Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mad Level Manager - Level chooser and manager

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by genail, Jul 13, 2013.

1. genail

genail

How would you describe the speed? 2:1? There's no speed modifier, because drag is detected on pixel space, so if finger goes 100 pixels left then page will be moved 100 pixels left. There's a deadDistance in MadDraggable.cs, but it is set to 50 by default.

As I was writing this I think a found a possible issue, and this is a bug alright. Please show me your root object inspector (Mad Root Node). For some configurations it will have impact on drag speed. Please try to reset its values to same values that can be seen in GridExample scene.

About the second issue this is something that I am unaware of! I will check it after the weekend. Thank you for reporting this!

Cheers!
    Piotr

2. johnnydj

johnnydj

Hey there.
    Here are 2 videos.
    The 1st one record in editor, the 2nd one recorded on a Note3.

Editor

Note3

In the first video you can see all my settings, also the swipe kind of works ok in the editor, but the jumping thing is there.
    Also, you can see the mouse cursor while dragging, slowly going offset from the starting position.
    That is what I would like to slow down more, and I think that would also help the quick switch on the mobile devices.

In the second video, on the actual phone you can see if I just swipe the screen and quickly release finger, the pages almost instantly swap.

Hope that helps you.

3. johnnydj

johnnydj

UPDATE: I kind of got what I wanted regarding the swipe speed.
    I've set the camera size from 1 to 2.
    Then I scaled up the backgrounds and buttons to appear the same way as they were before.

The only issue I am facing now, is on mobile while slowly holding and dragging the screen, there is a very noticeable stuttering until I release my finger. After that is smoothly easing to position.
    Any way to optimize that so I don't get that stuttering while swiping and holding my finger?
    Best noticeable on a phone, but sometimes even in the Editor.

And of course that bug with the jumping screen seen in the video :)

4. genail

genail

Would you mind if I look at it after the weekend? I am away from home right now and I have limited access to my hardware. I think I that fix it quite quickly and send you the updated version.

Are you using the latest Mad Level Manager?

5. johnnydj

johnnydj

yeah no problem. yes I'm using the one you gave me with the fixed free layout guid depth values :)

6. genail

genail

I cannot reproduce this :-(
    Could you send me your scene to support@madpixelmachine.com?

Cheers!
    Piotr

7. genail

genail

Note to all my clients. I am going on vacations and I won't be available as I usually am until June 23 (Monday). I am still monitoring forums and email, so no message will be leaved unanswered.

Cheers!
    Piotr

8. iEpic

iEpic

I am making my first game so I am kind of a noob, but when I saw your asset in the store I had to buy it. I am super broke and decided I would only pick 1 thing to buy out of the asset store, and this was it!
    I read in your documentation about making all of the levels in 1 scene, so I did a lot of reading and started discussions, and it seems like everyone agrees that it is better to do it that way. I am making a 2D side scroller game and every level will have the same background almost, and will use the same pickups, and enemy objects.
    I spent all day trying to find the correct way to do this, but I can't find any info or tutorials anywhere for a noob.
    Do I just lay out all the levels next to each other in one huge scene, and have him spawn at a new starting point for each level like this lil pic I made? 2014-06-21-21-37-05.png I'm guessing this is the wrong way to do it because it seems like it would make the scene size huge, and maybe take longer to load when it has all these objects active and enabled?
    I have no idea if that is the correct way of doing it or not, I'm totally guessing on what I think is logical.

If that is not how you do it, would it be something more like this picture below, but with only 1 level enabled at a time, which ever level the user is currently on? That would make it where the scale of the scene would end up being like 10 times smaller then the first method.( not sure if this even matters)
    levels.jpg
    Or maybe would you do a combination of both of these methods by laying the levels out like the 1st example, and only having the current level enabled like the 2nd example.

Or am I completely wrong about both of these methods?
    Since I know nothing about this, I'm guessing I am completely wrong about both of these ways of doing it, and there is a correct way.

I couldn't find any tutorials anywhere on the correct way to do this.
    A YouTube tutorial on how to implement the multiple levels per scene, and have it setup with your level manager would be awesome. I did read a lot of discussions with other people who were wondering the same thing, but couldn't find anywhere people got answers.

I bet if you did a YouTube tutorial with this using your asset, you would get a ton of new sales from all the people who were just searching how to use multiple levels per scene and didn't even know about your level manager. Seems like it couldn't do anything but benefit you in a major way.
    My YouTube channel has a little over 41,000 subscribers so if you need any help on the YouTube end just let me know.
    If you can tell me the correct process to get this all working, I will even make the video for you.
    Let me know and can't wait to hear back from you.
    Thanks!

