Search Unity

Marmoset Skyshop - Image-Based Lighting Tools [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by monkeyscience, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

This is a tough one. Those speckles are reflections of the bright side of your environment. If the reflections were raytraced, these speckles would be occluded by your geometry. The best you can do is add ambient occlusion with a map or vertex colors (Occlusion/ shaders).
    Note: Occlusion maps/vcolors have a separate R and G component, R is used for diffuse occlusion and G for specular occlusion.

They are aliased and noisy because normalmaps don't mipmap very well. One stray fragment looks in the wrong direction and finds a very bright, HDR pixel in your sky.

Other things you could try:
    - Anisotropic filtering on the normalmap
    - Antialiasing (MSAA or an FXAA post effect)
    - Less glossy materials or blurrier specular cubemaps also help
    - Toning down your fresnel and specular intensity. Fresnel exaggerates how bright reflections look on the horizon. With some adjusting you can get the noise under control.

2. garrett3d

garrett3d

So, no support for vertex alpha then?

3. edredar

edredar

Hello,
    First of all, I'm sorry, if I write to the wrong place =). For some reason, I need a little modification for Skyshop shaders. I need the diffuse map to use the second UV set, not the first. But, I'm not experienced in shader coding. I would appreciate any help.

4. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Oh sorry! Missed this somehow.

Vertex color alpha is fully supported but it looks like Skyshop doesn't ship with a shader variant that enables transparency and vcolor at the same time. This is an easy variant to write though:

1. Look for the Marmoset/Shader/Transparent/ folder in your project and make a duplicate of one of the shaders.
    2. Rename the shader file and name string in the shader to something descriptive (ex: Bumped Specular VColor IBL).
    3. Add the following line to the list of MARMO_ features #defined in the subshader:
    Code (csharp):
    1. #define MARMO_VERTEX_COLOR
    If you are working in Mobile/ shaders, duplicate a mobile/transparent/ shader. Also note that mobile shaders have two sub-shaders and you'll want to add MARMO_VERTEX_COLOR to both.

5. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

This one's a little trickier, you'll need to modify the core MarmosetSurf.cginc file.

1. In Marmoset/Shader/MarmosetSurf.cginc, find this long block of uv coordinate #defines:
    Code (csharp):
    1. #if defined(MARMO_CUSTOM_TILING)
    2.         #define uv_diff  (INtexcoord0 * _MainTexTiling.xy +  _MainTexTiling.zw)
    3.         #define uv_diff1 (INtexcoord0 * _MainTex1Tiling.xy + _MainTex1Tiling.zw)
    4.         #define uv_diff2 (INtexcoord0 * _MainTex2Tiling.xy + _MainTex2Tiling.zw)
    5.         #define uv_diff3 (INtexcoord0 * _MainTex3Tiling.xy + _MainTex3Tiling.zw)
    7.         #define uv_spec  (INtexcoord0 * _SpecTexTiling.xy +  _SpecTexTiling.zw)
    8.         #define uv_spec1 (INtexcoord0 * _SpecTex1Tiling.xy + _SpecTex1Tiling.zw)
    9.         #define uv_spec2 (INtexcoord0 * _SpecTex2Tiling.xy + _SpecTex2Tiling.zw)
    10.         #define uv_spec3 (INtexcoord0 * _SpecTex3Tiling.xy + _SpecTex3Tiling.zw)
    11.         ...
    12. #elif
    13.        ...
    14. #else
    15.        ...
    16. #endif
    Following this long #if block, add the lines:
    Code (csharp):
    1. #ifdef MY_DIFF_FROM_UV1
    2.        #undef uv_diff
    3.        #define uv_diff  TRANSFORM_TEX(INtexcoord1, _MainTex)
    4. #endif
    2. Create a copy of one of the Marmoset shaders, say Marmoset/Shader/Bumped Specular IBL
    3. Rename the file and shader name string inside the file.
    4. Add these two #defines to the list of MARMO_ features:
    Code (csharp):
    1. #define MARMO_PACKED_UV    //packs texcoord1 into texcoord0.zw
    2. #define MY_DIFF_FROM_UV1   //enables your code

6. Andre_Kats

Andre_Kats

Is it possible to use detail maps with the marmoset shaders?

7. wsz

wsz

monkeyscience likes this.
  8. sowatnow

sowatnow

Hi

Does this work with mesh baker and lod baker?

