PS: post pics of early progress of military complex here or on separate thread? Can't wait to see! I like the style of your models!

39. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Don't worry the two packs will work together very well. :)

Here is a preview screen, teaser, of the Mega Military Complex Pack's walls and crates:

MilitaryComplexPreview_01.jpg

40. danreid70

danreid70

Looking good!
    I just thought of something for the city generation after playing with it a bit: instead of explicitly naming the object references by color and type, maybe use an array so the index references the color materials / that way instead of having to declare say 10 types of prefabs times x different color sets manually (ie: prefabs - graycorner, graystreet, ..., bluecorner, bluestreet, ..., redcorner, redstreet, ...greencorner, greenstreet, ...) only need to reference the type and use an index for color material (ie corner[0]=gray corner prefab, street[0]=gray street prefab, ..., corner[1]=blue corner prefab, street[1]=blue street prefab, ...) Plus, during generation, you could randomize the color integer to get cities with all the different color prefabs scattered through the city...
    Even better: Each prefab building/block could have a "SetMaterialColor(int)" function in an attached script that when instantiated would have all the colored materials as a material[] array, and set it on Start()... A -1 would choose a random color... Hmm...

During generation, could have some blank areas so city isn't always a perfect grid, but instead would have some "ragged edges", and city block clusters with open areas between... Might mess around with this after a bit of tinkering. ;) and put some terrain prefabs like rocks/trees in some of the "blank" areas... The potential for some really unique city layouts is staggering! ;)

I think this could be the ultimate city generator!!! Even add some simple navigation prefabs at the street corners to have AI traffic move through the city to give it life... And point lights to the street lights with a day/night trigger to turn them on/off... Great, I just added a new pet project to my list! Lol

41. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Awesome ideas... I'll consider them in the next update of Mega Sci-Fi City Pack. For now I want to get the Mega Military Complex Pack done and released. :)

42. danreid70

danreid70

When you put together the military pack, could you create the prefabs with just 1 mesh, and all the color versions as separate materials? I started putting mesh collides on all the fbx models, and then had to go into each prefab for each color to add physics mesh collider components, and then realized if the entire set used just the 1 mesh it would have been much easier. Especially when the asset store finally gets to updating to your latest release with the 3 new color sets.

It looks really cool when you scale the buildings to 100, and walk around through it with a 3rd person controller (generic 2 unit tall character). Next is to put vehicles in and drive through the streets.. It's neat going through the streets with those arches overhead, point lights next... Then some combat! And destructible buildings with a mesh splitter and some explosions and smoke. Going to use the laser and rail gun effects to blast stuff... And triggers with timers to hold long enough to switch materials to team colors... :) your models are getting some serious play here! :)

43. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

I'll make sure the Mega Military Complex Pack follows your requests. :)

44. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

If you'd like feel free to post some screenshot of the city all enlarged. Would love to see it from that angle. :)

45. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Hoping to have some more preview screenshots of the Mega Military Complex Pack sometime today.

46. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Still waiting on Version 2.0 to get approved hopefully that will be released today or tomorrow.

47. danreid70

danreid70

Daniel, really looking forward to seeing the military pack! Work is hellacious this week but I'm hoping to get some time again this week to boot up my project and I'll post some screenshots, from perspective of "little robot dudes running around in city" lol. My biggest bottleneck currently is biting my fingernails waiting for next version of unity and the new GUI. Pretty much all of it is held up until I decide it's the way to go since I have NGUI, DFGUI, and a couple other assets - but I don't want to get too far into developing all the interface and kick myself for not using new GUI if it ends up being better for my needs. Network code, scene navigation, inventory, scoring, instantiating troops/ships, dynamic space scenes and player customizations all depend on which I choose at this point. Which is ok, because with summer here I rarely get the "down time" to work on it.

One thing I do every day though, is watch the forum posts every chance I get (mornings before work, on breaks, and before passing out for the night -lol!). And I watch your forum posts for every update! I guess I'm addicted! Lol!

So that said, I'll post some very early screens with your cityscape, and soon enough, as soon as released, the military pack! ;)

Keep up the great work! You have fans of your excellent work out here!

--Dan

48. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Awesome... can't wait to see some screenshots. I'm currently swamped with day job stuff... but working on the Airfield for the Mega Military Complex Pack. I'll post a preview of it when it's done. :)

49. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

50. DanielKolex

DanielKolex

Here is a preview of the Airfield Structure coming soon in the Mega Military Complex Pack:

MilitaryComplexPreview_02.jpg