9. johnnydj

johnnydj

I am facing a big issue right now.
    I am trying to save the level unlock / star rating progress from the saved PlayerPrefs data, but it's failing to save because the way the data is formated with new lines and stuff....

Is there really no way to save that data into the cloud and load it back?
    Tried to save it into a SQL DB but fails
    Tried to save it as a JSON string into the App42 DB and fails...

Any ideas?

10. genail

genail

Hello There!
    Thank you for purchasing Mad Level Manager!

If I understand you correctly, you're trying to create many game level using only one scene level. Indeed this is Mad Level Manager feature to support such scenarios, but this method is profitable only if your level data can or should be loaded from external resource. Let me explain.

Let's say you're creating a game like Sokoban.

In Sokoban level consists of walls, crates, destination fields and player position. In this kind of games you may want to use external level editor or some kind of external (out of scene) data storage mechanism that:
    1) Will load template scene
    2) Will load data file
    3) Will instantiate all walls, crates, etc.
    4) Will put player at destined position

This will be more elegant solution than creating multiple levels. Mad Level Manager for each level allows you to set arguments to let your level know what data file it should be using.

In your case I believe that you want to design your levels in the editor. I believe that this is not a good candidate for 1 scene -> many levels technique. Instead you may want to make heavy use of prefabs. I am doing this in my Train Control game.

You said that your background is the same, same pickups and enemy objects. These are good candidates for prefabs. You should create a prefab for almost anything that you have on your scene. The perfect situation will be when moving only one prefab on an empty scene will create a fully-working level. In that way creating new levels is painless, and updating a prefab will update all your scenes without going through them.

This is a theory. In practice you should make two group of objects on your scenes. First group consists of common things (background, gui elements, etc.) Second group are things that are level-unique. This will be your level design, enemy instances, player position, power up positions, etc.

How Mad Level Manager will be helpful here? The argument-pre-level feature is not the strongest one. I think the best MLM feature so far is extension feature. It allows you to connect scenes before and after any level to make them a part of it. In Train Control I am loading Objectives Scene when level is loading. Player can read what he must do without waiting for level to load later. After actual game level the Score Scene is loaded. Tip: I am using external data storage to store objectives for each of my levels. This is because Objectives Scene cannot access objects that are defined in the level scene (level is still loading at the point when Objectives Scene is displayed), so I've created a prefab in Resources directory with a name of level that is currently loading. Then I am executing Resources.Load(MadLevel.currentLevelName). And of course don't forget about level select scenes feature!

About the video tutorial, it may be a great way to promote my asset. Thank you for this great idea! As I said before it should be presented in a game like Sokoban, Sudoku or any other board/puzzle game.

Please write if you have any other questions!

Cheers!
    Piotr

11. genail

genail

Hello Johnny,
    What error are you receiving? In my tests I was able to store data with new line characters, but there's maybe something more of it. Can you send me an example string that you want to save?

Cheers!
    Piotr

12. johnnydj

johnnydj

I just simply do like:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. string savedata = PlayerPrefs.GetString("_default__levels");
    then I would build the URL and use that "savedata" variable to just post it
    Code (CSharp):
    1. string post_url = saveProgressURL + "facebookid=" + fbid + "&savedata=" + savedata + "&hash=" + hash;
    I'm always getting an "Error 400 - Bad request"
    If I create a string and manually copy and paste the value from the registry and then I remove the new lines so the whole string is on 1 line, I can succesfully post the data with App42 Storage Services, but posting to a MySQL DB still won't work.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  13. genail

genail

Hello Johnny,

Ohh I believe that I misunderstood you previously. I'm sorry, I am just after a 11 hour trip...

Are you trying to use POST method to send the data? I see post_url variable, but you're trying to set data string as GET text. GET is OK for simple content, but you should use POST method instead. If you want I think I can send you a general example how to do that tomorrow when I will be back home.

Cheers!
    Piotr

14. Dj_Zuczyslaw

Dj_Zuczyslaw

Please, plase, make a Hot Deal !. If u make a 24 hours Hot Deal with Mad Level Manager iI will buy it asap :)

15. genail

genail

Hello Dj_Zuczyslaw,
    I'm glad to hear that you're interested in Mad Level Manager!

Mad Level Manager is currently in the promotion pending queue, but I cannot make the decision when it will be available on sale. My other asset sale was also surprising for me. Usually Unity team notifies me about incoming sale, but I see that not every time. Anyway stay tuned and follow us on Facebook and Twitter! :)

Cheers!
    Piotr

16. Dj_Zuczyslaw

Dj_Zuczyslaw

Thank you for answer! All right , I will follow Facebook And Twitter :)

Cheers!, Pozdrawiam :) !

