Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Mega-Fiers. A mesh deformation system - RELEASE

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SpookyCat, May 18, 2011.

1. GrooGadgets

GrooGadgets

Awesome mate, thank you so much!!!

2. Ony

Ony

A little while ago I was trying to use Mega Wrap (for conforming clothing) AND Mega Morph (I made morphs for the clothing) together on one object, but I could only get one or the other to work properly, not both together on the object. Is there a secret to making those two modifiers worked when "stacked"?

3. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@Ony - The wrap system is not a modifier it is designed to work on an object that you want to deform along with a target object. Unity does not allow two separate components to update a mesh, well it does but it will only take notice of the first change. So at the moment wrapping a deforming object onto another deforming object is not supported but it wouldn't take much to make a modifier out of the wrap system to make it work. I will add it to the todo list but can't say when that will be ready.

@avrigus - Had a very quick play with a character following a spline but still interact with the scene, video below. To make it better the main controller script, in this case the standard Third Person Controller would need a small modification to allow the character direction to set by the script as well, but as it is likely you will be using your own character controller script then best left up to you, basically just needs the rotation part of the controller to be turned off so that the direction can be set from the spline follow script.

4. Ony

Ony

Ok, yeah, that makes sense, thank you. If you do find a way to add that functionality in that would be fantastic. :)

5. GrooGadgets

GrooGadgets

Hey Chris,

Thank you so much for doing this, that is exactly what I'm after! Will this be in the next update?

Cheers,

Simon

6. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Yes the script will be in the next update.

7. GrooGadgets

GrooGadgets

Awesome, thank you so much again Chris. Will you include the script in both MegaFiers and MegaShapes?

Simon

8. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Yes, update will be available soon.

9. dober2x3

dober2x3

Hi, some Daz morphs deforms bones for example "Victoria 5 Supermodel".
    As i understand, megafiers support only mesh morphs, but did not change bones as do some daz morphs. Am i right?

10. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Thats correct, any changes to bone scaling etc is not contained in the morph data. I have not dabbled much with changing bones in a skinned character so not sure what is involved, if it were a simple task of interpolating bone positions and scaling etc then it would not take much to add such a system.

11. dober2x3

dober2x3

So if i want change height of model i must use morph on model without skeleton? How can i add run animation to that model?

12. Fahim_Ahmed

Fahim_Ahmed

Hello chris,
    please help me, the floating object is not reacting with ripples or waves of the water plane. Floating object floats correctly but not reacting with the water waves generated from mouse clicks. I've seen your tutorial. It's working correctly except dynamic reactions to new waves.
    I used your bouyancyNew script.
    I'm using unity 4.3.4.

13. Alphalpha

Alphalpha

I'm interested in the collision deformer showcased earlier in the thread but there doesn't seem to have been any mention of it in over a year. What's the status on that, was it finished? Abandoned? Made into a seperate package?

14. ill_tonkso

ill_tonkso

I feel a bit of a fool, me and a Unity C# Expert friend of mine are trying to call our animations in script. I can call bone animations as normal (animation.play etc, I like the Legacy system), but I can't seem to get my head around calling my morph animations.

We can play clips back via the MegaMorph Animator component, just fine, though:

public class TestAnimScript : MegaMorphAnimator{

void Start () {
    PlayClip("testAnim");
    }​
    }

does not prove fruitful. Am I missing the obvious? I traditionally script in JavaScript of ActionScript, slowly moving into C# territory.

Animations were defined in the Test Anim Script component, a well as attempting to add it in code (which did add it to my array).

:\

Dan

Edit: Actually, my whole script now looks like:

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class TestAnimScript : MegaMorphAnimator {
    6.     MegaMorphAnimator thing;
    9.     void Start () {
    10.         thing = GameObject.Find ("myMesh").GetComponent<MegaMorphAnimator>();
    11.         thing.PlayClip("testAnim");
    12.     }
    14.     void Update () {
    15.         if (!IsPlaying()){
    16.             Debug.Log("Not Playing Animation");
    17.         }
    18.         if (IsPlaying()){
    19.             Debug.Log ("Playing Animation");
    20.         }
    22.     }
    24. }

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  15. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Check you dont have the Animate box in the morph component checked, if you do it will overwrite the values set by the Morph Animator component.