Thanks

9. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Good question. I've never tried it but I imagine it works fine unless Mesh Baker requires custom shaders or something. It seems to be a tool that combines meshes into big uber-meshes and shuffles around the vertex UV data, nothing that would prevent a Marmoset shader from being applied and running properly.

Note: Marmoset shaders use the primary UV set for all textures (diff, spec, bump, glow) and the secondary UV set to sample occlusion maps in Occlusion shaders. Hopefully Mesh Baker handles that.

10. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Currently no, there is no shader that samples tiled detail textures. I would recommend using Shader Forge to construct something custom-tailored for your needs.

11. hay78

hay78

hi

we're currently using marmoset skyshop for 3d building and seems like the static batching is not working. Anyone have experienced the issue and know the solution?

12. sowatnow

sowatnow

Hi monekyscience,

I tested skyshop with Meshbaker, and it seems to be not working when meshes are baked second time within a scene.
    Skyshop is creating a new instance of material on the source object, which mesh baker cannot recognize.
    Does skyshop is meant to create a new instances of a material for each object?

What is Skyshop accessing ? is it renderer.material or renderer.sharedMaterial?

Refer to comments from Phong regarding this error.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/mesh-baker-by-digital-opus-released.159258/page-17#post-1929648

13. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Have a question related to sky probes. It's kind of a weird scenario; sorry for the long-ish post here.

The short version: Is there a way to toggle a local sky on and off in realtime?

The detail on *why* if it's useful at all:

Most of the time in my game you're flying a space ship around in first person. To represent docking at a space station, I'm abstracting the docking process (mostly due to lack of art assets) by fading to black, making a room mesh visible, instantly moving to that position, then fading from black.

The cockpit and visible weapon barrels look weird in an interior like that, since they're getting IBL from the space cube maps and I have mostly colorful space skyboxes. So I figured that'd be a perfect use for a local sky with a trigger volume.

The unusual thing is that I want to toggle the room's visibility on and off and it's floating in an area where the player could move through when not docked. The idea is that you can look out a doorway and see space, planets, and even part of the space station, as if you're in the space station, even though you're really floating a bit outside of it. If my space stations had dock areas, I wouldn't have to fake it.

I can think of several workarounds that wouldn't be that bad, but it would be convenient if the global sky could be in effect everywhere most of the time, and a specific local sky toggled on the fly as needed. In a small test scene, I tried simply inactivating an interior "Sky" GameObject, but that had no effect. When an object moved through the trigger area, it still got the local sky.

14. ATMEthan

ATMEthan

Hi all,

This might have been asked already but I'm sorry I don't have the time to read 40+ pages in this forum.

On to my question.

Is it possible to have the Sky script only target certain gameobjects? And is it possible to have two Sky scripts in one scene? Essentially I want to have two different specular outputs that apply to different objects that are in the same scene. Is it possible?

From my messing around with this it is possible to have two sky scripts... I guess the question remains is how do I limit the sky scripts from affecting all objects? Or how do I get the sky scripts to only affect certain objects?

Thank you for the help. >.< I hope its possible
    -Ethan

15. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

You can add a "trigger" to each sky. When you hit the Add Trigger button in the Sky inspector, an orange cube will appear that you can position and size to define the area where that sky will be active. That feature was introduced in 1.07. I believe it's referred to sometimes as "sky probes."

EDIT: I guess I didn't really answer your question, sorry. :)

16. ATMEthan

ATMEthan

Thank you for your suggestion, I will look into that. Over lunch I think I had a eureka moment. I was digging into the marmoset shaders for a little bit and I noticed a bunch of define statements with the keyword 'SKY'. In theory, could I copy a marmoset shader and disable/comment out those defines? ...testing... I just went to test that theory and I believe its working in my test scene! If someone could confirm this that would be great!

EDIT: this video describes how to have multiple skybox and how to limit what they target(sky anchors)

thanks to the post below from monkeyscience!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  17. sebastiansgames

sebastiansgames

Hey just wondering if there are known issues with Skyshop's transparent shaders and Unity 5? I had them working fine in 4.6 but in 5 the only transparency I'm able to achieve is with Marmoset>Transparent>Bumped Diffuse IBL, Bumped Diffuse, Diffuse IBL. The rest of them, including all the mobile transparent shaders and the glass shaders don't drop their alpha according to color alpha as exhibited in the working ones.

