Search Unity

MadMan(Artur G.) Assets Thread

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mad-Man, Jul 26, 2014.

1. smelchers

smelchers

Please add correctly scaled prefabs additionally to your packs.
    They would really be appreciated.
    Currently I shy away from Mad-Man assets because I know they are scaled incorrectly, and I need to spend many many hours to fix that. The same goes to the Schmidt brothers who also sell assets where a door takes up like 10 metres or so.

2. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

Just to show that things are moving forward - Ghost Town almost done (hospital too, yet not ready to be shown). Honestly this one moved into completly new level of quality with Unity 5 and SpeedTree (old grass and trees are removed). Pack still need a few hours of love, but almost done :)

Tell me what you think. Expect update to be submitted this weekend! Hospital and Manor will land in U5 next week.

IFL, OnePxl and SecretStudio like this.
  3. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Looks really nice!

4. smelchers

smelchers

Scaled correctly? Please!!!

5. hopeful

hopeful

Looking forward to all the PBR updates! :)

6. IFL

IFL

Since I kind of helped the scaling debate regarding these awesome assets, I have to stand up for them now. I obviously understand why someone would want the packs' scale corrected. But, they were made to be easily snapped together using the Unity world units. If the scale is corrected, that functionality is lost. To correct it from a design stance would mean redoing every single piece that can be snapped together, including the UVs and/or texture. If Unity's snapping accounted for parent scaling, this wouldn't be an issue at all - you could just put prefabs into a parent before snapping them together. These assets are great. I vote for more packs instead of fixing the scale of the older ones.

OnePxl likes this.
  7. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

I am following this debate with great interest.
    Personally, I would not buy them if I have to adjust the scale.
    Being consistant with Unity's scale measurement is a must to me.
    I had a great experience with a Japanese level designer (also available on the Asset Store).
    I informed him about his scaling mistakes, and within 3 weeks, he updated all of his assets. That was really great and sense of duty.
    I can not see this here, so I would not buy the asset.

8. TobiUll

TobiUll

Do your shaders support PBR? That would be great. And correct scaling is a must.

9. IFL

IFL

@Mad-Man - Any news on the Ghost town update? I'm really looking forward to it.

10. Jaimi

Jaimi

I agree with the other posters here - I've purchased almost every one of your packs. But the scale issue makes them painful to use with other assets (such as particle effects which don't scale at all).

I hope your future packs use the correct scale - you are a talented artist, I really like your work.

11. IFL

IFL

These asset packs are rarely shown with sunlight... and the new U5 GI is icing on the cake:

MadManGhostTownDaytimeU5.jpg

12. hopeful

hopeful

It's possible that the new PBR versions offer an opportunity to re-scale ...?

13. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

To all that are still asking about PBR and re-scaling - please, read page 3 :)

Ghost Town for U5 with PBR is in submission already IFL - so stay tuned.

Meantime Abandoned Hospital for UE4 was submitted - just for those that want to know ;)

14. Nurviz

Nurviz

15. joostpi

joostpi

Awesome, So If I am correct, Abandoned Hospital for Unity 5 is also close to being finished? Awesome looking forward to be a proud owner of one of your assets :)

16. smelchers

smelchers

So if I read page 3 correctly, you said that you would not touch the scaling, and thus your assets stay scaled incorrectly, right?

You wrote:
    Mates, I'm sorry but I can't touch fbx scale at the moment.

So that is the current state, right?
    I think it is important for future buyers to know.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

17. hopeful

hopeful

Ghost Town is now out in PBR. :)

IFL likes this.
  18. sadman

sadman

is Ghost Town on sale now? If so, for how long?

what is "PBR"?

19. IFL

IFL

Yes, for about a week.
    Physically Based Rendering

20. smelchers

smelchers

But is it correctly scaled or the same incorrect scale as the previous packages?
    My question about this was left un-answered.

21. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

It was answered before you asked. He said he is not going to re-scale the old packages that he is simply upgrading to PBR, because they are already in use.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  22. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

Thanks for answering questions mates - I really appreciate that you are helping each other - that's awesome!

smelchers - remember that in addition to NA-RA-KU answer you have to know, that I took your point and all next packages (not updates, but new ones) will fit default Unity5 controller scale.

Yes, as someone already noticed - GhostTown update is live, sale will remain for about 7-10 days at maximum.

Hospital is on its way.

Honestly can't wait to finish all updates and start new package :D

Frogger007, IFL and hopeful like this.
  23. Frogger007

Frogger007

"... and start new package "

I hope something like a starship bridge, navigation, communication section and cryo sleepchambers.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  24. Jerome-P

Jerome-P

I am a beginner. I wanted to purchase this asset. What does it mean "In-Correctly scaled"? When I want to ingrate prefabs of this package I need to scale them to fit to for example the Viking Project? Is it common that assets are not like Unity scale?

25. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

Jerome P. - that's excatly what it means to be scaled incorrectly :) In other words my already released packs are designed for my custom project that uses controller with eyes over 2 units above the ground, so for default unity player it's like... hmmm... beeing in a giant world? ;) It's not so hard to adjust the scale for your needs, but it needs a bit of experience from your side.

26. Frogger007

Frogger007

Mad-Man.

When i use your asset parts, then i can put all them in one empty game object.
    With this i can scale all parts at the same time, till they match to other objects.

Or i can do it in the other way.

In one of my projects i match all objects sizes to the wide of the roads in the game,
    i have created them with 'Road Architect'.

In an other project i match the scale of all game objects to the size of my first person controller (FPC Pro).

This result in two different scales, but this is ok for me !

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  27. Frogger007

Frogger007

I like your 'Ghost Town' asset, the only thing who could be added are flying bats.

