Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MapNav - Geolocation Toolkit [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by 8volution, Jan 18, 2014.

?

Which of these two possible usages of MapNav you find more useful/interesting?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2014.
  1. Develop GPS, map-based game/app where a map is visible to end-user in order to overlay Unity content

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Create Parallel World game/app with custom scenery/content that can be navigated via GPS (no map)

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. ctknoxville

ctknoxville

Was considering purchasing this asset. Is it still working?

2. ctknoxville

ctknoxville

3. 8volution

8volution

Hi DMeville,

What version of Unity are you currently using? I would need some more info about your current settings in order to know what the possible causes might be. If you could send us some screenshots to support@recursivearts.com that would be really helpful.

Thank you.

4. 8volution

8volution

Hello ctknoxville,

MapNav 1.3.3.1 is currently up and running without issues on Unity 4.X.
    If you are planning to use Unity 5, a new compatible MapNav version should be available by the end of next week.
    Please contact support@recursivearts.com if you need further support using your asset, and I will be happy to help.

Thanks!

5. 8volution

8volution

MapNav 1.3.4 has now been officially released, including Unity 5 support.
    http://u3d.as/5Xs
    Thanks everyone!

6. agorton

agorton

Hi, Love this asset and making very good use of it, but I am having a problem that I'm hoping you can help with.

I put my laptop into sleep and came back to work on the project again, but now the adjacent tiles aren't loading when I move outside the bounding box. I've tried reloading Unity, but that doesn't help. If I create a new scene, that works fine.

What should I look for to trigger adjacent tile loading when moving outside the bounding box?

Thanks!

7. ali_farooq

ali_farooq

Hello 8volution,
    When i am using mapquest i am getting the map but when i made changes to scripts for using google maps i am getting the error(Bad request error 400).
    I created the new api key from Google API Console and edited to mapnav.cs script (App key field). Made changes in scripts by this site http://recursivearts.com/mapnav/faq.html for google maps. But now i am stuck and don't know what to do.
    Does anything has to do with SHA1 fingerprint which i get from eclipse build android (while creating api key).

8. MTA

MTA

I am also having the same problem 400 error when i use google maps

9. 8volution

8volution

Hi ali_Farooq and MTA,

Please make sure you have activated the Static Maps Service in the Google Developer Console, as this is the most frequent reason for that error. Details about API keys and so on can be found here, although it looks like Google has recently made some changes to the Developer Consoler.

This is what you should be looking for (see screenshot):

Hope it helps.

10. twobob

twobob

2, without question.

11. agorton

agorton

Is there any way to change the scaling to 1:1 instead of 1:100? I need MapNav to play nice with a terrain builder that produces content at 1:1.

Tinkertailor9 likes this.
  12. Jay-Santos

Jay-Santos

Unity Technologies

Hey 8volution how are you?

I've been using mapnav for a project of mine and it's been working fine, with one exception.

I am using styled maps and those work on the Editor, Web and Android devices.

However they do not work on iOS at all. XCode Console gives me a "Map Error:unsupported URL" message.

I have enabled an API key so I believe I'm good on that.

I'll send you a PM with the URL so you can check it out.

Thanks!

13. Jay-Santos

Jay-Santos

Unity Technologies

Hey guys,

So, I've found an issue with the plugin...

My game would crash on an iPhone 5 after about 15 minutes. I've noticed that everytime I did a new map request a Texture would be created consuming memory.

Since I did some tinkering with MapNav.cs I tought it could be something I did...

However, I took the MapNav_2D_Demo scene and did one small change, in order to allow testing with the emulator on the iOS, what I did was simply add

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (Input.touchCount == 1)
    2. {
    3.      user.transform.Translate(Vector3.forward*speed*Time.deltaTime);
    4. }
    At the bottom of the Update() function within MapNav.cs so the default cursor would move forward and the map would be updated on iOS.

And the same thing happened: Whenever the map was updated, a Texture2D would be allocated and memory consumption would go up, eventually crashing the game...

Any fixes/suggestions for this?

Thanks in advance!

14. TinyDev

TinyDev

I have the same question. Any guidance on this?

Thanks,
    Anna

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  15. TinyDev

TinyDev

Is this product still supported here? Is there a better place to get support? Several weeks have passed w/o update.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi 8volution,

Is this plugin support Google Direction / Navigation or similar feature ?

