Search Unity

Low quality shaders rendering due to free version ?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Magnesium, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Magnesium

Magnesium

Hello,
    I've been consulting a lot of tutorials and informations about shaders in unity and i can't seem to get a really good texture rendering. Bump maping looks really simple and unappealing. I was wondering if this is due to my free version of unity, if it is limitations from unity all together or if i'm simply not doign it right.

I'm looking for this kind of really cool bump mapping effect :

All i could achieve is this, which looks pretty pathetic :

My normal map looks pretty good in crazy bump and is set correctly as normal map in import settings.
    What am i doing wrong ?

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

3. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

Maps generated from single sources are pretty much always terrible. It is not generally possible to infer correct material data from one picture.

However, one feature Unity's built-in shaders are missing which you see in your first image is parallax occlusion mapping. You can find shaders for Unity that have this effect, though.

4. Farfarer

Farfarer

It looks you want a parallax shader, not just a normal map shader.

So you'll need a height map to actually make the surface feel displaced.

And don't use CrazyBump for that stuff, the results you'll get won't be good enough to make the effect look good. If you really want good results, sculpt and bake the height and normal maps, or at least try better, newer software like Knald or nDO.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah, this is a technique that doesn't require unity pro, but good maps. Assuming you're using the built in parallax shader.

6. Magnesium

Magnesium

I tried adding a height map but it seems to make no difference on my sphere. The material looks find in the inspector tough, but terrible in the actual game.