Search Unity

Marmoset Skyshop - Image-Based Lighting Tools [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by monkeyscience, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaz2057

kaz2057

Thanks for the info.

However anybody found any issue with opengl ES 3.0 and skyshop mobile shaders?

Thanks,

2. kaz2057

kaz2057

Ok, I tested with Opengl ES 2.0 and shaders works fine.

Marmoset can you check please opengl ES 3.0 compatibility? :)

3. Prependicular

Prependicular

In this conversation, i want to raise the issue of memory because of Marmoset. While using the Marmoset shader the memory usage is quite high as compare to without using it.

Here is the difference between memory consumption.

( Using Marmoset )

( No Marmoset )

In my project i used the given Marmoset shader ( Marmoset/Mobile/Bumped Specular IBL ) , on my character and when i checked the size its around 113 MB, and when i used without marmoset shader the size reduced to 36 MB.

Its a bigger issue as memory consumption with marmoset is quite high.

Please give the positive response ASAP.

Thanks

4. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

I hope you realize your screenshots dont work.

5. kokichi88

kokichi88

6. tripknotix

tripknotix

Heya Prependicular did you try resizing your cubemap down? Unity 4 does not compress CubeMaps, only unity 5 does.

7. 2dchaos

2dchaos

Hey, does Skyshop plays along with Unistorm? ;]

8. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Do you have video tutorials on how to use your asset within a other scene? Iam using PolyWorld and want to use Marmoset with it? But How? I don't understand the written tutorials

9. Prependicular

Prependicular

hi kurylo3d,
    yeah, i realised that screenshot not working, but its just an image where i was just showing that marmoset taking 113 MB of memory and without marmoset its 36 MB

10. Prependicular

Prependicular

Hi tripknotix,
    My cubemaps are taking 7 MB, event i tried to resizing the cubemap down, but still it does not reduce the memory size much.

11. lobachevscki

lobachevscki

Hi, I have a problem with the terrain shader.

I'm not able to find the Import Splatmap window. I'm using Skyshop 1.7, I have created and sculpted the terrain, added some textures, but the example splatmap doesn't seem to work. I tried to follow Shyshop's terrain tutorial, but I don't find the Import Splatmap window shown in the video.

The Script is there, but I have no idea why i'm not seeing anything.

Thanks

12. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Someone gave me a very simple fix for GL ES 3.0 shaders, all the shader #pragma only_renderers lines are missing gles3, I didn't know Unity added that parameter. I'll be fixing it in the next release, you can either add it to any shaders you like or force your project to render with OpenGL ES 2.0. Nothing Skyshop does should require or be incompatible with ES 3.

13. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

So when you leave your app running, the memory footprint grows and grows and grows, faster than garbage collection can clear it?

Could you tell me if NGUI uses Renderers in the scene (like a lot of them)? And do any NGUI objects get SkyAnchor components added to them at runtime? That is the only reason I can think of for mass memory consumption with another Unity asset/system is running.

While I don't quite understand your screenshots, I can tell you Skyshop on it's own does not leak memory, but it does churn memory when Auto-Apply features are enabled (allocates and deallocates every frame to perform scenegraph searches for sky triggers and dynamic GameObjects mainly). This churn got greatly reduced in the last two versions so make sure you are up to date.

14. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Not as you would hope it to. Skyshop cannot render or process skies at runtime. There's a post about this earlier in the thread with some clever alternative solutions as well.

15. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Here's our Youtube channel of tutorial videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGF3H3--dgDhX-ABS9rxwXQ1Dfty6f_nX

Setting up existing scenes with Skyshop is not hard, follow the intro tutorial and make sure all your materials use Marmoset shaders.

Setting up third-party shaders and rendering systems to work with Skyshop can be trickier. Basically anything that requires custom shaders (Alloy, PolyWorld, etc) will require integration of Marmoset shader code into the custom shaders. We've done this with a few assets (including Alloy) but it involves custom engineering work/help on my part.

PolyWorld had their own simple IBL solution I heard.

16. zyzyx

zyzyx

Hi monkeyscience,

so I've been trying to convert an older project to recent skyshop and unity versions. There is one mesh (static) and a camera in the scene (it is an AR setup using Vuforia). The mesh has ~13,5k tris and 6 materials: 1x "/mobile/transparent/simple glass" and 5x "/mobile/vertex occlusion/specular IBL" (no textures).

