Search Unity

Making a Scene in 10 minutes [SPEED VIDEO]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarlonH, Oct 22, 2014.

1. MarlonH

MarlonH

:3

Coment Please!

:)

EDIT:

Real Time: 3:30 working.

The point of the video: I want to improve my art work before creating my game. Tips please!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

not sure I understand the point of the video...

Joviex likes this.
  3. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

Very nice. Good job. Also..... bing?

4. MrBrainMelter

MrBrainMelter

The point of the video is: you can get some really nice game textures from Bing (or Google) images.

R-Lindsay likes this.
  5. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Sorry to offend, but what's the point of this? Rushing a level which ends up looking really bland is not something anyone should strive to do.

I'd suggest looking at more variation and stylistic choices on the wall textures and all round more time put into it, ATM it looks like a giant shower.

Joviex likes this.
  6. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Pretty sure he wasn't actually working at the speed of the video *sarcasm off :p

I get the point of the video, it's like if photoshop speed paints and Quake done quick had a love child, this beats our internal "how fast can you make a spinning cube" challenges. How long did it actually take?

7. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

You can't just take pictures from google (or bing) and use them as textures in your game.
    You don't have the rights to use this pictures, so you have to either ask permission from their respective authors, buy textures from image stocks, or look for free royalty-free texture sites such as cgtextures.com

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    Stoven, ChrisSch, Joviex and 2 others like this.
  8. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Or the asset store

9. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I reckon around 3 hours and 30 minutes.

MarlonH likes this.
  10. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

LOL I always skip the last minute of every video, for shame on me.

ostrich160 and MarlonH like this.
  11. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Well said and one of my pet peeves. I am amazed by the number of people who give no thought to just going online and stealing images to use in their own projects. It's like they think if it is online and downloadable it must be free. Lol Hmm... maybe they actually do think that?

12. randomperson42

randomperson42

This kind of thing annoys me so much because developers seem to think that it's okay to steal images for their textures and then turn around and freak out when someone pirates their game. It's no different. All you have to do is put yourself in the shoes of the creator of whatever you're stealing to see things differently.

MarlonH, ShilohGames and GarBenjamin like this.
  13. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

That's exactly why I stay away from it. At one time I searched online for images but I tried to check to be sure the image was free before using. It ended up being such a hassle and I didn't want to simply take someone else's work for exactly the reason you said... I wouldn't want someone just pirating my own stuff so therefore I don't pirate other peoples' stuff. I do wonder though why the bjg search engines even added those image searches. It really makes little sense. Nearly anyone using them will be looking for graphics for their own use. I use them as references still. Find several images and use as guides to make my own images.

MarlonH likes this.
  14. randomperson42

randomperson42

Well I'm definitely glad search engines have that feature, I use them for reference all the time. I think that's what a lot of artists do as well. I would never use them for textures or anything but they make great reference images.

MarlonH and GarBenjamin like this.
  15. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Dont worry, I wrote down the times from his taskbar with the intention of actually seeing how long it took..

only to be shown at the end.

I guess its good work for 3.5 hrs, but still just feels like a 'look at me' video...

MarlonH likes this.
  16. MarlonH

MarlonH

My goal was not "look at me!". My goal was to get critiques of my work to make it better :)
    Thanks to those who gave me tips not to use Google Images (I do not know where to look for textures). Any tips on where to look for textures with good quality?

17. MarlonH

MarlonH

About textures of bing (google does not work in certain regions of Brazil!). I only used because it was a test. I have not gained anything by doing this scene, so I can also use the images as they are in the public domain.

18. N1warhead

N1warhead

You make them LOL...

There are multiple ways of doing it, you can take a photo of something and get a Texture Extration tool and make it seamless, that's the easiest way to do it, otherwise just handpaint them if you'd like.

They aren't public domain unless otherwise stated.
    it would be like hey i like this game let me download it and I'll pay for it when I feel like I'm ready.

Google only shows these images because people set up their website(s) with metatags and stuff for google to search their site to find keywords for people to find websites, and shows Images to lead the user to the website not to download from google, why you think you have to hit right click > download?

19. randomperson42

randomperson42

ChrisSch likes this.
  20. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Aren't you allowed to use those images in your game as long as you don't profit on it / sell anything?

21. randomperson42

randomperson42

You can absolutely use CGTextures in your game - even if you profit. You can also sell models with altered versions of the textures.

22. HolBol

HolBol

I have to say, CGTextures is an invaluable resource if you don't want to handpaint textures- or even if you do and just want to paint over it using it as a base.

23. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

First place I check for textures is cgtextures.com, and other royalty free texture sources. If I can't find any I use google images and look at the image source, and if it comes from a royalty free texture source I didn't yet discover, then its ok to use. If I can't determine the source, or it isn't free, then I just stay clear and look somewhere else. :)

24. MarlonH

MarlonH

I don't have problems with the law for using images to study. I did not win anything doing it :)
    Thanks for the help guys :)

25. ostrich160

ostrich160

But this isnt rushing a scene
    The speed you CAN create a scene in =/= wanting to rush
    Thats like saying using a game engine is just for people who want to rush game development

He's just saying 'if I can do this in 10 minutes, imagine what you could do with hours!'