Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Magelight: A Rogue-like Project

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TheDarkBadger, May 23, 2015.

1. TheDarkBadger

TheDarkBadger

upload_2015-5-29_23-37-39.png
    Hey, just thought i'd post some information on a project I've been working on for a while now, called Magelight. Its a Rogue-like top down dungeon crawler, heavily based around magic.

Main/Important Features:
    Spells:
    *Insert Harry Potter reference here*

Spells are of course the bread and butter of this project. I want to make spells interesting, not just the standard Fire, Frost, Shock, and the projectile versions of those.(Although they are in the game) This is easily the most varied part of the project, so I'll talk more about it when i have some cool examples. However spells will not be learnt instantly (Like in, for example, Skyrim) they will be learnt over time and in stages. For example, You find a Spell Book for spell X, and you activate it. This will start the process, and there will be a time limit to wait, before you needed to do a certain thing to proceed to the next stage (For example, doing a certain Ritual, or killing a certain monster related to the spell etc) Depending on the spell, there might be one stage, or many, but this will add some complexity to the procedure, instead of just finding a spell book and instantly knowing it. You can also only be learning one spell at a time.

Rituals: For Cthulhu!
    Rituals are going to be a large part of the game, and the best way i can describe it is that its normal crafting systems weird cousin who occasionally has a knife on him. Rituals can be your friend, by giving you access to new spells, ability's or summoning help. Or it could curse you, summon Death etc. However, you will need to do Rituals to gain access to higher tier items and spells, which will allow you to do more Rituals etc.
    Even though some of the Rituals are dangerous, i want all to be useful in someway, if their not helping you directly (New spell or item etc) the horrible Blood Demon it summoned that devoured your face and caused you to use half your good potions to survive it, dropped a really handy ingredient...

Notes: "God, I hope there isn't a crude drawing of genitalia on this..."
    Notes contain the recipe for any ritual, and its completely random... meaning you could end up knowing the required items for the "best" ritual in the game right at the start...have fun getting those items though. Also the note doesn't tell you what the ritual does. I'm not completely evil though, so the recipes will have consistency, meaning you could try to vaguely guess whats gonna come out of the Alter... Better pack some extra potions just to be safe though...

Gear: "Denise, Those Mage robes, are so last season!"
    Obviously there is going to be gear, but I've been playing around with idea that all the gear has some negative side effect as well as the positive, so you don't just want one with the highest stat numbers and have to think about it a bit more than normal. I think this would add a interesting dynamic to hunting for gear and choosing what to take. Maybe i'll be super cruel and not tell you what the effects are, and you have to use an item to find out... or just wear it and hope for then best... better hope the effects are not permanent though. Let me know what you think.

The Map: "I think we're lost..."
    Let me clear this up now, so there is no confusion. Its not open world or anything like that. What it will be is similar to Payday 2's Crime.Net system... Randomly generated levels or player made levels you have (If this is ever on Steam i would implement the Steam Workshop for getting them) are placed around the map, and after selecting one of them, the level will start in the dungeon, and you will progress through it. However, unlike Payday 2's Crime.net, it will be based around your level, so you wont need to wait half an hour for a level that will be worth doing. After finishing you will return to your home, where you can go back to the map and select a new level.

Home: "There is no place like home"
    After finishing a level, you will return to your home. This is where you can prepare for the next dungeon by creating potions and learning spells. The home will be customizable, and you will need to. You will need to find, buy and create the different crafting stations. You will be able to plant seeds to grow important plants for potions, and many other things.

Lite Features (Its sugar free!):
    Time out guys!

Health doesn't passively re-gen when in a dungeon. When having an epic battle, i don't want to be able to say "Hold on bro, i know your trying to kill me and all, but time out" and then go suck my thumb in the corner of the room and regain all my health. Your gonna be using health potions for healing, which work over time not instantly.
    Hold on bro, i got this!
    No "Recommend level" for dungeons. You will be told some information about the dungeon, and have to work out if the Risk/Reward ratio is good enough for you. Even if it contains the most hellish creature imaginable, you could still go in at level one. Wouldn't recommend it though.

