Search Unity

Master Thief by Universal Chicken

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by angrypenguin, Jun 3, 2013.

1. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

HI everyone!

After three years of on and off work with a couple of friends, I'm pretty stoked to finally announce the release of one of our hobby game projects, Master Thief, published in collaboration with Gametraders.

Master Thief is available now for iOS, and will be available in the near future for Android. We'd also love to release for PC, Mac, and any other platform we can get our hands on moving forward.

There is of course more that we'd like to do that hasn't made it into this version of the game, so hopefully there'll be a Master Thief 2, maybe in a year or so. Between now and then we intend to do a few more level packs, hopefully introducing some new mechanics along the way. If you grab the game make sure not to miss out on the level pack that's already published, it's got some really cool levels!

Thanks for checking it out, please let us know what you think!

Edit: Oh yeah, we also got picked as "Today's Best App" on AppAdvice.com! Here's hoping that it's the first of many victories. :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
    twobob likes this.
  2. Patico

Patico

Wow! Nice game and good idea!

3. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Congratulations on release - looks neat!

5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Thanks guys! :)

6. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe

This is really cool but really short... Are there more packs coming? I'd quite like to review this for Touch Arcade, so if you're keen, PM me... I'd like to get more info :)

7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yes! For this version of the game we want to get at least two more packs out.

What do people think of the length of the packs? Our thoughts were to keep them short to encourage replays and for people to improve their times, as feedback from trade shows was that this was the best part of the game - many people came back multiple times to improve their times on the levels we had on show, with two or three people spending upwards of an hour in total. The contents of our high scores database make it hard to tell if people are doing the same with the mobile version, though, and if they're not we'll of course looking at providing content that better fits how people are playing.

8. n0mad

n0mad

Congrats :D

9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Submitting our first major update now - several fixes and improvements, and doubling the number of levels in the game.

Available as soon as it get's through Apple's process.

:D

10. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Thanks very much to POLYGAMe for an excellent review over at Touch Arcade!

People can check it out here: http://toucharcade.com/2013/06/21/master-thief-review/

I'm also happy to say that I'm pretty sure we've addressed every one of the gripes in the update I mentioned in my last post, which should be live on the App Store early next week if not over the weekend.

11. Aguy

Aguy

Had this same idea clanging around in my head for like a month and here it is...of course...
    Stop reading my mind dammit :grin:

Looks good. Would look better if it was on Android...hint hint hint HINT

12. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Android's coming. :)

13. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

And our update has hit the App Store.

Twice as many levels for both the base game and the booster pack, plus an improved joystick, an engine upgrade, and a few other small improvements and fixes.

Also, this weekend we significantly improved our internal tools for level creation and have started designing the new features to be introduced in the next booster pack.

14. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

For the Android owners out there, Master Thief is now available from Google Play!

You can get it here.

Attached Files:

15. Aguy

Aguy

So many people say they're porting to Android and then you sit weeks and weeks and then months and never hear another word.
    Your game goes from good to great just for having Android :)

16. FrenchToast112

FrenchToast112

Looks awesome!!!!

17. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Ours only took so long because of a couple of minor, non-technical holdups. The game was designed and built multi-platform and, aside from Facebook integration, works out-of-the-box on all platforms with practically zero effort. To me it's the number one benefit of using Unity, and we're looking forward to it getting even better with the release of 4.2 and support for even more platforms.

18. Aguy

Aguy

I thought it was quick actually. Still waiting for other games from last year...

19. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Well, for us Master Thief was cross-platform from design time. We did a rebuild about a year and a half ago (threw out a bunch of prototype code, and created a level architecture designed for a level editor and online sharing) and ever since then it's been regularly run on PC, Mac and iOS. Facebook and in-app purchasing are the only hiccups there, and that's not because of anything on the Unity end - those things are just very platform dependent. Unity handles everything it can handle really quite well.

The "trick", if there is one, is to design for the lowest end target and scale up, not the other way around. It's easy to add more things when you move to a platform that can handle it. It's a real pain in the bum to take things out without degrading the experience.

twobob likes this.
  20. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Master Thief was named a game of the week by macgasm.net! You can check it out here.

21. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

We've been reviewed by Hyper Magazine in Australia. :)

22. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

For anyone who hasn't checked it out, we've made Master Thief free for the day on iOS.

Now you have no excuses not to steal all the loot! ;)

23. marcos

marcos

Congratulations on the release!
    Just bought it, looks nice and polished. Going to have a proper play later on :D

24. EmptyHelium

EmptyHelium

Great job! very well done!

Since I could not reply to you on my last thread, I use audacity to make my sounds :).