Search Unity

Medium quotes for 3D artworks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kafar, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Kafar

Kafar

Hi,

I need yours opinion... to make 3D artworks about games like Farmville, Clash of Clans, etc. which can request a graphic designer?

Thanks

2. Rombie

Rombie

I'm kinda confused. Are you asking how much it will cost to hire an artist for medium grade work?

Depends on serveral things. What style you are trying to achieve; the completixity of each piece and how many pieced need to be made. A game that requires around 100 different tile pieces can get pricey rather fast.

Maybe post in the commercial forums and see what offers you get. Might find something in your budget.

3. Kafar

Kafar

Thanks for reply.

To make the graphic artwork similar to Clash of Clans in terms of quality and number of assets (obviously exclude all logic and code) how much it will cost?

I hope to has been more clear now.

Thanks

4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Clash uses 2d, though the sprites are generated from 3D. It's tough to say, but generally speaking, a lot. There are tons of assets in a game like that. Ours is a similar type of game to clash, but 3D. We have just under a thousand unique models, not including several hundred 2d assets. You don't want to hear what we spent. ;)

It might be helpful to come up with a list of the total assets you need, then you might be able to get a ballpark estimate.

Martin_H likes this.
  5. Kafar

Kafar

Yes, I know Clash use 2d spritesheets generated from 3D models! If you want, I'm very curious to know what you spent for your artwork and if these game type with IAP business model return money or not.

You can write me in DM if you want.

Many thanks for share your experience.

6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

A rough guess would be several million. (15+ artists/TAs/animators for over 2 years). Yes, if successful, they make a lot of money. But it is a crowded market.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. N1warhead

N1warhead

Dang where do you work exactly? I need a remote job coding hahaah.
    Sounds like a big company and if they can pay millions in 2 years or even hundreds of thousands the company must be established in some form or another lol.

8. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

Go for it... Submit your portfolio to Walt Disney and wait for them to reply.

Some of the animators give portfolio reviews. So if you're fortunate you can get feedback and/or review.

Kiwasi and zombiegorilla like this.
  9. N1warhead

N1warhead

I was talking about the company he works with. Not just some random job.
    Yeah it would be nice if I could work with Disney. But yeah I wouldn't even attempt unless I had a Doctorate Degree to stand out from the rest who get a bachelors. Something tells me experience isn't really noticed for places like Disney and a degree would stand out more. I'm fixing to start college, but not for game dev. Figured I'd leave computers out of the equation because a lot of places if I can show experience it would trump a degree person anyday. But I can't count on it, so I'm going for the Medical field. I already have nearly 8 years experience in it, so may as well go get a degree for it and have a job that most avoid. (Radiological Technology - Xrays, Nuclear Medicine, etc).

10. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

zombiegorilla and N1warhead like this.
  11. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I work at Disney. Specifically Disney Midcore Games. My studio does primarily Star Wars and Marvel titles.

And experience is all that matters for us on the development side.

angrypenguin likes this.
  12. N1warhead

N1warhead

Oh dang, really! I didn't know you actually worked *for* Disney!
    Does Disney use Unity a lot? Or is it just your personal work where you use Unity?

Well I have nearly 20 years experience in 3D Art alone.
    But not great at characters, anything organic is my troubled area, anything else I can make.
    But I still prefer to have a Coding job as that's where I really shine. And just prefer it moreso.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  13. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Unity is our primary tool, we dropped our internal engines in favor of unity about 4 years ago. (Though our console titles still use in house engines).

I'm a Sr. Technical Artist, so I do art and code... Best of both worlds. ;)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  14. N1warhead

N1warhead

Oh nice :D :D. People talk all kinds of crap about Unity, but apparently they don't realize most of disney games are Unity then lol. Funny part is they couldn't even tell - that's another crappy Unity game! But oh wait - they enjoy it! lol.

And nice :D :D. How hard is it exactly to get a job there? (I may apply one day).

15. dogmachris

dogmachris

Depends. Artwork itself can be done fairly quickly. If your design is smart you can quickly alter existing models and turn a few models into a multitude. However if you want to design loads of unique assets like in CoC, you'll quickly find yourself in the 7-figure area in terms of costs.

16. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

We typically hire at sr. level and above, so depends on experience. As @Polywick Studio linked above, our open positions are here: https://jobs.disneycareers.com/sear...921&alp=6252001-5332921-5393021-5380748&alt=4

17. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Indeed, careful planning makes all the difference. Also, you want to very careful if you are going to outsource, make sure you test and figure out a safe poly/resource budget before work begins. If you commission a hundred troop types and only find out afterwards that the are too expensive to run in your game, you can end up having to again to have them corrected. And a more expensive art team may be better at providing good useable assets. If you go with too low a bid, you may end up with stuff that is unusable or needs additional work.

Martin_H likes this.
  18. neginfinity

neginfinity

His number is not surprising. Multiply average artist salary by number of people then by number of years. Google says that average artist salary is $43000. So $43000 * 15 * 2 = $1290000 . I'd say it is a normal operating cost for small EU/USA studio.

19. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

20. N1warhead

N1warhead

yeah I checked it out and saw only stuff that has nothing to do with Computers lol. At least in the design aspect (Art, Coding, etc). But of course I am exhausted from being up for hours upon hours working so I may have missed something lol.

21. Azmar

Azmar

I just checked out your kickstarter because I was interested and I read first line "Disciples of the Storm (DOTS) is a unique.." and I stopped reading after that. I remember playing a RTS game I think was made in the 90s with all my friends, it was not very well known and I don't even remember its name lol. But in that game you have floating islands and you can build bridges to reach other people islands and destroy them. It was a RTS and you could build units and you got an orb on your island to align yourself with something. Sound familiar? Because it is EXACTLY the same game as yours but made already (it also looked the same too lol), so I got pissed that Disciples of the Storm is claiming UNIQUE on this one. I started reading the comments to see if anyone else caught onto this. Tisk Tisk

Anyways besides the copying, the game itself was unique back then and I played it with several people for a few days but it quickly got boring and felt very clunky. So my feedback if you are going to remake this game, the bridge system felt limiting, clunky and when it came to actual battles it felt like I was throwing my troops into a one way tunnel which didn't feel like it had much depth to it. People also quickly took advantage of air troops and it got unfair quickly as my ground troops just stared and died at the air troops which purposely stayed out of range. So the bridge system should be bigger (wider), be able to build quickly, and have more unique mechanics and depth to it to make it feel fun. When you build an army you want to see a giant army spreading out and doing crazy stuff, not just funneled into a 1x4 bridge and get plowed down by some turret..anti fun mechanic. Anyways thats my 2cents feedback on that game.

EDIT: Found the name of the original game, NetStorm: Islands At War created in 1997..at least give some type of "found inspiration from this game" on your next kickstarter.

22. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

Hi,
    The original people behind NetStorm is supervising the project. We are the arts outsourcing studio doing the project.

Note:
    The game is still under production.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    Rombie and zombiegorilla like this.
  23. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

image.gif

Martin_H likes this.
  24. Polywick-Studio

Polywick-Studio

It's not that hard. From time to time, they are people from Walt Disney who go around giving talks and meet the artists sessions. You can ask them for a portfolio review (IF and IF you ask politely).

For their Unity projects, it's lot of VFX, SFX, animation, very polished UI and artwork. Rest I can't state further.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    N1warhead and zombiegorilla like this.
  25. Azmar

Azmar

26. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Indeed. To be clear my comments are generally about my studio specifically. There are several studios covering different genres. There a lot of recruitment opportunities around the country.

N1warhead and Polywick-Studio like this.
  27. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Out of sheer curiosity, how do you pick up junior workers? I assume you have them?

28. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

No, not anymore. (in development) The only real exception is interns. We take on about dozen each year, and usually we hire on a few of the exceptional ones if we have open reqs. (almost always artists). They start at standard level. We got a couple of amazing ones this year, and missed out on a couple of others because we didn't have the slots. (Again, this is midcore games, casual and kids/family games may be different).