17. TinyDev

TinyDev

No response from 8volution since April...long sabbatical or this product is not longer supported I am guessing.
    We were working on a solution for this ourselves before we found MapNav and just figured what the heck...but if it's no longer supported we will probably finish our asset this summer as a replacement.

mimminito likes this.
  18. 8volution

8volution

Sorry guys for the late response.
    I am currently working on a solution to the scaling issue that should allow for further customisation of your projects.

Google Directions is already working with MapNav and will be included in the next update release. If you need this functionality now, just send me a PM with your invoice number and I will be happy to send you a copy of the script.

For specific support queries please contact support@recursivearts.com

Many thanks.

19. Emysa341

Emysa341

How can I drop markers in mapnav ? Actually i want to draw a 3d bar on marker but I don't know how to drop marker on certain latitude and longitude. thanks

20. 8volution

8volution

Hi Emysa341,

You can use any object/model (including your 3d bar) as a marker by simply attaching the SetGeolocation.cs script to it and providing a valid latitude and longitude coordinates in the inspector. You can find further details in the MapNav Operation Manual.
    I hope it helps.

21. amchimcha

amchimcha

hi ,i have a question , i need put the map in a specific frame , like a mini map in the screen, or like a texture in a specific plane because i need to use it in a AR apps. how can i do this with mapnav ?

22. testitestissimus

testitestissimus

23. kownjaehyun

kownjaehyun

does Map Nav has Korea map information for example north korea??
    and does it Navigation system work in Korea map??

24. eShineMacromedia

eShineMacromedia

Hi, 8volution,
    I already bought this asset,
    but I realized it's not what I expected

I'm looking for the asset to use iOS/android SDK from Google Map
    not just using static map api

Because Google static map API "COSTS" by the amount you use, it's a big problem for our budget!

but however, Mobile SDK are totally free!

Have you ever consider supporting Google native Mobile SDK in the MapNav ??
    If not can I ask for refund??

Thanks!

25. 8volution

8volution

Hi eShineMacrome,

Thanks very much for your feedback.

How many users/map queries are you expecting to have for your app/game? Google Static Maps is free unless you exceed 25 000 Static Maps image requests or more each day, for more than 90 consecutive days.

I will definitely take a look at Google native SDK though, as a possible alternative in case in can be implemented in Unity (technically and terms-wise speaking). Will keep you posted about this.

26. 8volution

8volution

The GPS navigation system should indeed work in north korea. Availability and quality of maps depends on the selected maps provider. You can always check google maps on your web-browser and make sure your desired area is sufficiently covered; MapNav will use the same imagery database.

27. 8volution

8volution

Hi Testitestissimus,

I am quoting the MapNav manual for this:

"if you would like to use maps from another tiles provider (e.g. Google Static Maps) you can easily do so by modifying the corresponding url for the http call in the mapnav.cs script. The new url should be compatible with the MapNav geolocation engine as long as it uses the center (lat,lon), size (e.g. 640X640) and zoom syntax to retrieve images from a map tiles server."

In your example you actually have latitude, longitude, and zoom variables although it doesn't return a fixed-size image but a number of tiles covering the web-browser window, which is a really interesting thing indeed, although you might have to make some actual tests in Unity to check if it works.

28. norathem

norathem

I'm currently trying to achieve the following but struggle to make it work so some advice would be appreciated :)

I want to Show a custom made map to the user. The map should fill the Screen and should not be able to be pinched or zoomed. I got the map to work (get/set Locations) - so my Location is shown correctly. However when the map starts it Centers on the users current Position. Thats bad especially when the user is currently in the wrong Location (not on the map area) because my map issn't shown then. As said I want my map to always be on Screen. If the users not somewhere in it he shouln't be shown.

I tried a lot to fix my Problem. Set AutoCenter to false, commented out all the lines that i felt where responsible for updating the map/ moving the camera. But it didn't Change anything

29. BlackAvenger

BlackAvenger

Hello there guys,
    Im developing an app wich will open the camera and I want some POIs to show on screen, the POIs will be preloaded by me in certain location in the world. Is this possible with this plugin? Thank you very much!

30. barryzundel

barryzundel

I am using MapNav now, and I have a few questions:
    • One of the biggest issues that I have with this plugin is the necessity to click on a load button (the arrow) once I reach the end of a tile. Is there a way to get rid of that or is it a limitation of the plugin or of Google Static Maps? We need a solution like google maps that seamlessly scrolls in any direction without the need to manually load another map tile.
    • Do I need to modify the code in the MapNav.cs script to pan and zoom faster? The zooming is incredibly slow, and the panning doesn't keep up with the user's finger.
    • In the "FixQuadAspect" script, I'm noticing that when the app initializes, the quads that it is attached to scale down significantly from their original size. They behave correctly while the app is running, but they are ~1/2 the scale they should be. Is there a reason for this?
    Thank you for your help.