16. syaped

syaped

I had been using Megafiers fine...but now whenever I try to import the package to a new project I get a bunch of these errors...

"Assets/Mega-Fiers/Scripts/MegaFiers/Modifiers/MegaModifiers.cs(815,56): error CS0117: `Timeout' does not contain a definition for `Infinite'"

"Assets/Mega-Fiers/Scripts/MegaFiers/Modifiers/MegaModifiers.cs(815,40): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOne(int, bool)' has some invalid arguments"

"Assets/Mega-Fiers/Scripts/MegaFiers/Modifiers/MegaModifiers.cs(815,40): error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `object' expression to type `int'"

No idea what's going on :(

17. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

This thread is not the ideal place for this, please submit a support ticket at the website. But those look like some very odd errors, the TimeOut type is a System value and not a MegaFiers one so it looks like you are either missing some parts or something very odd has happened. Please submit a support ticket with more info such as Unity version, MegaFiers version, platform building for, etc. It does sound though like there is a problem with the install of the asset, no one else has reported any such problems and I use the system daily on all platforms and Unity versions and have never seen such errors.

18. GrooGadgets

GrooGadgets

Hey Chris,

Just wondering how when we can expect the next update with the new character script? I can't wait to give it a whirl :)

Cheers,

Simon

19. HiroKiro

HiroKiro

I am being forced to use megafiers by our supervisor. So I thought. Turns out it is a very powerful suite of usable code.

Here is my problem that I cannot figure out.

I have an animated runway model in max. I save it with a point cache and an obj file. import both into Marvelous Designer and animate
    a tunic .

I then take the Point Cache objs and pc2 files and import them into Unity3d.. Perfect animation ..model walking in unity with a

flawless dress flowing like heaven.

Problem. I want to just use the animated FBX file with bones in unity to save space and lag.. in Max the Bones/skins match perfectly with the point cache created with 1 sample per frame.

I load the FBX into unity "with the legacy rig settings" and and it is placed exactly where the PC2 version of the runway model .

Now the dress and the FBX-model with not stay in sync. I have tried everything but will not sync properly when I pingpong it seems to be 0.5 fps off .

So when the model walks forward the buttocks stick out of the back of the dress slightly and when returning on the pong the the breast stick out the front instead.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated .

Sincerely,
    Hiro

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  20. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Hello,
    I'm having an issue with "Mega world path deform" on a mesh, along with the waving modifier. Everything looks great, it moves along my path and deforms, except for after a few minutes it starts to flicker and then eventually pops back on the path a bit. I also have a light attached using mega attach.
    Is this a familiar sounding issue? at first I thought it was sorting since my mesh has fur, but its the actual mesh breaking. I apologize if this has been covered, so many posts in this thread. BTW megafiers is just awesome.
    Thanks!

21. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@avrigus - The character control path follow script is in the latest update that is in the store now.

@HeadTrip - Sounds like a floating point precision issue if you could submit a support ticket at the website with a breakdown of the steps to recreate the problem then we can find out what is going on.

@HiroKiro - Again if you could submit this as a support ticket at the website and possibly send the fbx and cache files so we can take a look and see what is happening. The support ticket page can be found at http://www.west-racing.com/mf/?page_id=385

22. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Submitted a small update to MegaFiers to the Asset store and our website. It adds a new method to the Spline API to be able to build splines out of an array of world space points BuildSplineWorld() previously the points were expected in the local space of the spline. And we added a new helper script that allows you to constrain objects to splines but allow then to jump and interact with the background as shown in the video a few posts above.

Changes in v2.70

• Fixed a bug in constant speed open splines that have been reversed.
    • Added a BuildSplineWorld method to the api so splines can be built from world space points.
    • Added a beta of a new path follow script that will allow characters to be constrained to a path but otherwise be allowed to move freely and jump etc while on that path MegaCharacterFollow.cs

23. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

wow that's great! the path follow script sounds super useful...I believe I fixed my problem with the object on a path flickering.
    I had a duplicate of the setup running on the ceiling, once I removed it all was good. I'll have to make a new custom path for that one.
    Here's what I'm using megafiers for: A big fat furry creature we find on the moon iO
    "ioMoon" VR WIP
    http://www.headtripgames.com/headtrips-blog/13998597

24. GrooGadgets

GrooGadgets

Hey Chris!

