Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac OS fullscreen problem (retina display)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JeppeCarlsen, Dec 16, 2013.

1. JeppeCarlsen

JeppeCarlsen

Hi

On the latest Macbook with a Retina display, there is a problem with fullscreen in Mac OS standalone. If you set the "Mac OS fullscreen" player setting to "capture screen", the standalone will only render a corner of the actual game screen.

Note: If the Unity editor runs in the background, the standalone for some reason manages to render correctly.

Also, if you use Cmd+f to go in and out of fullscreen, it renders correctly.

Some of my costumers have who have reported this 'broken fullscreen' issue, and I would therefore like to look into a patch.

Options:
    - Wait for Unity to fix the issue
    - Change the Mac OS fullscreen mode to "Fullscreen Window", which limits the user to desktop resolution. Also, it seems like you can now choose "stretched" resolutions.
    - Hack "go out of and back into fullscreen" into the code, when the game initialises.

Any thoughts?

Also, what is the recommended Mac OS fullscreen player setting?

2. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Hey Jeppe,

This sounds like a bug. Did you file one yet?

That said, I would generally recommend using the Fullscreen Window mode, which generally interacts better with Mac OS X, and is more in conformance with Apple's guidelines. The reasons we still support Capture Display mode is that the APIs we use for windowed fullscreen mode require 10.7 (but we still support 10.6, on which Unity automatically uses Capture Display mode, regardless of setting), and that on macs with slow GPUs and big screens, the upscaling can be a performance issue (think old Mac Minis with big external screens). I think we will likely deprecate this mode in the future and we might remove it when we drop 10.6 support.

jonas

3. JeppeCarlsen

JeppeCarlsen

Yup, I send a bug report.

Thank you for your suggestion. I might patch my game to use Fullscreen Window instead.