Search Unity

Making a game with absolutely no coding expirience.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LidgeEdge, Mar 26, 2014.

1. LidgeEdge

LidgeEdge

Is it possible to make a game in Unity if I don't know any programming language?
    I'm asking because it's kinda difficult to learn even one and I don't wanna go into it if I can do without it for now.
    The first game I'd make is a 2d platformer/brawler (I guess) and I wanna know what I need to know first.

2. wccrawford

wccrawford

In theory you could use an asset like Playmaker. But for something as (potentially) complicated as a brawler, I don't think I'd recommend it. For something like a match3 game, it should be quite easy, I'd think.

You could also make the assets and design how the game would play and look for a programmer that wants to help make it.

3. LidgeEdge

LidgeEdge

Well, I'd be making something similar to awesomenauts, but with melee combat, and, if I needed to code, I'd rather learn myself.
    So, should I just suck it in and start learning programming?
    If yes, which language is most useful/easy for making games, where should I learn it and how long should it take?

4. mzprox

mzprox

It is advised to learn at least one aspect of game making.. concept art, game art (character, environment, props), game design, level design, coding , animation, vfx etc etc. not all game need these and the list is not full.. some are more sought after skills others less. Then when you have some skills you can find more people who know other stuff

5. LidgeEdge

LidgeEdge

Well, I'd like to make this game myself, my friend will provide the art.

6. bitcrusher

bitcrusher

youre gonna need to learn about networking and databases, unless your game is smaller in scope to awesomenauts with no online multiplayer, i don't think you can do that without learning to code.

7. LidgeEdge

LidgeEdge

ohh...then please tell me the easiest and fastest way to learn enough programming to start making my game.

8. bitcrusher

bitcrusher

9. LidgeEdge

LidgeEdge

I think I saw the same thing in CodeAcademy...should I use that?

10. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

Sanhueza likes this.
  11. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

Sanhueza likes this.
  12. kaiyum

kaiyum

Do not attempt to do this. I repeat it again:Do not attempt to do this. Without learning a language, it will be nightmare to understand, even the visual programming tools(such as kismet-blueprint-playmaker). Surely you would get away with no in-depth language knowledge. But without a bit of programming, you will chase ghost and will be haunted.

13. bluecat

bluecat

in resume is NOT posible develop a game without a basic programming level knowing.

14. bitcrusher

bitcrusher

what? you can make games without programming, seems like all your posts are run through google translate.

Deprodap likes this.
  15. bluecat

bluecat

English it not my language, but i am very clear is NOT possible, without programming knowing almost that can you make is mix a prefabs scripts and objects to make some app that look as a game, a prefab game. This post is some that "i can programming without know programming?".

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  16. drewradley

drewradley

Someone has to make the code but it does not have to be the person making the game. There are perhaps hundreds of starter kits available on the asset store that allow a complete a total noob to make a game. Granted, most of these are for RPGs and FPS, but one can still make a game without ever writing or editing a piece of code, providing they are willing to work within the kit's limitations. Don't think there is a kit that will help in this case though.

Sanhueza likes this.
  17. LidgeEdge

LidgeEdge

Yes, because I want to pay about 50$ to make a free game, though, I'll check the other links, don't link me to payed stuff

18. Kondor0

Kondor0

If you are not going to learn to code at least don't be a cheapass. You can't have good results without investing time and/or money.

Sanhueza likes this.
  19. LidgeEdge

LidgeEdge

I know, I'm just the kind of person that can't really learn easily by himself, like, the only thing I was able to learn properly that way is all about PC's and that was over a year or two...maybe I really should just go to game design school, at least I'll learn the basics, then from there, I can learn other things more easily :)

20. Murgilod

Murgilod

You can either learn yourself or pay so you don't have to.

21. LidgeEdge

LidgeEdge

I want to learn, but can't get myself to learn it by myself.

22. kaiyum

kaiyum

I can't decipher this statement. Falling back to diffuse..........................

Did you mean this:

"I want to learn but I do not exactly know from where I have to start. And how to go along?"

23. bluecat

bluecat

a game is art (2d, 3d, music) + programming, if you have not the second you need work with a programmer, other option if is you have a basic education level, (algebra, geometry, maths) you can learn programming, the internet have a lot of resources, some people can learn in a month, others can take years, but forget the instant game programming assets and kits, good luck.

24. violinbg

violinbg

If you can't learn by yourself - go to college - Computer Science is best. Engineering requires a lot of self-study - lots of it.
    If you just want to take few classes look for: Introduction to Computer Programming etc. Also take Data Structures, Calculus 1,2 and Linear Algebra(very important if you want to do 3D stuff). Probability Theory and Discreet Math will be very useful. You should be good with Trigonometry too.

If you feel you know the above or can go without them, try this good book:
    Data Structures and the Java Collections Framework (3rd ed), John Wiley Sons. (ISBN: 978-0-470-48267-4)

It's for Java, but is very nice to learn and also the book will teach you most important data structures you need to know.
    After that learning C# (for Unity) would be easy. Once you can code, the language is mostly a syntax - and that takes less time to learn.

PS: I'll stress it again: Linear Algebra and Trigonometry -> Important if you want to deal with 3D and even for 2D.

Sanhueza likes this.
  25. LidgeEdge

LidgeEdge

What I meant is, I'm not good at learning things by myself, I'll either give up or never start.
    This is why I think I should just put off making a game until the one Game design school comes to my city (which should be soon I hope) and learn there what I need.

26. drewradley

drewradley

Don't go to a game design school. I used to work as an administrator for one of them and have some inside knowledge of the sleazy business practices of for-profit education. They will charge you 10 times what any legit college/university will cost you and when they have your money, they will leave you to sink or swim all on your own so you'll STILL be left to learn everything more-or-less on your own. Sure they have teachers but the teachers' primary role is that of selling you on the next semester not teaching you what you need to know to be an industry professional. You may learn a few things but in the end, all you'll have is a portfolio that is exactly the same as every other student, massive debt, and very little to show for it. If you insist on going to a game design school go to a community college to get all your basic classes out of the way first. There may be exceptions to this but avoid any for-profit education as their primary business is making money not educating you.

27. LidgeEdge

LidgeEdge

Well, this one is more like about 8 weeks of friendly get-togethers twice a week.
    Costs like...200$-300$ or something close, dunno how I'd translate the cost from kuna to be good.
    Anyway, a few people who went there got jobs in the gaming industry and it's pretty new, maybe about 20 people went so far.

28. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I strongly suggest reading this thread. Many have found it useful in the past, and many are sure to find it useful in the future.

29. Meltdown

Meltdown

Great, then learn the programming. C# please.

30. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

Well, you wanted to know if you could make a game with Unity without coding, right? But you don't want to spend money? Well then use the tutorials and free stuff to learn from, oh wait...

Never mind then. Yeah, you should go to school in that case.

31. SevenBits

SevenBits

Hey, you don't need to be able to program to make a game, just like you don't need a driver's license to drive a car. But both situations I cannot recommend trying.

32. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

What are their pre-requisites? An 8 week course isn't going to make you suddenly able to create a game. And most people I know who've got benefit from design courses went in with some knowledge and skill to build on - i.e.: they were already making games and went in to improve rather than to get started.

I suggest just jumping in with small projects. Try to make Pong. Just start by making something that looks like Pong when you hit play, then figure out what you have to do to make pieces act like they do in Pong. I think you'll find it far easier to be motivated when there's something visual in front of you and the goals are small and quickly achievable ("How do I make the ball move?"), rather than having this giant goal ("Make a side-scrolling brawler") where you don't even know where to start.

ExpiditionVortex likes this.