Maybe something I'm doing wrong? Thank you!

(skyshop 1.11 and Unity 5.21 for mac -- developing iOS)

18. Almakos

Almakos

Same here. Batching doesn't seem to work

19. freeger

freeger

Hi guys, does anyone to know how to make following: We have non-marmoset shader with normal maps support by lightprobes (left character) and we have marmoset without this support (right picture). How to do that in marmoset shader (normal map is ON in marmoset shader but you dont see it)? Thank you
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy7fuibtgp3ft0p/fd4bae9ebf6b5f5dbaa1720da1057bae (1).jpg?dl=0

so need the same effect like here http://screenshot.su/show.php?img=a85da5111ccc16a0d3bfe7301cae6a78.jpg we have only lightprobe (no other lights) and need to see normal map on the model. Please help

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  20. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Regarding batching, instanced materials, and MeshBaker
    I wrote a detailed response to the MeshBaker thread. It also describes why batching is breaking for some people:

Skyshop does intentionally create new instances of materials if certain features (local skies & triggers) are used. This is because it needs to support two objects with the same material being able to exist in two different rooms with two different IBL cubemaps applied (along with other shader settings like blending and box projection being toggled differently). This instancing happens at run-time because objects often move from one room to another, requiring the material split.

It is the one short-coming of the trigger system I'm very unhappy with because it also breaks batching. I've tried hard to get MaterialPropertyBlocks working which should fix the need for instancing but found them missing something crucial (I think shader keywords are not stored?). In short: for lots of complicated annoying reasons, we're stuck with instanced materials for now.

If Skyshop is used without local skies, all objects are applied the same global sky across the scene and no instancing is required. You can even blend between global skies as the blending keyword is toggled globally, not per material.

21. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

You should be able to deactivate a sky in the hierarchy and it should also stop its trigger volume from applying to anything. If that's not the case, it's a bug and you should email support@marmoset.co.

The answer to your problem might just be to use a local sky inside the ship with either a trigger volume, or better yet anchor the interior geometry of your ship to that sky. This way you don't have to worry about your ship flying it's cockpit trigger through any other objects accidentally.

Here's one of the Skyshop 1.07 tutorial videos, at around 2:11 it covers the SkyAnchor component and how to use it to link geometry to custom skies:

22. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Yep :), attach a SkyAnchor script to your objects and link them to a specific sky. See the video above.

23. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

I ran into something similar and it had to do with U5 not handling all of the blending modes properly (glass is Blend One OneMinusSrcAlpha for example). It's been reported to Aras, maybe there's a new beta version with a fix out?

24. sowatnow

sowatnow

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like without batching, it won't be mobile friendly.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  25. Recon03

Recon03

Hi there, I read some where that Skyshop works well for mobile terrains.. I seen a tutorial for the PC one , is there anything special I should know?.

I normally make terrians for PC, console, I worked with mobile a lot, but , not much using terrain shaders for mobile, so starting to get into it. So I want to be sure I'm not going to do something that Skyshop may not be able to do. So any basic information would be great.

Now I work with shaders for mobile not terrain related and I understand all of that, so not sure if its any different with Skyshop. . I only used Skyshop a few times I normally use RTP for PC terrain.

26. Almakos

Almakos

I am not using mesh baker....
    and I am not using local skies and triggers...

If I just hit play directly while in the scene then batching is working
    If I run the game and load the same scene batching is off

might that be not Marmoset related?
    Thank you

27. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Thanks for the reply!

OK, I'll use that e-mail address. Deactivating the sky in the hierarchy didn't stop the trigger volume in either my small test project or in my game. That behavior is really all I want at this point, though the chances of a player flying through the trigger volume is small, so that part of it is pretty minor really.

It's actually working pretty well as is. The only issue is a batch of three error messages in Sky.cs can happen when loading a new scene about half the time. I'll put the detail in the e-mail. Those errors don't seem to have any effect other than pausing the game, since I use Error Pause. It's possible those errors are related to when the sky doesn't switch over correctly, which only happens rarely. When it does work, it does just what I want though.

The SkyAnchor thing is interesting, but I think my complex ship setup and multiple layered scenes thing might not be a great match for that. It was interesting seeing how that works from the video though; thanks for the link.

