Search Unity

Materializer PBR Texturing Engine Beta Program Now Open

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JohnRossitter, Aug 22, 2014.

1. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Hi Guys and Gals!

Well after much blood sweat and Code, I'm ready to release the next version of Materializer Beta.
    If you would like to participate in the beta, send me a PM and I'll get you into the Private Facebook Group.

Thanks!

Materializer is a PBR Texturing Engine plugin for Unity that creates fully PBR textures and materials.
    The current beta version ships with almost 100 material variants from metals and cloth to asphalt and cardboard.

Invite.png

2. taichiu727magnus

taichiu727magnus

wow, i am interested

3. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

4. dixitalgorismi

dixitalgorismi

So what is it? How does it work? Some kind of Bitmap2Material from Allegorithmic? Saw a couple of your posts on Twitter, but I'm still unsure if it's a material library or something else.

5. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Hi there,

Well the quick answer is yes ;)

Materializer is a plugin for Unity that allows you to create custom PBR materials for you models/environments.
    In a nutshell, it takes some basic input information from you (Color Mask file, Base Normal, Base Ambient Occlusion) and provides you with a workflow to describe each surface on the texture. Finally, it will compile a set of PBR balanced output files which you can feed into a PBR shader like Alloy, Lux, Jove and Unity 5 Standard Shader.

Additionally it comes with a library of 90+ pre compiled materials you can just drop onto your existing models.

It also has tools to help you reverse engineer existing UV sets from your models and create entirely new PBR textures and effects.

If this sounds like something you would be interested in beta testing, shoot me a PM and I will put you in the Facebook group for the beta.

Thanks!

6. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

For those dying to know...

7. mathias234

mathias234

You are working very slow in that demo using 48minutes to make a demo

8. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

The demo is more of a tutorial for people who have no exposure to dealing with PBR environments. It covers setting up PBR Shaders like Lux and Alloy, how to configure Skyshop, how to make Diffuse Color Masks in Maya...so I don't think that it's slow, just covers a lot of material

9. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

That looks amazing, but to be honest I didn't make it too far into the video. I found that warbling music track to be quite unpleasant. Maybe consider leaving music out?

10. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Good Call Steve! I'll re-encode it later tonight

11. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Steve, Here you go...updated without music.

12. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Thank you! :D

Just watched it. Wow, very nice. It's much cooler than I was expecting - it sounds sort of like a dDo type of thing, but tightly integrated with the various PBR solutions in Unity.

I like the length of the video. It's detailed enough to really get a feel for the workflow; kind of feels like sitting next to somebody showing you the ropes.

Any chance that Jove integration is coming later?

13. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Thanks Steve,

Yes Jove is in the pipeline, just waiting to hear back from them on integration.

I think it's more than fair to compare it to dDo and Substance Designer. The main difference being that it's directly integrated into Unity (and does not require Photoshop...oh and it runs on Mac too).

If you would like to get in on the beta, ping me on a PM and I'll get you setup.

Thanks,