28. Nurviz

Nurviz

I bought the ghost town immediately. haven't opened it yet but I'm sure it's great like the others. Just waiting on the hospital now. My game project starts in a hospital so I get a week or two off! Yaay for me! :D

29. Jaimi

Jaimi

That won't work like you expect, the positions would scale too, so everything would be off. You would need to place and scale each piece individually. Also, things like terrains, lights, particles, etc don't scale at all, so you would need to adjust those as well.

30. redmotion_games

redmotion_games

Mad-Man,
    Love you stuff. Unity 5 has been a big bonus for us free users with assets using deffered rendering.
    Have you considered using substance materials so that it's possible to tweak colours and details on the assets a little? For example, quickly turn a lampshade from one colour to another.

31. Jaimi

Jaimi

I hope if you do this, that you have non-substance materials as well. Unless they've been fixed, they consume memory and crash often.

32. Jerome-P

Jerome-P

I think it is very cool that you integrated SpeedTree, but is it legal? I think SpeedTree's license forbids it. It would be very cool if they changed that.

33. hopeful

hopeful

I'm not currently using them, but haven't they been fixing issues with substance right along? I see a lot of fixes in the release notes, including:

Unity 4.5.2 -
    • Substance : Fix rare semaphore-related error message.
    • Substance : Fix rare hangs/crashes when building user projects.
    • Substance : Decrease memory footprint after initial scene load
    • Substance : Fixed potential crash when baking ProceduralTextures to compressed formats

34. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

In generall substances have two main pros - texture size reduction and possibility of creating parameters. But it's not a magic saviour of game technology - it just eats other parts of performance and stability. I'm using substance painter and designer but on the end I'm always baking textures to tga's/psds. So even if I will decide to share substances in packages I'll put them as a bonus - scene and materials will use baked textures.

"That won't work like you expect, the positions would scale too, so everything would be off. You would need to place and scale each piece individually. Also, things like terrains, lights, particles, etc don't scale at all, so you would need to adjust those as well."

That's not true. This way should work (not to mention that I'm using this method often).

By the way Hospital is on Marketplace trello - vote and help :D

https://trello.com/c/dqplHNdd/340-he-abandoned-hospital

35. Nurviz

Nurviz

Heya Artur,

Have you submitted hospital or manor interior to the asset store team yet?

36. Jaimi

Jaimi

I respectfully disagree. Like I said, terrains, lights and particles do not scale. Scale them down by 1/2, and your terrain stays the same size, your particles remain the same size, and the light radius remains the same size all in global world space. But everything else is shifted 50% away, and 50% smaller.

If you mean the individual prefabs, then yes, it would mostly work, but would require adjustment of lights and particles.

Still, I like your work, and the scaling is not that onerous on these older packs.

37. Jerome-P

Jerome-P

Do you have any update on the SpeedTree issue? I was hoping I could release custom Speed Tree but then I read the license agreement, and according to it it is forbidden to release them. Did you find a license agreement with SpeedTree? When I contacted them, they simply said something like "No, currently not allowed". How did you manage that?

38. hopeful

hopeful

This sounds great. :)

39. Frogger007

Frogger007

When would the new hospital version be available ?

40. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

"Have you submitted hospital or manor interior to the asset store team yet?"

Yes, it's already in submission process.

In case of SpeedTree... Honestly I didn't track that topic in any way. In packages you will find published trees for SpeedTree Unity version (not sources), and review team made package live without any problems. Usually if there are any prohibitet contents they simple decline the pack. Now I can see that I should contact SpeedTree first... damn't, writing an e-mail right now ;)

EDIT: Some Hospital screenshots from U5...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    Aldo, Kunani, hopeful and 2 others like this.
  41. Kunani

Kunani

The hospital looks great. Waiting for the U5 update :)

42. Nurviz

Nurviz

Hospital for U5 is out. Just picked her up at one heck of a steal for $20. Thanks Artur!

43. Nurviz

Nurviz

How is the Manor Interior coming along Mad-Man?

44. hopeful

hopeful

Just downloaded the new version of HE Hospital. I noticed there are some pink prefabs among the morgue items, medicine bottles, etc. Is something missing?

45. Mad-Man

Mad-Man

Nurviz - working on it at the moment. The most painfull package to port - still unity crashes when I'm trying to bake Manor scene! Geeez, hope I'll finish it soon.

hopeful - you are right man! Forgot to apply new prefabs, so they're okey on scene, while prefabs are broken. It's cause I don't need material variations like in Unity 4 (everything could be done via roughness mask) and I deleted them. I think is not a big issue (apply objects on scene or simple bind materials in prefab). I'll submit fix tomorrow! Thank you for pointing that out.

46. Nurviz

Nurviz

I hear ya Mad-Man! Keep up the good work! :)

47. Frogger007

Frogger007

I have purchased 'Ghost Town' and the 'Abandoned Hospital', both are very great assets.

The bunker looks to simple for me, could be much more complex !

48. Frogger007

Frogger007

Are there some news about the 'Abandoned Manor' and the 'Mothership' update ?

Preview pictures ?

49. lakmal1975

lakmal1975

Hi MadMan,

First of all, i must say all your assets on the Asset Store looks awesome.
    They look more professional than any other assets i have seen in the Asset Store so far.

I recently purchased Abandoned Hospital, Ghost Town and The Bunker packs.
    I am bit new to Unity engine so i was going through the Abandoned Hospital pack to figure out how to add it to my own custom game scene. I was basically looking for the example scene, but could not find the it in the asset pack.
    I see that you have mention about the example scene in the asset description. I also saw some one talking about the example scene in this forum.

Have you removed the example scene when you upgrade it to unity 5? Please let me know how i can get the example scenes for your asset packs.

50. Frogger007

Frogger007

Example Scene: HorrorEnvironment_Hospital/Hespital_EXAMPLE.unity