28. ATMEthan

ATMEthan

Hey Marmoset!

First off thank you for the sky anchor info! That is really useful and will be extremely helpful for me and my team!

Second, I am experiencing a lot of banding on my objects and I'm not certain how I can fix this. The worse banding I see is on objects that are using the Beta/Layered/Masked 2-Layer IBL shader but even objects that aren't using beta shaders I've noticed this problem. If you look at my image you'll notice on the hood where it is most shiny you'll really see the banding of the bright yellow to dark yellow. Do you have any thoughts or suggestion on how I can keep this banding to a minimal or completely eliminate it?

I should note the car isn't using any textures, only the skybox cubemap's texture is used here. Could it be that the banding is happening b/c of the skybox and not the shader/material?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  29. tripknotix

tripknotix

If i have 20 objects say for an indoor house, and they all use the same material, and i put sky anchors on all 20 and target the "kitchen" sky for example. does it use only 1 draw call for those 20, or does it use 20 draw calls?

30. tripknotix

tripknotix

I dont see error messages, but my skies do the exact same thing on mobile, infact sometimes even the first scene i load doesnt even have the skybox. its so strange because im using the exact same sky in all of the scenes, so why would the skybox not show for some scene but shows for others.

31. tripknotix

tripknotix

So i just ran the moped test scene in a brand new project on my mobile device, the sky doesnt show there either, did the skybox shader break on opengl es2 in the newest version?

I dont know which of my projects had the older version of skyshop, or the version before that, could you PM links to the 2 previous versions so i can test.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  32. jujunosuke

jujunosuke

Hey Thanks for making Skyshop its awesome!

I have one concern about lightmap baking.
    How can i bake the diffuse color of the Sky on my lightmaps?

Once i have baked the light, i would like to go back to a standard Mobile/Diffuse shader, however, the color information is not baked in so i lost all the blueish tint of my HDR sky...

Is there a way to handle this? I am using Unity Free.

33. jujunosuke

jujunosuke

Ok after switching to Unity Pro license, i was able to Bake my Lightmaps correctly with the IBL colors in it.
    So the response to the above question is, You need Unity Pro.

hopeful likes this.
  34. donzen

donzen

Hi,

the video shows how to blend between a local and the global sky.
    Is possible to blend between 2 local cubemaps and control the blend time with coding, for example using an in game GUI slider?

For example an indoor environment with 3 different local reflections with 2 different illumination states each.

Thanks in advance for a reply.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  35. rl88

rl88

Hi, I have a problem with rendering to texture. I'm trying to make functionality that swap 3d trees to billboards after reaching some distance and still I'm having problem with alpha. I'm not so into shaders but I've never had problems with rendering to texture with alpha before. Please see attached image. In left part you can see just a 3d tree, in the middle billboard with Unlit/Texture (here tree has quite correct colors but render doesn't contain transparent background) and at the right the same billboard but with another shader Unlit/Premultiplied color it then has normal transparent background but tree looks very weird - it's white and transparent. For comparison there is also a cube with shader Unlit/Texture that looks just normally at every part of the image. So I guess that there is something wrong in shaders for tree that causes this issue. I'm using Marmoset/Nature/TreeCreator Leaves and Barks tried to use Fast,FastOptimized,Optimized and RenderTex - all of them doesn't seem to help.

Attached Files:

• seq.png
      seq.png
      File size:
      414.3 KB
      Views:
  36. Recon03

Recon03

I guess no reply???

37. tripknotix

tripknotix

you know what would be great, if i could fill in a sky in a slot in the shader, i know thats not ideal, but it would make it easy for me to set 1 set of materials for indoor objects, and another for outdoor, for example, i cant see a situation where i would want to put a sink outside, and i couldnt see a situation where i would want to put a fire hydrant indoors. same goes for most indoor items, and most outdoor items, with only architecture needing to share batches. If the shaders can generate the diffuse from the specular sky anyway, then being able to put a specular sky into a slot would be an instant win.

Please let me know if this is something you could add, or atleast point me in the right direction to hack my way into making this possible.

I dont mind double draw calls, i just cant deal with 100's of draw calls

38. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Interesting, I'll try to reproduce this. Batching is so finiky >_<. Is this on a mobile device or even just PC/Desktop?

39. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

This could be one of two things: either the sky is banded or your normalmap itself banded. Normalmap banding is a typical problem with cars that have smooth gradual slopes that tend to stair-step with 8-bit textures.