17. trizero

trizero

everything works great! but I want to know is there any way to load the level after icon animation finished?

for example,press icon->play icon animation(scale icon)->release icon->load level

18. genail

genail

Hello There!

There's no such feature at the moment. If you need it, I can add something like this couple of days and I can send you the updated version. How about that? :)

Cheers!
    Piotr

19. trizero

trizero

yes, I need it,thank you very much!

20. trizero

trizero

and I need a feature , slide the grid to the right and bounce back,I can do that by
    I change the code to let the grid (levels)slide to the right and bounce back (there is no level on the left),the effect is good for me,if you can add this ,it will be great!

21. genail

genail

I'm not sure if I understand. Could you explain it a little more, or provide an example?

22. Arnoho

Arnoho

Hey,

I wanted to ask one question about those fonts that come with Mad level manager. I am trying to get my project work with windows phone 8 but it doesn't work if I don't disable all content that has font. Without any text, everything works fine. Wierd.

I am pretty new with Unity so probably reason is not in Mad Level Manager but If anyone here know how to fix this, please help me.

ps. MLM is a amazing product. I am happy that I bought it! ;)

23. genail

genail

Hello Arnoho!
    Thank you for purchasing Mad Level Manager!

I've got myself Windows Phone device recently and I am experiencing similar issue. I believe that there's something wrong with Mad Level Manager. I will be working on it, so I will let you know and send the updated version ASAP.

Cheers!
    Piotr

24. Arnoho

Arnoho

Wow. that's the support! thanks.

I will also try to find solution, but if it's in MLM code, you probably find faster solution.

-Arno

25. ButtReynolds

ButtReynolds

Hello, Thanks for your previous reply, I have the level arguments working very well. But now I am running into something else.

When I complete a level and go back to the level select screen I get the following error message and the next level won't unlock. Do you know where I might look to find the problem? I have rebuilt the level select layout and icon template and it still didn't fix it. My icon template is pretty similar to the example you have your site.

I know it's not much info, but if you know where I should poke around I can investigate.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MadLevelManager.MadLevelIcon.UnlockOnComplete () (at C:/01_projects/TrailMixOld/Assets/Mad Level Manager/Scripts/Base/MadLevelIcon.cs:268)
    MadLevelManager.MadLevelIcon.OnPropertyChange (MadLevelManager.MadLevelProperty property) (at C:/01_projects/TrailMixOld/Assets/Mad Level Manager/Scripts/Base/MadLevelIcon.cs:261)
    UnityEngine.Component:SendMessageUpwards(String, Object)
    MadLevelManager.MadLevelProperty:UpdateEnabled(Boolean) (at C:/01_projects/TrailMixOld/Assets/Mad Level Manager/Scripts/Base/MadLevelProperty.cs:180)
    MadLevelManager.MadLevelProperty:set_propertyEnabled(Boolean) (at C:/01_projects/TrailMixOld/Assets/Mad Level Manager/Scripts/Base/MadLevelProperty.cs:74)
    MadLevelManager.MadLevelProperty:Start() (at C:/01_projects/TrailMixOld/Assets/Mad Level Manager/Scripts/Base/MadLevelProperty.cs:136)

26. genail

genail

Hello There!

Looks like in your icon template you have an empty "unlock on complete" element defined. Normally grid layout is adding a one element to "unlock on complete" list for all icons (except the last one). By default (in template or prefab) the list should have no elements to work properly.

If this is not the case, please let me know!

Cheers!
    Piotr

27. ButtReynolds

ButtReynolds

Ah yes, that was it. For some reason the template is adding the next level and two empty slots for the "unlock on complete" section. I deleted the empty slots and it works fine. Thanks again for the quick reply!

-Gabe

28. genail

genail

Great! :)
    Have fun!

29. genail

genail

Mad Level Manager 2.1.3 has been released!

Mad Level Manager 2.1.3 is now live! This release brings mostly bug fixes for Windows Phone 8 and one new feature.

New Features
    • You can now delay level loading or send message instead of load activated icon level
    Bug Fixes
    • Fixed MadFontData parsing on Windows Phone 8
    • Creating atlas do not longer change source textures read/write flag
    • MadSprite inspector couldn’t recalculate sprite live bounds when using atlases
    • MadSprite inspector could break in some cases when using atlases

30. san.daniele

san.daniele

great asset and exceptionally well written documentation!

I'm struggling with setting up the page arrows/slides. I can't seem to be able to resize them and it drives me crazy as this should be easy as hell. So easy that it probably isn't even mentioned in the documentation (at least I can't find it anywhere).

