Search Unity

May I use free asset in my commercial asset

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by denebhyde, Oct 7, 2015.

1. denebhyde

denebhyde

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

3. drewradley

drewradley

I don't think Lane understood your question. Since you want to use this in an asset and not a game you need to contact the creator and ask them directly. Mixamo is currently free. You can use those animations in commercial assets.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  4. goat

goat

It's questionable that the 3D-Brothers can post those recombined Mixamo assets for free legally but I suppose since they aren't changing for them Mixamo isn't particularly interested in issuing a cease & desist letter and it's unreasonable to expect the asset store to detect all such cases such as this and police them if the true asset owners don't make an effort to help Unity detect those assets. A system can be created to automate detection but that involves storage space, CPU cycles, creating an inventory system, coding, and systems administration.

5. LaneFox

LaneFox

Yeah I think I did misunderstand the question.

You can't sell an asset that contains someone else's free asset under the asset store eula unless you get explicit resale permission.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Kiwasi likes this.
  6. denebhyde

denebhyde

Thanks for suggstion :)

7. jpthek9

jpthek9

Even with explicit permission, it's still shaky.

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

You should be fine with explicit written permission. Something along the lines of

"I [insert original dev name here], grant [insert your name here] permission to package my asset [insert original asset name here] as part of his asset collection [insert your asset name here] subject to the following conditions..."

Anything less explicit then this is probably going to run afoul of the EULA.

jpthek9 likes this.
  9. jpthek9

jpthek9

Ah, I see. I got an asset rejected before because the permission for another asset on the store I had was something along the lines of "Sounds good brah".

Kiwasi likes this.