Now the old project (skyshop 1.06.2) runs on an iPad 3 with constant 30fps but the converted one barely reaches 10fps.
    I tried switching shaders to "/Mobile/Occlusion/Specular IBL Fast" and "Mobile/Specular IBL Fast" which did improve performance slightly (12fps).
    I tried using only one opaque and one transparent material but that didn't help either (still below 14fps).
    I don't use auto apply of the sky or sky rotation.

I don't understand what could have changed the performance so drastically since the old versions, any idea?

Thank you!

EDIT: Also happens on iPad4. For some reason I can't get reasonable framerates with Vuforia and Skyshop even with the IBL Fast shaders.

EDIT1: I downgraded Skyshop to 1.06.2 and got slightly better results (15-20fps iPad3 and ~28fps on iPad4).

EDIT2: Quick question: are the mobile vertex occlusion shaders faster than the regular mobile occlusion shaders?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  17. 2dchaos

2dchaos

Thanks for the answer, could you point me to the page? ;] I've tried many search words but nothing came ~_~

18. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Here is the power of Skyshop unleashed! In this screenshot, I am using the Alloy shaders and an HDR map that I downloaded. With no lights on, and diffuse intensity set to 0, you can get very natural lighting in the environment. Enjoy. Screenshot-2014-10-14-23.40.jpg

19. Pix10

Pix10

We're having the same issue at the moment.

The previous working setup was Unity 4.2.2.. i don't know what our previous Skyshop was, it was last updated perhaps 2 months ago.

Now however under Unity 4.5.5 and Skyshop 1.10.1 (and XCode 6.0.1) we get:

iPhone 6, iPad Mini Retina: Shaders work
    iPhone 5, iPad Air, iPhone 4S: Shaders don't work

We've tried forcing ES 2.0, but it doesn't change anything. I'm currently doing a clean get on another mac to ensure there's no dirty data, but I won't know for a while (3 hours in and still importing lightmaps...sigh).

Edit: Nope, no difference. There are no errors or warnings; all materials are black. Though trying different shaders, Marmoset/Transparent/Simple Glass/Bumped Specular Glow works (sans env mapping)...so perhaps the issue is in processing the environment/Sky?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  20. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey Monkeyscience, I have a feature request for the next version of Skyshop. Would it be possible to allow us to drag the Light Icon in the skyshop menu when we are moving lights... lets say I want to fix the sky cubemap and move the light (it has to be selected) but I don't want to have to jump back to the inspector. I want to be able to click the light icon and drag it to the spot I want and the light in the scene will automatically adjust. I think that would be awesome and much faster.

21. Pix10

Pix10

I started up a clean project last night, and found that none of the Marmoset/ shaders are picking up the Sky on the mentioned devices with the latest version (including Mobile/ variants). The Moped sample scene is all dark except for a lit blue diffuse component on the moped's body.

The Examples ShaderForge Demo shaders do work on all devices however.

Reverting to a previous Skyshop archive (last one I have to hand is 1.05), everything works as expected (and the Moped sample scene appears as expected on all devices); so it appears perhaps the latest version is the problem?

Is nobody else having the same issues?

22. Ony

Ony

I've been thinking about Skyshop for a while now and since it's on sale today, I might grab it. I have a question before I jump in though... right now I'm working on a game that mainly takes place inside a space ship (and space stations). Later on there will be outdoor planet exploration, which I know Skyshop will be good for, but I'm wondering if it's worth using for indoor environments.

If anyone has good experience or examples of Skyshop being used for purely indoor environments, I'd love to see it so I can decide if it's something to get right now, or wait until I need it for the outdoor sections.

EDIT: Well it looks like I'm going to pass this up until next time. The sale is only for a few more hours and I'm going to bed. I scoured as much of the 43 pages of this thread as I could, searched the web, etc. but I was really hoping to get some solid info about how indoor scenes work with the latest version before I bought it. :(

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  23. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Why not look at the tutorial videos ? He has good examples of how you would do that.

24. Ony

Ony

There are two tutorials on the Skyshop web site, neither of them videos. One is a quick rundown of getting Skyshop into Unity, and the other is about the skin shader.

A Google search for Marmoset Skyshop tutorials brings up a list of video tutorials, and after skimming through them not a single one appears to have anything to do with purely indoor environments, which is what my question is about.

Is there some secret stash of video tutorials you know about?

25. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Setting interiors for skyshop can be a challenge but it is not impossible. Before you set up your reflection probes, you have to make sure that you have your textures set up the way you wants and bake light maps. Then create the probes in the areas you need them in. You may have to hide objects to get the reflections positioned correctly.

Ony likes this.
  26. Ony

Ony

Ok yes that helps, thank you. I saw something about that back further in the thread but it was about an older version and I wasn't sure if it still applied to the latest.

27. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Try that video. Watch the whole thing. You can set distance for the room in which the skybox takes effect and they blend between one another. You can even set them to box projected to keep the reflection accurate position wise.

28. Ony

Ony

I watched it and I don't see any pure indoor environments in it. I see things lit by regular sky, which I already know Skyshop is good for. I don't have a sky in my environment. It's totally indoors. With artificial lighting. No sky. My question was whether Skyshop would be useful in any way for that type of environment. As far as the video shows, it might be good for rendering cube maps, but I already have a cube map renderer that works fine.

I was asking to see specific examples of purely indoor use of Skyshop to determine if I should purchase it while it was on sale. No one had any examples, so I didn't purchase it. Down the road, when I get to the outdoor scenery, sure. Right now, it's not what I'm looking for.

29. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Apparently your not understanding... cube maps that are box projected match an indoor room perfectly. When you use methods like these(This includes unity5) you set every room up with cubemaps or location with cubemaps... box projected is to match the walls perfectly so that it distorts based on your cameras position sort of. Point is thats how you do indoors like this. Cubemaps are not just for sky boxes... they are made per room. Maybe you need to research the concept a little more. That video alone shows a 2nd floor cube map, a first floor cubemap.. an exterior cubemap..

30. Ony

Ony

I use cube maps all over the place in my levels, and they are set up for each section of the level they need to be set up in. I know what cubemaps are and how they work. I'm not looking for an explanation of cube maps. Also, I get that Skyshop does box projected cube maps, but for what I'm working on the difference isn't that big of a deal.

I was asking to see if anyone had specific examples they could show that use Skyshop in a strictly indoor environment. As in... Skyshop comes with a set of shaders that are made to work with it nicely, and they look fantastic in outdoor environments with panoramic HDR imaging for the lighting. How do they look in an indoor environment where the lighting is generated NOT from outside HDR imagery but from my level itself? Will it make a big difference beyond what I can achieve with other shader\lighting systems, or is Skyshop primarly designed for outdoor environments and won't do much for indoor?

If Skyshop for indoor areas is really only useful for generating cube maps, then as I stated above, I already have that covered, even if Skyshop does it differently.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  31. ThunderTruck

ThunderTruck

@Ony
    Look this:
    presented at GDC 2014

2dchaos and Ony like this.
  32. Ony

Ony

Just watched that about ten minutes ago, ThunderTruck, thanks. That's pretty much what I was looking for. Indoor areas and the difference (by toggling box projection, etc.) between Skyshop and other methods. If I had seen that last night I would have purchased.

33. ThunderTruck

ThunderTruck

Anyway...
    You can try:
    Lux-an-open-source-physically-based-shading-framework

forum thread:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/lux-an-open-source-physically-based-shading-framework.235027/

Ony likes this.
  34. Ony

Ony

Yup, already using LUX for some stuff but I hadn't messed with box projection mapping with it yet. Thanks for the videos! :)

Anyway, since this is a Skyshop thread and not a Lux thread, I'll probably get Skyshop at some point in the near future.

35. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Skyshop does more then generate cubemaps. It handles roughness levels on the texture map so the cubemaps blur and distort based on reflection and roughness. Plus the cubemaps blend from one to another so its not an instant switch. I have yet to see one on the asset store that does that. You can even choose the area effected by the cubemap and where it starts to blend to another. And obviously it doesn't just do reflection it also lights the thing with a blurred version of the cubemap which gives it an ambience i guess you could call it. Like light bouncing from all directions.

2dchaos likes this.
  36. Adions

Adions

Is there a way to Import an external baked lightmap in a skyshop shader? I didn't find anything about this on the net. I don't like to bake the light in unity.

KRGraphics likes this.
  37. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Really, it is pretty easy to set up with beast.

38. Adions

Adions

So, it is not possible to import my external baked lightmap in skyshop? Is it the only way to bake the light in unity?

39. Adions

Adions

What is the common way of light baking for skyshop?

40. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Thanks for this level of control with the Fast Skin shader.... I have no idea what I am doing in Unity (don't even know how to get the proper eye transparency yet LOL....), but my Skyshop purchase this week was worth it.

I hunted online, but mostly saw examples of the trademark shiny floors and metal balls, so I was hesitating to buy - I have some other lightprobe shaders that I couldn't really figure out, probably because I was lacking your panorama tools.... I honestly didn't know a game engine could look like this.

No idea if it will be practical to try to have this quality in a final game, but I'm just blown away. THANK YOU!