Thank you so much for the update!

I've been trying to get the Character Follow script to work for the past hour but I can't get my head around it.

Can you please give a quick tutorial on how to set it up on my character please?

Thanks!

Simon

25. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@avrigus - Arr that was a mistake by me, I copied the wrong file, new version in the store now with correct code.

We have just submitted an update to the Asset Store for MegaFiers this brings some changes to the Spline system. The spline system in MegaShapes now supports twist values on each knot that make up the splines, this now makes it very easy to control the look of any mesh generated from the spline or to add banking effects to objects moving along the splines. Each knot can have its own twist angle and is not limited so extra spins can be applied easily. The first part of the video below shows the knot based twist working, the second part shows it being used with the full version of MegaShapes and the lofter.

Changes in v2.71

• Added beta support for twist values per knot.
    • Knot twist value now used in the extruded mesh options box, tube and ribbon
    • Path Follow script can use knot twist values
    • Character Follow script fixed.
    • New methods in API to Interpolate and get twist along with position

26. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@HeadTrip - That looks fantastic, looks very scarey indeed, nice materials on the worm. Going to have to dig my Rift out and have a go when you have it done, is it ok to use that video on my site?

27. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Glad you like it! Not possible without megafiers :) I'm going to be using many aspects of it for this project. Especially some sections with your new player path script. Sure you can post it, its not the best footage but I'm flattered you like it. Send me a PM when yoou have your rift out, maybe i can get you a playable :)
    (Edit)
    The twist knots on splines looks fantastic! Thank you for concentrating on spline paths.
    I would like to add the ability for the player to ride that worm, any suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  28. Alphalpha

Alphalpha

I'm interested in the collision deformer showcased earlier in the thread but there doesn't seem to have been any mention of it in over a year. What's the status on that, was it finished? Abandoned? Made into a separate package?

29. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@HeadTrip - The attach system is the usual way to link objects to a deforming surface, video below, or you could just do a path follow on the object that rides the worm and use the offset value to position it.

@Alphaalpha - I started work on the collision deform modifier for a client and got it to the stage they wanted and there was no interest from others to take it further so I moved on to other systems, it is something I have wanted to go back and improve but always seems to be something else to take up my time.

Attaching Objects to deforming meshes.

Also works on skinned deformed meshes

30. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@Alphalpha - Forgot to say the code for the Collision deformer is included in the system and it does what is shown in the video, if you need more functionality you can always have a go at adding the extra code you need.

31. Alphalpha

Alphalpha

@SpookyCat - Thanks for the info, I'll probably pick this up at some point then.

32. HiroKiro

HiroKiro

Hey Spooky. After going over you Point cache code I noticed it was pretty damn perfect and clean .... your script had no influence on this problem.

I then suspected "legacy" mode on Mecanim. I switched to generic mode and shut off the all mesh optimizing and walah! perfect point cache to
    FBX animation sync!

thanx ,

Hiro

33. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

"@HeadTrip - The attach system is the usual way to link objects to a deforming surface, video below, or you could just do a path follow on the object that rides the worm and use the offset value to position it."

Thanks! it works well... but I dont see an offset value. Using Path follow from scripts.
    thanks

34. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@HeadTrip - Arr yes I believe I took it out as it was better to use an empty game object as the attach object then make your actual object a child of that then you had control over the offset, rotation ans scaling and animated objects would work better.

@HroKiro - Interesting wonder why MecAnim has that issue, not yet used MecAnim in a project so not got a great deal of experience with its animation system but glad it's working now.

35. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Did another small update which improves the twist handles and also fixes a small bug at sharp corners, and now the Path deform and world path deform modifiers make use of the knot twist values as well.

Changes in v2.73
    • Knot twist values now used by World Path Deform.
    • Knot twist values now used by Path Deform.
    • Changed the knot twist handle to make it simpler and less cluttered.
    • Fixed a slowdown that could happen with twist handles enabled.

36. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

37. iddqd

iddqd

Hi there.

I added a stretch modifier to my mesh, but whatever parameters i set, the mesh won't deform. The mesh i have is dynamically generated.

