Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Main Menu with Multiplayer Lobby for Photon

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by wiseman_2, Aug 5, 2015.

1. wiseman_2

wiseman_2

I've been working on a game for quite a while and regularly use assets from the asset store. So, with all of the variety available I was surprised to find that there was no ready made Multiplayer Lobby and menu available...I went looking for one since, even though I had worked with the new gui system for menus I found a multiplayer lobby kind of intimidating... after a while it didn't seem so bad to do.
    I decided that since I was going to have to make one anyway I might as well make it kind of generic first so that every
    I'm nearly complete with the basics, so I should be able to submit in the next few days.

Prefab Multiplayer Menu and Lobby for Photon...
    Currently includes

main menu- links for

single-player- loads single-player menu to start or load a game..(you will need to provide your own save/load system)

multiplayer- loads multiplayer menu / game lobby- allows options to create or join a room... showing all available rooms already in progress... will link to room also to select options before launching game... (you will need to customize game options for your game)

options.. links to a basic options screen... including basic video and sound options

credits... links to basic credits screen
    and exit... links to extra game exit (are you sure) menu before exiting game...

first pics

Should also have the website ready in a few days after that... hopefully by the time it's up on the store

For anybody that wants to use this you should be able to throw it into any project... set the main menu scene to start up ... Import photon.. run the wizard and insert your identification number ... let it know what scenes to launch and you should be good to go...
    I'm trying to set it up to be as easy as possible for non programmers..

later on I might put in an editor interface to set all of the necessary variables .... if I have the time, and there is an interest for it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    LoDx likes this.
  2. imtrobin

imtrobin

looks good

3. wiseman_2

wiseman_2

I just got back to working on this...I've been out of town with work, so I thought I would let everyone know about current progress

main menu- links for

1. single-player- loads single-player menu to start or load a game..(you will need to provide your own save/load system)-Complete
    2. multiplayer- loads multiplayer menu / game lobby- allows options to create or join a room..Complete. showing all available rooms already in progress... will link to room also to select options before launching game... (you will need to customize game options for your game)-In Progress
    3. options.. links to a basic options screen..Complete. including basic video and sound options-Scheduled
    4. credits... links to basic credits screen- Complete
    5. and exit... links to extra game exit (are you sure) menu before exiting game..Complete

I was thinking I would have it ready by now, but have run into a few snaggs..(mainly work).

right now basic multiplayer screen is finished along with a network status panel that iincludes a connect button, and also let you know if you're connected to photon, and when you have successfully joined or created a game room

I should be submitting soon

if anyone is interested in beta testing, please let me know here.

I've been trying to figure out a price point for this and I know that menus aren't all that difficult, however as soon as you add netorking into anything it is much more difficult, and there are no network lobbies available at all. Not sure if anyone has any thought on this

I've tested this myself in a couple of things and all I had to do to get it working was install photon, add my app id, then drop my prefab into an empty scene....
    so it should be very easy for everyone...

4. wiseman_2

wiseman_2

Finally had enough time to finish putting together a few things to get this off.... had to put together some basic documentation on how to install and so forth...

I also put together a basic random spawn system to instantiate a "fake" player and then move it to a random spawner.

so just waiting for the Unity Review

as I sent it off I had a few more thoughts of things I want to clean up in the code and probably add some more error checking....
    but I think I need to wait to send it up until after the review, so my time doesn't start over.

I may try to put this up on my site in the next few days if anyone is interested in trying to get this early.
    let me know if I should

5. imtrobin

imtrobin

I'm interested

6. wiseman_2

wiseman_2

thanks for the interest... sent you a message

7. wiseman_2

wiseman_2

Well after the last post I waited for the review... took 2 weeks and was declined...
    So i thought about it, ... took my time on how to fix it..
    I redid everything they wanted.... mainly had to do with artwork, and one null reference...
    took care of it all though...
    finally Oct 23 i resubmitted and changed the name to be more descriptive, but shorter.

today I was once again rejected. I have to admit I am lucky though from what i have read. I received a letter again that tells me why.
    The problem is that all of the 3 items shown are errors for somebody else's project..
    the first I have never heard of the folder or file that are referenced
    and the second and third are for some photon demo levels that aren't in my project either...

What should I do?

8. carking1996

carking1996

I dunno, just release it for free if they keep rejecting it? That's what others do.

9. wiseman_2

wiseman_2

well I figured out that the last two errors were actually part of the photon demo..........(so not my problem)

the first I have no idea, since it's not even in my package...I think they hadn't fully cleared out the last session and got it confused

so I might just release it on my website for now....then when I can get them to take a look again we'll see.

I'll just keep this thread alive with updates that I release there...
    will let people know when it's available there....

10. wiseman_2

wiseman_2

oh and here are some screens from the update

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  11. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Is this abandoned? I sure could use a working PUN lobby...

12. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

@wiseman_2 So, no response and the website is toast. I assume a "YES this is abandoned". Why is it still on the asset store?

Does anyone have a similar tool or a recent tutorial that actually works? I am just looking for a simple way to add a lobby scene to my PUN-based UFPS-MP game! This really should be an included component in PUN...