Planned Features for Early Alpha (That still need to be added):
    In no particular order:
    More enemy's
    Pre-made maps
    Player base for crafting items + base customization
    At least one of each spell types working
    Armor (Semi-Finished)
    Skill trees (Finished)
    Map Menu, to select levels (Finished)
    Level types
    Map Editor (Finished)
    Saving and loading (Finished)
    At least 3 fully working bosses

upload_2015-5-25_19-50-39.png
    Shooting a Firebolt at a spider. You can also see the Health, Mana, charge time and coin count in the top left. The bar at the top of the screen is the boss health bar.
    upload_2015-5-25_19-42-36.png
    The basic inventory screen + tooltip.

upload_2015-5-25_19-45-12.png
    The particle blood system
    upload_2015-5-25_19-47-41.png
    The Dragon Boss. Hopefully i get to add a lot more types. If your wondering how i want the combat for these guys to be, look up "Skyrim Deadly Dragons" and "Skyrim Dragon Combat Overhaul" of course that's just how i want it to be, but its all WIP.
    Let me know what you think, even if its negative (Constructive criticism maybe?) and if you have any suggestions or questions please tell me.
    Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    kittik, RavenOfCode and nasos_333 like this.
  2. CodeMonke234

CodeMonke234

Looks good....

BTW - I think you mean Rogue-like ? Rouge-like means red ;-)

3. TheDarkBadger

TheDarkBadger

Haha, of course i make a stupid mistake like that... shouldn't of been writing this at midnight

4. TheDarkBadger

TheDarkBadger

Removed the old texture blood system. Replaced it with a nice shiny particle blood system, that i think looks quite nice. Works for both the Enemy's and Player.
    Added movement animations for all the current enemy's
    Added the inventory selection icon, so you know what item you have selected
    Did the art for the second boss, Husk.
    upload_2015-5-25_19-31-0.png
    No other major changes, just a bit of tiding up with the Inventory UI, which had some weird low res sprites for the slots

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Looks interesting.
    I don't think the smooth text matches the rest of the pixel art style, but it's a cool font either way.
    Maybe you could pixelate it to match the rest of the game.

6. TheDarkBadger

TheDarkBadger

Thanks, i'll see how a pixelated font looks

7. TheDarkBadger

TheDarkBadger

Changed to a pixel font, thanks for the suggestion i prefer it to the other :)
    upload_2015-5-29_23-26-2.png

8. TheDarkBadger

TheDarkBadger

Sorry for the long gap in updates, but i had some lovely exams...
    Anyway! I got pathfinding working! Yay! Now the enemys will go round objects and walls etc and not just make a beeline to you.
    Also started work on occlusion culling to save performance.

9. TheDarkBadger

TheDarkBadger

Had a nice easy day of overhauling the UI, and adding Player Animations. I think it looks a lot better, as it fits the theme of the game more than the older UI. Currently all the back panels are using the same texture, which looks a little weird on the sides for the Inventory Panel as its been stretched but it doesn't matter too much, eventually i will end up making a texture for each of the UI elements that need it, Minecraft style. I've also added a basic main menu (which is lacking a cool background image (which i have a few ideas for)), i've also created the UI for the Map Editor, which i will start working on next, as i will be creating the game maps in it.
    Finally i've added a flames animation to Fire Stands and Campfires, and i think the animation could do with more (and better) frames, but i think the particle effects are nice. It brings more life to the game, instead of just having static fires.
    Anyway, here are some images:
    Inventory and Toolbar.
    upload_2015-8-8_21-4-38.png
    The Ritual Alter panel (Left).
    upload_2015-8-8_21-6-13.png
    The Main Menu, the grey background will be replaced with a cool image, i have a few ideas for it, but it wont be made for a while. the large panels are toggled with the Credits/Updates buttons on the bottom left
    upload_2015-8-8_21-8-42.png
    Map Editor UI, the S, O, D buttons are for Structure, Objects and Decals. The buttons on the right are for Creating a new map, Saving, and loading.
    upload_2015-8-8_21-16-54.png

RavenOfCode likes this.
  10. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Looks really cool, an interesting and fun concept, reminds me a bit of terraria with the graphics and items.

