Search Unity

Lux-an-open-source-physically-based-shading-framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by larsbertram1, Mar 19, 2014.

1. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

you are welcome ;-)

2. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

thanks ;-)

3. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hey lars

I am wondering what controls the detail normal map in the terrain shader? On some splats it is there but on others there is no detail normal map.

4. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

you simply add the detail normals like you would do when using the regular terrain shader (bumped specular) in the painting tab.

5. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I mean the detail normal map in the actual Lux material. Right under FresnelStrength.

6. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

lux does not offer any fresnel strength parameter...

7. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I am not asking correctly.

I am wondering about the Detail Normal Map below the Terrain Normal Map. It works on most of my terrains but on some it only shows the normal on certain splats.

8. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

ups, could not remember many details about the terrain shader, sorry.
    as far as the "detail normal map" is concerned: this is a normal that get mixed with the normal of splat texture 3 (splat color blue). all other detail splats are nor effected.

so: showing up the "detail normal map" only on certain splats is correct.

does that help you?

lars

9. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Oh okay. Thanks. Is there a way to get it to work on the other splats?

10. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

well, you would have to edit the shader.
    find (line 228):
    o.Normal = lerp(o.Normal, normal1, splat_control.b);
    and tweak it to your likings like:
    o.Normal = lerp(o.Normal, normal1, splat_control.b + splat_control.a );

that would fade in the detail normal for splat 3 and splat 4.
    it does not really make sense to blend it on any splat: grass might look pretty weird e.g.
    but if you have 2 different rock textures you might go the way described above.

lars

11. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thank you. I am going to use a weaker normal map and lower the tiling of it. Will look decent and hide any repeating texture pattern. Thanks again

12. Project-Mysh

Project-Mysh

Sry about that, I mean, your computer.... Im testing it on my laptop and its working fine. Anyway here you have an screenshot comparison ( I wanted to show it in the web player cause its how i want to publish my assests on the store):

Lux:
    Lux1.jpg

Custom shader in Shader Forge:
    Lux2.jpg

How are the first impresions? As I said before, in comparison Lux shader looks more realistic, but Shader Forge custom is more impressive. Lux is using Metalness shader and both are in Deferred.

P.D: Both are using the same probes. The blur was aplied later.

13. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,
    it looks that shader forge adds more ambient reflection... but on the other hand i can’t really tell:
    shadows are different (so the directional light will be differrent) and may be even some things more.
    best would be to put them to the same scene and capture them side by side.

lars

14. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

p.s. why do you use the lux metalness shader?
    isn’t shader forger using specular refelectivity like skyshop?

lars

15. Project-Mysh

Project-Mysh

Thanks Lars for all of your feedback,

Im Using Metalness shader casue my plans are to include Metalness and Specular Reflectivity workflow on the assets and actually only Lux have it ( but maybe in Unity 5...). Anyways I switched to specular reflectivity as you said.

P.D: using the latest version of GitHub and unity 4.5.2f1.

P.D2: Another bug i found: changing BlinnPhong or CookTorrence is not working in Deferred rendedring.

Comparison:

Custom shader forge:
    Lux1.jpg

LUX:
    Lux2.jpg

I think there is more spec detail in the custom shader at the center of the wheel, but the quality level its ok in both. There is one last question, can I use LUX in my asset packages to bring a demo scene? (ofc I will use LUX logo on all images using Lux shaders)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  16. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,
    cook torrance and blinn phong SHOULD work in deferred – at least they do for me.
    AO works for me too. you have to make sure, that ao is in the alpha channel though.
    metalness is used by jove 2 and alloy as far as i know.
    and of course you can include lux in your package.

lars

17. Project-Mysh

Project-Mysh

Hi Lars,

Have you get view dependent roughness working on lux shaders? I was trying to fake it with a fresnel, but it's very hard. I think depth it's involved, but i dont know.
    rsz_screen_shot_2013-03-27_at_184510.jpg

18. PartyD0nut

PartyD0nut

I've got a question about the enviroment probes. Is there a way to create multiple spheres and have them auto assign to object's in a certain range? Because at the moment when i create one sphere it automatically assigns to the setup lux script, but when i create a second one it simply replaces the previous one. From what i gathered from Sébastien Lagarde presentation and ue4.0, you would use the probes to sample multiple area's instead of having one generic sphere for your whole scene.

19. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,
    in order to achieve local probes you will have to assign local cubemaps to the given materials. those overwrite the global assigned cubemaps.
    please have a look at the lux environment probe script (that you would need to create box projected probes anyway).
    and a few pages back in this thread someone published a script that automatiocally assigns local probes based on distance. however: no blending between probes so far...

lars

20. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

i think it is based on the view direction rather than depth (just like its name says...).
    but i have not given it a try so far.

lars

21. x_african_warrior_x

x_african_warrior_x

thx lars
    Unity 2014-11-03 05-23-29-24.jpg Unity 2014-11-05 00-37-57-23.jpg Unity 2014-11-03 04-10-26-40.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    Eric2241 and Baldinoboy like this.
  22. PartyD0nut

PartyD0nut

Thanks for the quick-reply, however the method as you described would assign the cubemaps to the material as a whole not just to the object that's closest to the probe? If so that would cause some inconsistencies because say for example a tile-able asset used in multiple scene's with the same material would then inherit the first reflection cube from scene a, and would look out of place in scene b. The only way around this i suppose is adding the reflection cubes to the objects on run time, but that would cause the second problem of every material becoming it's own instance and breaking static batching?

And i was aware of the cubemap assign script, i was wondering however for simple reflection probes.

23. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

you are absolutely right: local cubemaps and static batching or shared materials are a "problem".
    so if you want to assign a local cubemap you should instantiate (or duplicate...) the material.
    when using tileable-assets i would recommend to create different texture atlases combining some of the assets based on their position and the need for local cubemaps.
    nevertheless: local cubemaps will raise the number of drawcalls.

lars

24. PartyD0nut

PartyD0nut

Guess texture atlases would be the most viable solution considering we were planning on that anyway. Got another small question are you planning on creating area lights, or is that something that unity won't allow? Cause point light reflections look kind of funky haha.

Again thanks for all the work and keeping up with everyone, can't be said enough.

25. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

right now i do not have plans to integrate area lights as uniyt does not allow to store any information about the "size" right now.
    there are other packages which calculate area lights as post effect.
    and other that do it somehow – at least as feature preview ;-)

26. PartyD0nut

PartyD0nut

Hmm bummer figured as much nothing we can do about that, thanks anyway. And I suppose you're talking about the GI system from the Livenda guys :p?

27. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

yes – and about the unite presentation of shader forge...

28. PartyD0nut

PartyD0nut

Yeah he actually had a youtube video at the start showcasing a spherical shaped light, so apparently hes had it for a while. And i'm seconding the view dependent roughness, though i have no idea how it's done. Maybe depending on the viewing angle blend the roughness with a gray color? Don't know how that holds up with different materials though.

Nonetheless if i find anything i'll be sure to share :).

29. HemiMG

HemiMG

I just downloaded Lux from the Github, but there doesn't seem to be a demo scene for the wetness shader. Or a demo scene for anything for that matter. The one on the asset store has the demo scene, but it doesn't have the wetness shader. Am I missing something somewhere? The asset store package was much larger than the Git download. So I feel like there's something else I should be grabbing from somewhere.

30. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,
    you are right, there is no real demo scene for the wetness shaders in the repo but just some demo assets:
    Lux / Demos / 02 Lux Wetness Assets /
    this folder contains textures and a fbx file with vertex colors.
    problems setting it up?

lars

31. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Might want to include some wetness sample scene, since it's bit confusing to setup

hopeful and x_african_warrior_x like this.
  32. p87

p87

what are the capabilities of the terrain shader? any examples, screenshots, docs anywhere?

33. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

p87 likes this.
  34. XRA

XRA

are there any tricks to getting Box Projection working?
    I went through the steps of adding the LuxEnvProbe to a game object, set the bounds/scale.. assigned my mesh renderers to it with the box projection shader. also have setupLux on an object as well. It looks like i'm just getting a specular blob that moves with me (beneath the camera)

35. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

as far as i can say: no tricks are needed as it just works.
    i suppose that you have downloaded the latest version from github?

lars

36. zenGarden

zenGarden

Thanks lars for Lux terrain :)
    It looks gorgeous in Unity Free (this is an oldest Lux version test on examples below)

Lux + FxLab bloom

Tree foliage

The last version has no examples at all :(
    Could it be possible to adapt last version to the terrain and PBS demos scenes ?
    Also could it be possible to have some complete human example with all textures for the shaders ? (i didn't find how to make human shader skin to work , some texture example would help)

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    Baldinoboy likes this.
  37. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Trying Lux - PBS with Quxiel model. Ligthing with a physcially based sky and 1 directional light .

Note: The model is from Quixel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    Baldinoboy likes this.
  38. zenGarden

zenGarden

The metal effect is not very pronounced and looks more like traditionnal metal representation using diffuse and specular maps as this is the shader you use also .

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  39. scuglik

scuglik

Hi guys and thank you lars for amazing shaders.
    I have one question. I try to make some scene at underground garage and when I use lux shader I get noisy and grainy specularity. I am begginer in PBR texturing and maybe I do something wrong, but I cant solve this issue by myself.

Problem appears when I disable IBL specular cubemap in material. When i set cubemap or let cubemap empty, shader is ok. I am using deferred lighting without direct3d 11. Lux hdr_scale is 0. And not every pc has this problem.

Is it ok to use direct3d 11 option in builder? Because it solve problem but I guess it will make new problems.
    Thank you for any advice.

40. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

that might be a driver problem... so nothing i can solve, sorry.
    just choose a way that works for you,

lars

41. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

I figured out that I didn't do the Probes correctly from previous post. Here is the remake version.
    No Tonemapping needed.

Note: The model is from Quixel

[Edit] I try to build a Webplayer, but Unity was hanging at "Building assets for scene 0" process .
    Can't build the Webplayer at the moment. I'm using Mac and Unity hangs with "UnityShaderCompiler" in Active Monitor)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  42. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,
    exporting a built usually takes some time (about 30 – 45 min) as unity has to compile all shader variants.
    you can get around this by editing the shader code:
    - comment: #pragma multi_compile ...
    - uncomment: #define ...
    please have a look at the docs for further details.

lars

43. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

I see, didn't expect it takes about 30 – 45 min to build. Thanks for the tips.
    Love your Lux Physically Based Shaders a lot :)

44. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

thanks!
    and 30 - 45 min used to be the regular import time – just before unity 4.3 brought the new shader compiler that only compiles the currently needed versions.

45. zenGarden

zenGarden

@lars:
    Will you make some new demos for the last version on Git ?

46. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

may be...

47. zenGarden

zenGarden

I meaned mainly for the skin shader as it didn't worked as there wasn't textures and materials setup; and if you can just copy back the old terrain exemple demo with tree and grass to the latest version. Thanks.

48. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,
    i have added a demo head (.obj) and the related textures to the github repo next to a short description.
    so it should not be a problem to get the skin shader to work.

unfortunately i can’t add complete scenes or setups to the repo as it is just a collection of files: not a unity project.

lars

49. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

If you enable meta files then you can have complete scenes and setups. If you don't want to clog the main repo with meta files, you could always have a separate repo for examples.

50. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

thanks for the hint. i will have a look into it.