If you don't have a normalmap or even a reflective plane renders banded, the fault lies in the reflection cubemap. Make sure your cubemap asset does not have the "Linear" checkbox checked.

You should also run the skybox cube through the whole Skyshop process and generate a proper specular cube from it. Skyboxes don't have mipmaps but specular cubemaps do, and those mipmaps need to be generated by Skyshop if the cubemap is RGBM-encoded. It could be that Unity is auto-generating the mips and screwing up the alpha channel of the RGBM data. This will cause loads of banding.

40. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

that is a good question, I would have to try it out to see. Previously I would have said "as long as you're not sky-triggering stuff it's 1 call" but recent evidence has cast doubt on that answer (see above).

41. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Yes, it is possible. The SkyManager object in your scene has fields for "Local Sky Blend Time" and "Global Sky Blend Time" which modify this delay globally. The SkyAnchor component (which every dynamic object in your scene will have after Start()) has a public member variable called BlendTime that you can set to override the SkyManager's default value.

Script and slider away! :)

42. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

This is a tricky one. I am not very familiar with the nuances of Unity's tree billboard baker but from your screenshot, I would guess you're trying to output premultiplied alpha textures but for some reason the alpha channel of your tree billboard is not being written. The result is a black alpha channel causing the pre-multiplied alpha blend mode to treat every tree texel as additively blended (if that makes sense). I'd start debugging this by seeing what exactly your alpha channel ends up as.

43. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Hi,

Is skyshop IBL more advanced than unity 5 default IBL?

44. Almakos

Almakos

on mobile seems to work, but described above phenomena is happening in the editor

I've got latest Unity beta featuring Metal on iOS
    Marmoset totally doesn't support that as I understand.
    Any estimate date for this?
    As I am quite excited to get at least a bit of performance gain on the iPhone
    Thanks

45. VertexZero

VertexZero

Hi,
    Presently at the studio we are experiencing a small issue, We are presently using Unity 5 and skyshop latest version 1.07
    In a nutshell, our problem is that while using volumes, once a character enters into the volume its swir=tches back to the global illumination.
    Thanks in advance.

46. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

I love to use skyshop,only waiting good glass shader which have refraction also.

47. freeger

freeger

Hi guys, sent questions to your support, but didn't received feedback:

1) We have 2 scenes with one marmoset shader
    if you look at this image http://prntscr.com/661ysl
    on the left you will see wrong reflection shapes, they have sharp borders

on the right another scene with smoothed borders
    all parameters of shader are the same, only different skyboxes

marmoset ver. 1.07
    this bug you can see in editor constantly, but in webplayer version it happens sometimes (refresh helped)

2) triggers are not works on skyboxes, objects are not reacts on them and continue to reflect global skybox instead of local

so for example 2 spheres http://screenshot.su/show.php?img=db8529ed09cfcf647df6e8125ced31ed.jpg

i added trigger to the left sphere http://screenshot.su/show.php?img=e21f92ee5d58cb1455965ee211566b9d.jpg
    left sphere should to reflect local skybox but as you see it's global skybox

here is how it should looks http://screenshot.su/show.php?img=2b977a8aa1f92445432ba7ad980a92e9.jpg I added manually this local skybox, so left sphere should be like this in trigger

any ideas?

48. mozi_ru

mozi_ru

Hey, is there any progress on SpeedTree compatibility?

49. o1o101

o1o101

I have a problem, First, when i use the mobile terrain shader it ignores the base diffuse map, the normal works, but not the base diffuse, and then once i build it for android the terrain goes to like blue and green colors(not the splat), and on the s3 it doesnt work whatsoever!! Is there a fix to this now ? Any help?!

Thanks

50. Dalmar

Dalmar

Hi,
    I need help with something.

First: I read here and saw that someone asked about the time to blend local skies it helped me, but...
    I need to know how to blend local skies, I know that with global I can use the "skyswab.cs" but I do not know how to do it with local skies. The sky swab works with local skies too? If yes.. how?

Second: Can you tell me more about the script "blendlist" I can create a blend list, but .. it works with local skies? And how can I use it to blend?

Third: I have a game object that wont move in my scene, the game object has a skyanchor.cs and target sky to "sky1", how can I change the target to "sky2" by code?

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.