Im trying to work on them directly on the Panel under 'Templates'.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  31. genail

genail

Hello San Daniele,
    Thank you for writing!

Prefabs sizes are discarded by grid layout script. Maybe this is not the right way to do it, because I see it causes some confusion... I think I will solve it in a better way next version.

Please let me know if this solves your issue!
    Cheers!
    Piotr

32. san.daniele

san.daniele

aaah! that did the trick! As expected I feel stupid now and wonder how I could''ve missed this.
    Thanks a lot and keep up the wonderful work.

33. genail

genail

Hello There!
    I'm glad to hear that! :)

Have fun!
    Piotr

34. RedTofu

RedTofu

Hi! I'm using Mad Level Manager along with the Tower Defence Toolkit from asset store. I'm very new in programming. I followed your youtube video on creating level configuration. I have done all that and I got a nice and sharp grid layout with 30 levels.

I'm now stuck on unlocking the next level. I have no experience in coding so I'm not sure where to go from here :(. Say I have 30 different scenes (levels), how do I link to from level 1 to level 2? What do I have to put in my game scene in order to link to the Level Menu? Thank you so much for your help!

35. genail

genail

Hello RedTofu,
    Thank you for writing!

Normally completing the current level will unlock the next one. You can find how to complete a level (code snippet) in here. You may also want to look at how MadLevelTesterScene is working. The explanation about this scene can be found here.

Please write if you have any other questions! :)
    Cheers!
    Piotr

36. RedTofu

RedTofu

Thank you for your reply. I had a look already and it seems that after I complete the first level, it does not unlock the next one. I have followed like your MadLevelTesterScene.
    Say I have 2 game level scenes: 1-1 and 1-2
    I added manager object with MadLevelTesterController.cs script in my game scene (not sure if I'm doing this right)

In my game scene, there is already a game complete menu with buttons
    1-Back to Main Menu
    2-Restart
    3-Next Level

I want to the next level button direct back to the level select menu I created using MLM and of course with level 1-2 unlocked after finishing 1-1. How can I do this? I might be asking a silly and simple question here, but I am very new to unity. thanks a lot for your help!

37. genail

genail

First make sure that MadLevel.SetCompleted() is really executed. For this to know, put Debug.Log() near it. If it's not executed, then it should be simple to fix :)
    To get back to level select menu, simply execute MadLevel.LoadLevelByName("Level Select"); and replace "Level Select" with your level select level name from Mad Level Manager level configuration.

Don't worry about asking. Since you're new to Unity I assume that you should double-check your code by inserting Debug.Log() in it, because it is common issue for some code to be not reachable ;-)

Cheers!
    Piotr

38. RedTofu

RedTofu

Thanks for your quick reply. May I know where and how to execute the MadLevel.SetCompleted()? Is it the MadLevelTesterController Script I placed in my game scene?

39. genail

genail

You should be using the Controller script in your game.

You should put MadLevel.SetCompleted(MadLevel.currentLevelName, true); in the method that is executing in a moment when player completes a level and right before the next level (or level select screen) is loaded.

P.S. Remember not to use Application.LoadLevel() when you're using Mad Level Manager. Replace it with MadLevel.LoadLevelByName() instead and use level names from configurator instead of scene names/numbers. The code above should be placed somewhere before MadLevel.LoadLevelByName().

40. RedTofu

RedTofu

Thanks. So I assume I create an empty object in my game scene and rename it to "manager" like your example and I put in the controller script.

In my game I have a script like this when the level completes:

Code (CSharp):
    1. if(GUI.Button(new Rect(startX, startY, 100, 30), "Restart Level")){
    2.             Time.timeScale=1;
    3.             Application.LoadLevel(Application.loadedLevelName);
    4.         }
    5.         if(GUI.Button(new Rect(startX+=110, startY, 100, 30), "Main Menu")){
    6.             //if(mainMenu!=""){
    7.                 Time.timeScale=1;
    8.                 GameControl.LoadMainMenu();
    9.                 Application.LoadLevel("Menu Test");
    10.             //}
    11.         }
    12.         if((alwaysEnableNextButton || winLostFlag)){
    13.             if(GUI.Button(new Rect(startX+=110, startY, 100, 30), "Next Level")){
    14.                 if(nextLevel!=""){
    15.                     Time.timeScale=1;
    16.                     GameControl.LoadNextScene();
    17.                     Application.LoadLevel("Tower Defence Level Scene");
    18.                 }
    19.             }
    20.         }
    As you can see there are 3 buttons.
    1-Do I need to replace all Application.LoadLevel with MadLevel.LoadLevelByName()?
    2-In this case I want the last button to load the level scene created by MLM, so I simply replace it by MadLevel.LoadLevelByName("Tower Defence Level Scene")?
    3-Above that script I assume I put MadLevel.SetCompleted(MadLevel.currentLevelName, true) and it should do the trick?

