Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Marvelous Techniques

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kirnu-Interactive, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Hi all,

Marvelous Techniques is a asset package which includes tools to make powerful games with very popular flat atmospheric graphics style used in many top selling games recently.
    The package suits for all people with every skill level.

With the package prototyping of different styles is fast thanks to easy to use shaders and tools.
    This asset package is unique and you can't find anything similar from the Asset Store. When purchased you don't only get the package you get premium support so all your problems will get quickly solved.

Go to the Asset Store

Update v.1.2 is available

The package includes:

- Custom lighting shaders.

- Other shaders including the ocean shader, height fog shader, water pool shader, linear gradient, camera overlay, vignette...
    Bloom and Screen Texture Blend image effects.
    Total of 31 Mobile optimized (tested with iPad 4th gen) shaders. All shaders are CG vertex/fragment shaders.

- Powerful scripts including very useful Mesh Combine script which will make your scene to look even more prettier :)

- 14 example scenes from where you can learn how beautiful scenes are built. New scenes will be added regularly.

- Comprehensive documentation which explains details of every shader and script. Documentation also discuss about the preferred work flow of building a game scene.

Demo scenes:
    The Island
    The Building
    Water Color
    Cubes
    Cave

Videos
    Marvelous Techniques video 1: Workflow Tutorial
    Marvelous Techniques video 2: Workflow Tutorial 2

Please note that this package does not contain any characters or game play mechanics. Only graphics assets, shaders, scripts and tools.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Lachee1, Gozdek, Ony and 1 other person like this.
  2. p6r

p6r

The renders are wonderful...
    Could you test your shaders and light effects on various free assets from the store to see how it looks with known assets to be able to compare ?
    For example how does the free Necromancer look like with your shaders ?
    Thanks in advance.

If you don't have time for testing this you could add me to your beta testers...

6R

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  3. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Do you mean Necromancer which is GUI skin package?
    I don't know how to thest the shaders in marvelous techniques with that package.
    Could you elaborate a bit.

4. p6r

p6r

No ! I mean the 3D model (character) !
    6R

5. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

6. p6r

p6r

7. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

These shaders are made for 3D models as you can see from the demo scenes.
    The necromancer model should look the same as in the images because it's just a model with a texture.
    The custom lighting shaders would add the custom lighting model to it.
    If you want to test out the package before purchasing it please contact me.

8. p6r

p6r

e-mail sent !
    6R

9. karadag

karadag

Hello

How could I test Marvelous Techniques? What is your email address?

10. p6r

p6r

WOW ! A lot of very interesting shaders here.
    Your scenes are great to see what we can do and to know how to parameter the various shaders. Great job !
    The fog and water systems are very very very clever.
    I have to test more to know if there are exactly what I could use, especially for low poly style !
    People can't be disappointed with your asset, I think...
    6R

11. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Now the custom lighting shaders support also realtime shadows. Will update the package soon.

-Arto

12. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

New demo scene coming to the next version of the asset package.
    Features two new shaders: Distance light and distance fog. Also realtime shadow support added.

Alverik, hpzxk and zyzyx like this.
  13. lazygunn

lazygunn

I have no idea how to contact you but i'd definitely be interested in looking at this thankyou

14. p6r

p6r

Wonderful picture ! You're an artist !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great environment and very professional look !
    Nice to see you want to give us marvelous Tools to make marvelous Games !!!

6R

15. lazygunn

lazygunn

The imagery is very similar to a recent game that had you solving puzzles using escher-like distortions on an isometric projection, it looked great, and while im not interested in isometric representation, id love the know how even if down to reappropriate

16. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

You can find the support email from here:
    Kirnu Interactive profile

Mihai77 likes this.
  17. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Check out the new Web Demo: The Cave

18. p6r

p6r

I like the distance light effect and the entire scene...
    (I have deleted my 2 pictures with the Necromancer because I think it isn't the best way to use your shaders ! Your last picture and this Cave scene are more representative of what we can do with Marvelous Techniques !)

@lazygunn : You can work in 3D, 2.5D,... not necessary in an isometric projection with these shaders.

6R

19. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

As requested I'll start making videos which will describe the package better.
    The workflow video is already done and currently uploading to YouTube.

20. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

OMG, I can't believe I miss this. Bought it without a second thought. Can u upload the Cave demo? I want to see how you do the magic tricks. Btw, is there a way to quickly reduce the whole Ambient color, because I want to make a Night view, and with my simple Weather system, the Directional light intensity down to 0, the Ambient color still so bright, and is there a better way not to go through all materials to reduce their Ambient Color, Ambient Power, like a global Ambient Scale value would be cool.

Can I request the lightning effects, point light, bloom effects, ray lights effect, etc.?

Btw, please correct me if I'm wrong, do your shaders support Unity lights, besides Directional light?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  21. p6r

p6r

Here is a picture using the CustomLightingRealtimeShadow shader on some models :

6R

IdrilKalean likes this.
  22. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

sorry i Don Understand this asset. p6r you picture look worse then the original character asset?

23. p6r

p6r

Ooopss ! Sorry if you don't like it. I can delete it if you think it isn't a good advertisement for this asset... No problem !
    I have used the Mesh Materializer to make it lowpoly (to separate the vertices) to show here different light effects on these vertices. But the character isn't the most important here...
    Good to have honest comments !!! Maybe I'm the only one to like my picture !!! ;-)
    I think I have to improve my work...