Keep up the good work! :)

11. Testfor

Testfor

Love it :D I am interested on seeing more of the level editor ;)

12. vedinislamovic

vedinislamovic

Awesomee :D I love this type of games ! Looking forward to it :)

13. TheDarkBadger

TheDarkBadger

Thanks so much, it means a lot :)
    Well that's good, as i can show it off a bit :) I've got it working, just need to implement saving/loading and structures snapping to other structures, but the basic building is there. The Structure items (Corridors, Corner Sections etc) snap to whole values, while Decals can be freely placed, although are locked to 0.1 increments.
    Some images
    The top right menu has changed slightly, the white and black button is the test button, so it puts you in player form and you can walk about. The gear button brings up the options menu, where you can create a new map, save, load and quit.
    upload_2015-8-9_22-18-1.png
    Placing a circle connector
    upload_2015-8-9_22-20-54.png
    upload_2015-8-9_22-22-40.png
    upload_2015-8-9_22-23-54.png
    upload_2015-8-9_22-26-7.png

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    Testfor and RavenOfCode like this.
  14. TheDarkBadger

TheDarkBadger

I've gotten Saving and Loading finished, for both Save games and Maps! Meaning that it is a lot closer to being a proper game now that players can resume progress :D

RavenOfCode likes this.
  15. TheDarkBadger

TheDarkBadger

A pretty big update today:
    Added the map selection menu, used by the Player in their home to go to the next dungeon. I've also added the perks system, The Player uses Exp (Gotten from killing bosses, brewing potions, preforming rituals etc) to purchase perks. Perks will all have different, but useful, effects that will enhance your skills. Finally I've added equippable gear, not much to show on that though, so i won't talk about it (Standard stuff, will talk about it more when i have all the cool effects working)

The Map Menu:
    The map menu is accessed by the Table in the Players home upload_2015-8-17_21-6-54.png
    It brings up this menu, when the mouse is over one of the icons (Randomly generated) it brings up the tool tip with the name, currently there is only one map, Darkspire, but i will add more as the Map Editor makes it easy to make maps
    upload_2015-8-17_21-4-51.png

The Perks Menu:
    The perks menu is accessed with TAB, and brings up this menu, Perks are only displayed to be learnt when their precursor has been learnt (which is why there is only one perk in the image, its the first perk in the Conjuration Tree)
    upload_2015-8-17_21-12-50.png

I'm gonna do a bit more work with the perks, and then move onto the first boss, Husk.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  16. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Looks cool, when do you think you will have a gameplay demo? (I would love to try it out as it looks really cool:))

17. TheDarkBadger

TheDarkBadger

Honestly I'm not sure, so i wont make any promises, but I'm hoping to get something out by the time school starts (About two weeks D: ) To get a basic gameplay demo for people to try i will need to get a boss or two done (Which is the scary part, but it might be easier than i think) a couple more levels (That's the easy bit) a Effects system (Burning damage, perk effects, poisons etc it needs to be annoyingly flexible so its gonna be a pain to do, but once again, might not be as bad as i think it will be) some more spells (That will be easy once effects are done) some Rituals (System already in place, its just a content thing) and maybe a couple more enemy's. After all that's done, I think I'll release a gameplay demo, and get some opinions. And then its mostly content content content, as all the framework stuff would be in place

RavenOfCode likes this.
  18. TheDarkBadger

TheDarkBadger

A short demo of the flame effects, the same effect will be used for a few other spells, of different elements (like ice). This video just shows the fire version though.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  19. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

It looks really cool, it has a nice mix or colors. :)

20. freakdave

freakdave

Nice stuff, i like it, keep those videos comin' :)

