Search Unity

Making POS in unity

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Jeric, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Jeric

Jeric

guys is it possible to make POS in unity using javascript? if it is possible can you help me please?

2. MrPriest

MrPriest

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but what's POS? The first thing that comes up in my mind is... Well... Not nice. You might want to use the full word.

3. johnnydj

johnnydj

POS = Point Of Sale
    Answer: NO

But I'm sure you are thinking of something different, so please elaborate your question if you really want to get help.
    What and why...

4. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

why no? POS is a gui interface usually ontop of a database of some sort... unity might not be the best solution (security might be an issue especially when it comes to handling cards etc. ) but I don't think there is a technical reason it can't.

5. StarManta

StarManta

You CAN do it. But you shouldn't. Unity is a) overkill in terms of the engine and b) will offer you little to no help in most of the things a POS system must do (database access, purchasing, credit card reading, hardware access for a cash register drawer, and on and on and on) - and while you could do this stuff with binary DLL's and/or plugins, why wouldn't you then just go on to write the entire POS system in that language?

Finally, if you have to come here with a question like this, I would suggest that you not be a person to code something as critical and liability-heavy as a POS system. If you had come to us with, "Does Unity support databases and hardware access I would need to create a POS system", I would not have this opinion, but the vague, open, and clueless nature of the question suggests to me that you don't know enough to create such a system and have it work reliably. POS systems must be robust, they have to be bulletproof really, because tiny errors in the way they process payments or handle sales records can easily ruin a business. Unless I'm wrong about my guess at your level of expertise - don't do that to someone.

6. Bigepidemic

Bigepidemic

Yes, you can make one. Unity could be a good choice if you need something cross-platform. If you're only targeting a single platform/OS then Unity wouldn't be a wise choice unless your POS system has some radically different requirements than most.

And I'd ignore the second paragraph of StarManta's comments.

abelard likes this.
  7. GarthSmith

GarthSmith

This is one step away from "Can you write ATM (Automatic Teller Machine) software with Unity?" The answer is yes you can, but a lot of the system is backend stuff and locking down the client OS/hardware so no one (robbers, disgruntled employees) can mess with your money.

You shouldn't be running a POS/ATM server made in Unity, that's just the wrong tool for the job. If we're just talking about a dumb terminal, then I don't think Unity is that bad for the GUI, but you still have to lock everything down to the hardware so people can't just get free money.

Even minor bugs, not just in your software but in locking down the whole system, means people take your money. Respect that.

8. Bigepidemic

Bigepidemic

I don't see the relationship between ATM and POS systems, Garth. A POS system provides an interface for employees to record transactions and pops a cash drawer and interfaces with a card reader. There are Mono libraries to handle the financial merchant transactions with all of the backend systems and those handle security. The only thing a POS system needs to store (locally or remotely) is transactional involving the items sold, quantity, price, who sold it, timestamp, etc. There are no big security holes as you implied.

abelard likes this.
  9. StarManta

StarManta

If you don't see the similarilities, please don't ever develop one. I hope to never do business with anyone whose POS system is developed with your mindset.

10. Bigepidemic

Bigepidemic

If you'd like to detail the differences and abandon your emotional arguments for factual this thread would be more useful. You're making far too many assumptions and those are driving your comments.

11. Chris-HG

Chris-HG

Of course you can.
    Keep it simple and transfer JSON to and from server for processing.

12. FrankD01

FrankD01

I was surprised I have an all in one POS system (INT) that came with a pre-loaded merchant service provider. Long story short my merchant account was expensive. I had assumed that you halve to stick with the originally loaded account options. Last year a friend referred me to http://merchantaccount-aaa.com they found a firm that somehow modified the provider. I’m saving over 2% a quarter, wish I knew that was even a possibility prior.

Now I need to do the same thing but for my online sales. Does anyone know if you can replace your credit card processor if you are using an online shopping cart service? I don’t want to change providers and be stuck to replacing all my work.

13. Henryyy

Henryyy

Hi, guys!
    Read all the thread... I work with Point of sale systems NJ. They are really cool and work all around the USA, just phone them and ask your questions. they give free quotes about POS systems, and all the stuff))
    Try that...