When i use another prefab, it works, so there's must be a simple explanation for this, but i could not find it in the FAQs/Forum (i did not read through all 87 pages:)).

Many thanks.

38. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

39. iddqd

iddqd

done, thanks :)

40. Murgilod

Murgilod

Can this support boolean mesh operations and, if so, is it fast enough to handle in real time on low-poly meshes?

41. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

MegaFiers does not have a Boolean function, we do have a realtime boolean system in MegaMesh but MegaMesh is on hold at the moment since there are so many system out all ready that build primitives etc that didn't think there was any need for another system, mind you that doesn't seem to stop other authors, must be over 20 spline/curve systems on the Asset Store in one form or another.

42. SVGK

SVGK

Looks cool, how does it perform?.

43. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Well it does depend on what you are doing and vertex counts and platform you are running on. Can you say which platform you are working on. There are some examples on the various app stores using MegaFiers for their animation, for example BodyXQ uses MegaFiers for all its animations and is available for free on IOS, Android, Mac, and PC if you visit http://eu.bodyxq.org/MOBILE_DIORAMA you can try it out. There is also a stress test for Android at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SpookyCat.MegaFiers That demo is designed to be hard work for mobile devices as it has 100,000 vertices deforming at one time. You can turn each head on and off but still each head is 15,000 vertices.

44. fmrtp

fmrtp

Can I use gameobject instead of texture ? For instance, I have an object that contains label, button, sprite etc. and i want to create a book by using these objects. Is it possible ?

45. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Sorry I don't quite understand the question, when you say instead of texture what do you mean exactly? The system deforms meshes not textures, if you could explain a little fuller what you need to do I can give a better answer :)

46. fmrtp

fmrtp

There is an example about this on following link . We need to use UI elements, like buttons, labels etc., instead of just textures for pages. Can the system deform everything under the page object ? For example, when i flip the page, page needs to behave like a single mesh.

47. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Hey SpookyCat,

Sorry for asking this a few weeks after you've released the beta feature. Life's been busy. Do you have any documentation or tutorials on how to use the Create Prefab functionality for wrapped meshes? For me, this is exactly what I need for a customizable avatar system where there are body part sliders for morphing. Prefab wrapped armor meshes would need to be instantiated at runtime when a player equips an armor piece on its avatar.

Sorry if this information is somewhere and I've missed it. :)

48. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Version 2.74 has been submitted to the Asset Store. Tjis brings some improvements to the Spline system with buttons to flatten a spline as also to remove all twist values. We also smoothed out the twist transitions with an easing function, you can pick between the values just being linear interpolated or eased. Also added a warp version of the Squeeze modifier.

Changes in v2.74
    • Added Squeeze Warp
    • Added Axis value to Squeeze and Squeeze Warp to give more control
    • Added a Flatten button to the inspector so you can quickly flatten any spline
    • Added a Remove twist button to the inspector to reset any twists on a spline
    • Added a SetHeight method to the API so you can quickly set all knots and handles for spline to the same height
    • Added a SetTwist method to the API so you can quickly set all the knots in a spline to the same twist angle
    • Added option to choose easing mode for twist values, either Linear or Sine at the moment.
    • Added id values to the spline knots.
    • Removed some Debug messages that were left in for Maya morph import.

49. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@chiapet1021 - Not much to it, you just use the Create Mega Prefab option in the GameObject menu. It may be that just creating a prefab alone is not the solution to what you want to do, if it doesn't do what you need submit a support ticket at the website with a breakdown of what you are wanting to do and I will see what we can do.

50. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

@fmrtp - I see, currently the pageflip will only turn a single mesh at a time, you could use the attach object system to keep your other objects attached to the page as it turns which may do what you need. If the items you want to attach are things like Unity GUI items or sprites then they can not be deformed as they do not have a mesh that is exposed so again the best solution would be the attach system. If your other items though are mesh based then I could see about adding a PageFlip warp to the system which would allow multiple meshes to turn as one.

I did start on a much nicer book and page turn system which made use of a couple of bends which gives a much nicer turn with more control, a bit like the scroll example, plus the added benefit if it not flattening everything which the current page flip does, if I can find a few spare evenings I will see if I can get that turned into a proper system.