21. TheDarkBadger

TheDarkBadger

Pretty big update today:
    I've implemented spell selection, you can pick from the list of spells you have learnt and add them to your the hotbar. Spells can be learnt from certain perks (Added) or from Spell Tomes (Not added, yet)
    upload_2015-8-25_14-11-41.png
    I added the effects system, so now potions work. effects can applied over X time (I.e Regen 5 Health per second, for 5 seconds) or as a one-shot which after X time disappears (I.e +5 Speed for 10 seconds) or for the effect to be applied for ever (unless it is taken away by the source), which will be used by armors and perks. I made the generation for Items gained from chests, Items can be Gear, Ingredients, Potions or Notes.
    I've also added a new Ritual to summon a Gargoyle, along with a bunch of new items:
    upload_2015-8-25_14-8-36.png

RavenOfCode likes this.
  22. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Looks really good, keep up the awesome work. :)

I like the light bulb in the mage :p nice touch.

23. TheDarkBadger

TheDarkBadger

Haha yeah that screen shot is from the editor mode in Unity (which is why there is no lighting) I couldn't take it while playing the game cause i wanted to take the screen shot with no lighting.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  24. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Any updates?

25. TheDarkBadger

TheDarkBadger

Sort of, progress is slow, im struggling to find the time, but i have a break coming up, so i will probably get an update out then. But, im working on random level creation: This will use completely random rooms, not the structure pieces that are currently in the game, this will also require the map editor to change a lot to remove the structure pieces from the game entirely, but that should be easier. Right now i've got i weird bug i cant fix, but i will probably look at it soon and be like "OH I'VE GOT IT!" and fix it, which is what usually happens :D

RavenOfCode likes this.
  26. TheDarkBadger

TheDarkBadger

Ok, while i was working on map generation (which now just needs to have Objects and Decals generated, should be a post on it by the weekend) i started to improve the UI as mine still sucks, so here is the new Inventory mock up:
    upload_2016-1-12_0-42-37.png

See if you can guess what the 5 tabs are for ;)
    I will eventually give the same treatment to the rest of the UI but for now, if you have any improvements i can make please tell me, if i have to come back and do another UI Overhaul i will probably jump of a building or something.

RavenOfCode and vedinislamovic like this.
  27. TheDarkBadger

TheDarkBadger

I've been busy will college recently, but i did get round to doing work on this, so here what I've been working on.

Map gen:
    Currently its pretty basic, but functional, which allows me to work on different things. I'll probably continue changing things and adding features to it, but i'll leave it how it is for now.
    A view of a level 1 size Dungeon, only 5 rooms, The amount of rooms increases the more levels you go down (explained down below). The objects being circled are Enemy Spawners, which are also randomly generated. The yellow Circles show the area the enemy's can spawn in, and the red is the detection zone. These are only displayed in the editor. The 4th room has spawned a Chest, which will drop loot for the player. Some of the objects that have spawned are Pots (which can be destroyed) and, although it cant be seen very clearly, Cobwebs and cracks in the floor, along with other decals.
    upload_2016-1-30_16-54-7.png

Alchemy Station:
    Added the Alchemy Station, this is where Potions can be made with ingredients you find. Unlike Rituals, all potions will just have positive effects.

New Crafting System UI:
    The Crafting System has got an upgrade, this is the new UI (Alchemy Station);
    upload_2016-1-30_15-50-56.png
    The same UI is used for the Ritual Alters as well.

New Dungeon Selection Menu:
    This has changed quite a bit, its a lot simpler now:
    upload_2016-1-30_16-43-18.png
    Dungeons work like this, there is a main type, i.e Caves, which has variants, such as Cave, Flooded Cave etc, which has graphical changes and will have different enemy's in them, but variants will be similar, while main types are very different. (Also the name Blue Dungeon, is defiantly changing, i just haven't thought of what to call it yet XD )

4 dungeons types are picked and displayed to the play for them to chose. If they clear the dungeon, they will meet a boss, and if they defeat the boss they are given a choice to return to the House, or to continue on in to a deeper level of the dungeon, where the difficulty increases and repeat. The deepest level of the dungeons will vary, but will be around 5.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  28. dilraj.singh

dilraj.singh

Where's your code?!

29. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Any news?

StarGamess likes this.