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

• Is it possible to dynamically create/delete GameObjects based upon tile loading and unloading? I read all the docs and forum and do not see a discussion of how this should be done. Prefabs may exist for different type of objects, but a database of locations and there object specifics will be queried to get objects close to current map location.
    • Is it possible to have the MapNav put the map image texture on a 3d mesh instead of a plane? This way in 3d we see elevation so that mountains, etc show properly?

32. gibmation

gibmation

I am considering purchasing but currently support seems non existent.
    A bit worried in getting this and staying stuck on an issue.
    Is support still around?
    Thanks
    G.

33. gibmation

gibmation

Guess not :-(

34. angelsm85

angelsm85

Please, I need help. How can I use a maps provider other than MapQuest? I need to use MAPBOX provider.
    Thanks!

35. Surfninja

Surfninja

Is it possible to simulate Inputing UTM Coordinates instead of Lat Long in the standalone PC version of the Toolkit? I would like to simulate UTM GPS grid coordinates...

36. angelsm85

angelsm85

I configure the "Near" data of "clipping planes" variable of the Main Camera as 0.01 but when I play Unity this valor changes to 0.3. Can anyone help me?

37. Tinkertailor9

Tinkertailor9

Hello 8volution. Is there any way to change the scaling to 1:1 instead of 1:100? Thanks

38. MobinYaqoob

MobinYaqoob

39. gringofxs

gringofxs

It is possible to see the maps when press play in Unity?

40. crag

crag

if you are connected to the internet, his demos load mapquest maps. you will see the references in the mapnav component. you will need a key to use Google maps. I can confirm that those work great as well.

41. King_Arsl

King_Arsl

can anybody please tell me how can i add a custom pointer on the map, besides the user pointer and get the directions from our current location to that custom pointer. This is my first experience with gps and map based applications

42. caesarpena

caesarpena

Hi 8Evolution, i want to get this asset but i dont find enough support or documentation, support@recursivearts.com is not replying emails either.... :(

43. fishbrainz

fishbrainz

Is support still offered for this plugin?

44. maglat

maglat

Are there any further updates planed? Like faster loading maps. Right now it is just one single (heavy) image which is loaded. I think the best way would be to split it in many little pieces which should help increasing the loading times.

Further more I recognized the positioning get lost when I drive at a high speed (by car) and reach the edge of the map. At this point the app should load the new map image, but in case its not fast enough loading it and in the meanwhile I reach the edge again, the whole update process get out of sync and stops. Pls. improve in this case.

Many thanks

45. Deathsummer

Deathsummer

I am also having the same problem 400 error when i use google maps

46. paramlabs

paramlabs

Hi, we are about to purchase your MapNav unity asset but before buying we have following questions.

1. Does it support Unity 5.4? We are using 5.4.0f3 version.
    2. We want to display multiple geolocations on the map instead of only one. This is in addition to the player current location. Is it possible to show multiple locations on map?

Requesting you to please confirm soon so that we can purchase the same today.

Thanks a lot

47. mortenhansen

mortenhansen

Got this a couple of months ago and it does work fine but it seems like support was already non existent at the time. Wish I had read this forum before spending my money. I guess, I just presumed that there would be support when you pay 55$ for an asset.
    (a small note in unity asset store about this would have been nice though)

48. ballboy_gray

ballboy_gray

I'm just about to click purchase but I wonder if anyone can confirm whether I can use a local copy of a map on the device as I am intending to use it for a specific area of just a few street blocks so won't need to keep updating maps from the internet and would also like to use my own hand drawn maps - could someone please confirm whether this is possible or not. I also wonder how easy it is to add audio triggers, is it just a matter of dropping in a collider into the scene?
    Thanks in advance for replies

49. ballboy_gray

ballboy_gray

I took the plunge - looks like it does what I need. Ps, if anyone is having an issue with 403 errors trying to use google maps, the path given in the FAQ is now incorrect - you need to change url= "http://maps.google.com/maps... to
    url= "http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/... (This drove me crazy for about an hour) and [index] should be [indexType] which needs to be changed before the cs even compiles.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  50. 8volution

8volution

Some users are reporting an issue with Location Services in Unity 5.5.0f3 which causes app crashes on Android devices (this forum thread describes the issue further).

The following Unity patch should now fix it: Unity 5.5.1p4