Thanks!

41. genail

genail

Hello!

1. Yes
    2. Yes, but your name should match your level name from level configuration. Please verify that.
    3. If this code is executed only when player completes the level, then placing this code right before line 1 should do the trick :)

Cheers!
    Piotr

42. RedTofu

RedTofu

Thank you for your reply.
    As for issue (2), not all Application.LoadLevel() goes to the level select menu. Say one of the button links to the Main Menu instead of the level select menu. Do I have to create a separate configuration for that? Actually I only want the Next Level button to direct me to the level selection menu.

Also when I paste the code MadLevel.SetCompleted(MadLevel.currentLevelName, true) to the script as mentioned in issue(3), I get an error saying "MadLevelManager.MadLevel" does not contain a definition for "SetCompleted". Why's that?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  43. genail

genail

No, it all should be set in one configuration. Just add your main menu scene as another level of type Other.
    The best way is having all your scenes configured as levels (non-playable scenes should be of type Other).

Cheers!
    Piotr

44. RedTofu

RedTofu

Ok thanks!

How about when I paste the code MadLevel.SetCompleted(MadLevel.currentLevelName, true) to the script as mentioned in issue(3), I get an error saying "MadLevelManager.MadLevel" does not contain a definition for "SetCompleted". Why's that?

45. genail

genail

I'm sorry, my mistake! Should be MadLevelProfile.SetCompleted... :)

46. RedTofu

RedTofu

After I placed MadLevelProfile.SetCompleted... the level is unlocked but it seems like no matter if I win or lose the next level is unlocked...I guess I placed it at the wrong location... :(

47. genail

genail

You have to locate place in your code that is executed only when level is won. Then put SetCompleted() call in there :)

48. genail

genail

Mad Level Manager 2.2.0 is finally here! In this release we're proud to introduce a brand new animation system! upload_2014-8-13_17-2-0.gif

New Features
    • New animation system
    • Ability to setup conditional sprites (like different color medals)
    • Added OnTouchEnter and OnTouchExit animations
    • Added audio clip fields on animations
    Improvements
    • A lot easier icon setup GUI
    • Icon and slide templates are now placed next to generated icons to make things more readable
    • MadLevelIcon was forcing level number to be shown when level is unlocked. Changed this behavior to allow the user to decide.
    • Improved performance for scenes that are using atlases
    • Created new example scene
    • Sprite warning when using the same depth for different textures
    • Lot of small usability improvements
    • Icon level templates are hidden on the play mode
    Bug Fixes
    • Windows Phone 8: Fixed compilation error
    • Windows Store: Fixed crash on level select screens
    • Unity Remote: fixed touch issues

For those who might not know, for some time there's Mad Level Manager trial version available! Currently it is based on 2.1.4, and can be used only in editor, but this will be fixed soon enough!

Cheers!
    Piotr

49. san.daniele

san.daniele

I'm encountering a strange issue with the manager.
    It all worked fine, but at some point problems started in unlocking a certain level number. It's level #9 (if that matters). It just stays locked.
    Even if I rearrange the levels completely, it's always the ninth one that doesn't unlock in the level select screen. If I choose "next level" after completing #8, I can play #9 without problems and after completing that go on to #10 and continue (all levels after #9 unlock, it's just that one that stays locked).

It gets stranger:
    Lets say I clear level 8 and choose "next level". Level #9 starts. Now if I fail on level #9 and go back to the level select scene, all of the sudden #10 is unlocked. If I clear level #9, #10 AND #11 gets unlocked.

As mentioned above: it doesn't matter how I arrange my levels, it's always the 9th.
    Any ideas?
    I could rebuild my level configuration, but at some point I'm going to have hundreds of levels. If the issue arises again at that point it would be a hassle.

50. genail

genail

Hello San Daniele,
    Thank you for writing!

What version of Mad Level Manager are you using?
    Does the same happens in the example scenes?
    Do you use grid or free layout? If grid then is your Setup Method set to Generate or Manual? (link)

Please confirm that you don't have template icon visible on your scene. In most cases it lies under the panel and it is enabled by default. In 2.2.0 it is hidden when you enter the play mode.

Please try to reset your profile using the Profile Tool.

Please attach screenshot of your configuration (hierarchy, layout inspector) if none of above helps.

Cheers!
    Piotr