Search Unity

Making an MMO game script wise, is it difficult and sensible/logical as a small indie developer?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by DeadKenny, Sep 20, 2014.

1. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

So what I want to know is: Is scripting and maintaining multiplayer with about 30 players maybe more on each server/game a very difficult task?

My WIP game: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/omega-void-wip.200629/

I want to achieve something like War thunders multiplayer.... Maybe even Planet side in regard to number of players.... Or at least just give the game the ability to have such amounts of people if it gets popular.

The game itself isn't so complicated and its not anywhere near AAA, but like the heading says. Is it logical to make a MMO like that?

Where would I start? Can someone point me to some more info?

Thanks.

2. BmxGrilled

BmxGrilled

Not at all, I'm following a similar aspiration, takes a lot of work and motivation though! You've got to want the end result badly enough. Hope this helps! :)

3. Suddoha

Suddoha

It's all about patience, generally it's not impossible but it's going to take a lot of time, more than you'd think at first. I think many people would like to get into MMO stuff but give up sooner or later.
    Everything sounds pretty simple in the beginning, but the more you get into it, the more you'll notice how complex a simple game can be, and if you're even working with MUCH passion on your game, you'll never stop to come up with new ideas which make the whole process take even more time.

Thus, i'd say you should think about the most basic stuff first if you haven't done so far. You should also start to implement the multiplayer system as early as possible to ensure you're not gonna run into problems getting into the scripts again and adjust everything, the aim should (at least) be a working basis such as server/client connection, login, playerspawn. (But that's what you probably already know :) )

4. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Ah ok, I thought there would be some sort heavy monetary price or something like that to set up the servers or whatever.

Thanks for the replies I hope more people also comment.