Search Unity

Material Preview

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by DrDecipher, Aug 13, 2014.

1. DrDecipher

DrDecipher

I'm working on a custom material editor window.

The Inspector preview in the Unity interface is something I want to replicate.

I do not know, but suspect that Unity has a scene, somewhere hidden, with a camera, lights and geometry that is rendered separately and then updates the window.

Is is possible to trigger, or include a different scene during the GUI update?

Thanks,
    Doc

2. Fr33Ke

Fr33Ke

3. DrDecipher

DrDecipher

Thanks...clever:) but I'm looking to replicate the 'Material Preview' as it is in the Inspector.

Any thoughts?

Is it possible to render a scene from file?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  4. Fr33Ke

Fr33Ke

i think its not possible to render a scene from file.

Ohhh Idea :D

make sphere and add script to make it rotateble than do the materials with ocular cashs tool and you will get some kind of that thing what you want :) also use scripts from that tool, But do not start to sell it !

5. DrDecipher

DrDecipher

I was trying to avoid having the sphere and camera in the scene, but that is possible to make a mini scene and hide it out of the way if I'm following what you mean.

6. Fr33Ke

Fr33Ke

Yup make mini scene :) and cmera :p

7. OcularCash

OcularCash

Thanks for the plug Fr33ke. But in this case, you would actually use Graphics.DrawMesh to draw a mesh in a given camera with a given material, then render the camera in the editor window. You can use RenderTexture if you have Unity Pro or you can place a script on a camera in the scene that creates an empty texture and gets the pixels from that camera in the OnPostRender function.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014