Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Low Poly Series: Landscape

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Stoolfeather, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Stoolfeather

Stoolfeather

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. Xhale1

Xhale1

This looks amazing. I'm currently working on a low poly game and I love the lighting in your demo. Any way I can get my hands on a demo scene, or if you could share some tips. Thanks a bunch. By the way, your work looks amazing, nice job.

3. Stoolfeather

Stoolfeather

Thanks a lot!!! Ill be making a lot more assets for this series.

The asset pack will be available in the Unity Asset Store shortly. It comes with the assets and this demo scene.

As far as lighting goes it's quite simple, just a single directional light. I baked the the Recomputed Realtime GI to give the scene some bounce lighting and spent a lot of time getting the skybox, ambient light and post process tones looking good. The project uses deffered lighting with HDR enabled on the camera.

Post process is where the look really comes together. I use tone mapping and color grading, AO, Screen Space Reflections, Bloom, and DOF.

I can post some workflow screenshots if you like.

Thanks again for the kind words!

red2blue likes this.
  4. Xhale1

Xhale1

Thanks for the tips,

I used most of those methods to improve my scene, but there is one aspect that I can't seem to get right. Your scene appears to be glowing, bathed in a pink-ish light. I attached a screenshot of one portion of your screenshot that shows what I mean. The mountains in the background seem to be glowing from the light of a sun. I first thought it was a form of fog, but that's not exactly it. Any tips regarding this, or perhaps giving me a term to google, would be greatly appreciated.

Also, when looking at the clouds in the distant sky, you can see the same effect. As if they are ever so slightly blending into the skybox.

Thanks,
    -Xhale

Attached Files:

5. DeXoN

DeXoN

This is very artistic indeed.

Stoolfeather likes this.
  6. Stoolfeather

Stoolfeather

Thanks a lot!! :D

7. Stoolfeather

Stoolfeather

The glowing pinkish light is due to a very saturated and bright ambient light. It makes the scene look quite silly before a GI bake. Here it is pre-bake and the setting I used.

Once the GI bake is complete it looks very different. I also use a strong bounce from my directional light to get secondary lighting. This is my directional light and my lighting settings:

The post does a lot of the work too, here's a before and after post. I use Unity's Cinematic Effects pack and the scene is used HDR cameras to take advantage of tonemapping.

As for the clouds, they use the standard shader but have their emissive boosted up to override the shadows produced by the lighting. Not a great solution for having changing time of day, but you could animate that emissive vale/color to match.

Hope that answers your questions.

red2blue likes this.
  8. Stoolfeather

Stoolfeather

I also did a night lighting pass:

DevMember and RavenOfCode like this.
  9. josehzz112

josehzz112

The fire effect looks really good on that last screenshot, would like to see that animation on the trailer :)

Stoolfeather likes this.
  10. da_st

da_st

Looks really nice, i especially like the look of the pine trees :)

Stoolfeather likes this.
  11. Stoolfeather

Stoolfeather

Thanks!!! I forgot to post the night time trailer:

RavenOfCode and josehzz112 like this.
  12. Crykask

Crykask

How did you do low-poly terrain? Did you model it outside of Unity or somehow get the Unity Terrain to look like that? This is a really nice pack. I'm thinking of buying it for one of my future projects.

13. Stoolfeather

Stoolfeather

Hey Crykask,

All the models were created with 3D studio Max and the pack comes with all source files. I would have liked to use actual Terrain, but you cant get that low poly look with the built in tools. That being said there is an awesome toolset on the asset store that allows you to get this look. I haven't used it myself, but it looks pretty solid, check it out: Poly World

14. Stoolfeather

Stoolfeather

Here's a shot of the terrain assets.

15. FreeFly90

FreeFly90

The campfire in the trailer is something out of mind, the effect is absolutely perfect, I love it :) I'd definitely buy a game that uses such great assets.

Stoolfeather likes this.
  16. Stoolfeather

Stoolfeather

Thanks so much!! :D

17. Autonoma

Autonoma

So the terrain assets tile together? If they did, that would be awesome :)

18. Stoolfeather

Stoolfeather

They don't tile to be exact, but they do intersect well together. I am working on an update with tilable terrain pieces.

19. Stoolfeather

Stoolfeather

20. Stoolfeather

Stoolfeather

UPDATED
    I recently added a massive modular terrain update. 133 fully tillable assets perfect for creating large and seamless low poly terrains. The update contains the following:

Terrain Modular Assets
    - 4 Cliff Edges
    - 34 modular Cliff assets
    - 9 Dirt and Dirt Glass assets
    - 10 modular Grass assets
    - 22 modular River assets
    - 54 modular Road assets

DevMember, 00Fant and RavenOfCode like this.
  21. Zymes

Zymes

Looks really good. Are there hills in this pack? And maybe some lion king cliffs would be nice.

22. CitrusA

CitrusA

Wow, these models are amazing. Good job!

23. Psol

Psol

Screenshot_20170305-173500.png Strange graphic glitch on the apk demo

24. brodan100105

brodan100105

man, i cant even begin to understand how to make stuff like this. Do you work alone? I do. I dont even know how to make the animations like you did in your little clip up above. Could you explain to me in a general sense to how you did it?