2dchaos likes this.
  41. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

You create your cubemap and click Use As GI

42. macdude2

macdude2

So, I'm curious, in a portal-esque environment where all the walls are orthogonal, would it be possible to have a real time render texture from the camera project onto the walls? Could this realtime rendering then be substituted for cube map probes? Unsure if this would look the way I'd expect it though.

43. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Progress...

The difference between hdr and a regular panorama is night and day.... Couldn't get the eye transparency down until I used an hdr, and that amped up the skin settings too.

I guess I need to start investing in hdr. LOL

2dchaos likes this.
  44. Reyes-CJ

Reyes-CJ

Hi MonkeyScience,

i have bought skyshop and playing around with it...its a great and amazing tool but i have found a small issue, in the example CubeProbeDemo scene, i added the "Blend List" script to blend between few sky object (castle, austria, forest, pisa) and i find out that the sphere as shown in the red rectangle in the image below doesnt reflect to the sky object accordingly (as you can see global sky already change to forest but it still showing the castle reflection).

Is it i doing anything wrong that cause below result?
    i am using Unity version 4.5.4f1.

skyshop.png

Attached Files:

45. hypnoticshark

hypnoticshark

Capture.JPG Hello,

We are experiencing an issue while generating the specular cubemap. The first mipmap always looks very different from subsequent mips. The subsequent mips seem to get lighter and lose contrast for some reason. I am not sure if the issue is with the first mip or the subsequent mips. Below are the steps as to how I came across the issue.

- Created a new project in unity 4.5.3f3
    - imported skyshop package
    - Created a new scene and placed a plane, a directional light and a bunch of point lights. Set everything to static and - --- baked single lightmaps.
    - Created a sky manager and a sky object
    - Clicked on new under the specular output in the sky object.
    - created a new 256x256 cube map.
    - Checked off HDR (problem still exists if hdr is on)
    - and clicked on probe direct.

Notice in the screenshot how the first mip has different contrast. This is not the case with the cubemaps that come as examples. If I regenerate the example cubemaps the issue shows up there as well where the first mip and subsequent mips are inconsistent. Do you know what could be causing this?

Thanks.

46. Elowan

Elowan

hello,

I run into some kind of problem with the Marmoset terrain shader.

There is a slider for the "detail weight" setting - but when you put two or more terrains side-by-side and want to
    set the excact same value for the "detail weight" - it´s kind of hard and no excact to eyeball it with a slider.

Could you guys just implement a textfield to punch in some values in addition to the slider, please?

Would help a lot, I think!

And can you give a heads-up, how Skyshop will lookk like, when Unity5 hits the scene?
    Like PBR support and such?

Kind Regards

47. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

I'm interested in knowing what Marmoset's plans are for Skyshop in Unity 5 as well. Despite there being a lot of duplicated functionality in Unity 5, I think the ease of use and flexibility of Skyshop could still be a lot of help. I love the skybox interpolation, for sure.

KRGraphics likes this.
  48. hypnoticshark

hypnoticshark

I tried redownloading and reimporting marmoset. Also tried reinstalling unity, but still experiencing the issue where the first mip is inconsistent with the subsequent mips

49. hypnoticshark

hypnoticshark

so switching from gamma space to linear space fixes the issue. But our game is going to be on mobile and we cannot afford to change to linear space. Is there a way to generate these cubemaps while in gamma space?

Linear Space.JPG

Edit:
    I just read trough the faq and it says
    "
    9) My materials and skybox look washed-out and too bright. What’s wrong?
    This is most likely a color space issue. Skyshop defaults to ‘Linear’ color space. Be sure your colors space settings on your Skyshop “Sky Object” match your Unity project colorspace settings. Also, mobile platforms do not support linear color space, so if targeting mobile platforms, be sure you set your color space settings to ‘Gamma’.
    "

There is no such setting exposed by default on the sky object. (this is the game object that is created when you go GameObject>Create Other>Skyshop Sky right?). There is a setting that is exposed under debug and linear space is disabled.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  50. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

ok, getting my head around all these custom maps...

Someone in this thread mentioned the Quixel dDO plugin for Photoshop.... Has anyone here tried it with the Skyshop shaders? I'm assuming there would be common ground with the other Marmoset (Tool2) shaders.... Or anyway, not so difficult to output the info I need in the proper channels, currently it's a bit of a head chore... Anyone familiar with this?

I'm actually on a Mac, so if there is something similar for osX that would be great to hear, too! Do you think it's worth the extra effort on my part to get Ps running on an older PC? Thanks! I know it's a bit offtopic but this is where I first heard about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.