6R

24. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

no harm, sorry p6r, I just dont Understand the function of this asset. You picture is fine.

25. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

The package is about shaders and tools to create beautiful scenes like those in this thread.
    There are for example custom lighting shaders which are easy to use and very efficient.

26. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Hi,
    About the ambient issue: I'll think about it and probably will implement some kind of Lighting Manager script which will control several Light Materials at one time. In fact I have thought of this before so I'll probably implement it.

I already implemented a fast bloom shader (will be in next update), point light would be similar to distance light which will also come in next update.
    Can you give me examples of the other effects lightning and ray lights.

-Arto

27. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

Hi,

There are several of lightning effects I have on my mind now, like Zone lightning, selective Glow using a Mask texture, Ray lights, that has some fake lightning effects on the floor it shines on, etc.

I know this is a 3D Shaders package. But, can I request a 2D Billboard shader? Because I need some Billboards to reduce geometry count and Marvelous using its own lightning system, it would not be optimal to use another secondary lightning system just for 2D Billboard or Sprites. I hope you consider to support some simple 2D shaders.

Thanks,
    D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    IdrilKalean likes this.
  28. p6r

p6r

@Devision4 : With the video tutorials Arto is making I think you will understand the function of this asset...
    Here is a simple example with the fog shader (we can add fog from the bottom to the top or from the top to the bottom directly on a 3D model !)

29. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Marvelous Techniques video 1: Workflow Tutorial

I hope you enjoy the video :)

-Arto

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    ikemen_blueD likes this.
  30. lazygunn

lazygunn

It looks like a good resource for beginners

31. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Testing out the new distance light shader. It will be included in the next update.
    No textures used only custom lighting shaders.

Ony likes this.
  32. p6r

p6r

Very nice Arto ! I like your style and this kind of simple models...

Here another example with my favourite (fog) shader on some models :
    (I model the orange meshes directly in Unity using the free Prototype asset.)

Spoken_OS likes this.
  33. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

I also like this art style, nice feature. It's going to be useful to reduce some memory usage from less using textures. I'm looking forward to new features you come up with. Colorful shadows blending could be cool too, just let u know.

34. rosdi

rosdi

Is there any way we can test this out without purchasing first? Perhaps you could offer a free 'lite' version with limited functionality?

I mean it sure looks good, but I am not sure it works for my game/setup...

35. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

could you make some scene demo like the cave with unity default fps controller ?

36. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

p6r your last example sold me :) I gonna purchase that asset. great work. Thank you

37. p6r

p6r

Glad you like my picture... (I had to improve my work after your comments !!!) :)

I don't work at all like Arto (a pro with lightmaps !) with these shaders. It's great to see other uses.

I think they are very interesting to create quick backgrounds for games. For example I need one second to create a sky with gradient and a few minutes for the whole scenes above or below :
    (Particles from the free Elementals asset !)

6R

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  38. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

tested it even in fps view and not orthographic camera it look really good and simple shapes
    What shader would be used to do emissive surfaces?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  39. p6r

p6r

How to tell a story with a few objects in a scene :

6R

40. p6r

p6r

Here is an example in 3 steps + right parameters for the fog shader. (I use the shader on a simple Unity Plane.)

With the colors and the fog values you make the gradient and with the Layout Texture you can add some interesting effects to this gradient = nice background !
    Then I add some 3D models using a fog shader too and some free (-> Elementals) Particles.

6R

Alverik and overthere like this.
  41. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Nice pictures 6R.
    I'm currently improving the custom lighting shader because I thought it didn't behave correctly in all situations.
    I mean the light calculation were not looking correctly every time when using model with many faces pointing in many different directions.

I'm also going to add a rim light and rim power to all custom lighting shaders.
    There are currently very many shaders because there are so many combinations with different features. I'm going to rewrite the main shaders from scratch and will use custom material editors to enable different features.

This means you have to wait for the update a bit longer :)

Keep posting cool images of what you have done with Marvelous Techniques package and keep requesting new features :)

-Arto

42. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

im not sure about its something that can be done with vertex shader but one request i would like is a way to simulate metallic surface? emissive surfaces?

43. Frpmta

Frpmta

Does the asset include the Cave scene?

44. hpzxk

hpzxk

can't imagine i can find this!! it's so so so great! Please keep updating!!!

45. hpzxk

hpzxk

just try to edit color, it's very easy to use.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  46. p6r

p6r

I can't see your picture !?!

If I change the layout texture and the colors : fire or waves !

6R

47. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

Yes it will :) Not the current one but the 1.1 update I'm going to release soon.

-Arto

48. tombombadil1988

tombombadil1988

The cube and roof use the same material/shader. What I want to achieve is the left side of the roof to be yellow and the right side to be dark green (as seen in the simple cube next to it). So no gradients. Is this possible with your shader?

49. Kirnu-Interactive

Kirnu-Interactive

It should be possible. Just set the front color as your left color and rim color as your right color.
    The roof normal look a bit odd because the color isn't even at every vertex.

-Arto

50. tombombadil1988

tombombadil1988

I'm not quite sure what you mean Arto. As you can see in the photo above I have already set the front color to be yellow and the rim color to be black. This produces a gradient from the left side of the roof to the right side, yellow to black.