Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost Cause - A multiplayer survival game using Oculus Rift (Project Thread)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by nostalgicbear, Jan 20, 2015.

1. nostalgicbear

nostalgicbear

***Update***

Hi guys,
    This is just a brief update to let you know what stage we are at with our game. At this stage, we've just completed our degrees and so we feel that now is a good time to share what we have done so far. For those of you that don't know, Lost Cause is a multiplayer survival game played via the Oculus Rift where players main objective is to collect resources to survive.

An updated feature set can be found below
    • Oculus Rift compatibility
    • Multiplayer compatible via the Photon Network
    • Custom Built Inventory
    • Ability to craft a number of tools and weapons
    • A variety of different animals and AI
    • Construction system allowing players to build a variety of structures
    • Ability to travel to other islands via a raft
    • Day/Night cycle
    • Durability for tools and weapons
    • Can equip/de-equip tools and weapons
    • Custom made combat system
    • Dynamic user interface to manage player vitals such as thirst, hunger, stamina, health etc (all UI is developed to work with the rift)
    • Traps
    • Puzzles
    • Visual feedback elements (eg a reticle for player actions like chopping, mining etc)
    • Main menu screen that works via Oculus Rift
    • Discoverable storyline
    • 3D player model rigged with animations for all actions
    • Tutorial section to help players learn controls
    • Fully interactive game world
    • Ability to collect a range of resources (eg wood, stone etc)
    • Xbox 360 controller support
    • Audio effects and background music
    Included below is a short video that will introduce you to some key concepts of the game.

Please show your support on Reddit
    http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/34wct9/lost_cause_oculus_rift_final_year_project/

We would love for any feedback other Unity developers can give. Whether its to do with the game, the video, the reddit post, or anything even remotely related to the project, we appreciate it. Also, if you have any questions , we would be more than happy to answer. We hope you enjoy the game. If the game attracts enough interest, we will happily provide a build for you to play.

We hope you enjoy the game.
    Stephen & Jamie

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    twitchyvr likes this.
  2. Juchas

Juchas

Hey Guys It looks like a really cool project !
    Good job !

I wanted to do something similar and I was looking for a sample with a combination of Unity + oculus + photon ...
    Do you know any tutorial or something that I could use to learn how to combine those three elements into one ?

Once again your project looks really cool !!!!

Cheers
    Piotr

3. nostalgicbear

nostalgicbear

Hi Piotr,
    We found it really difficult to find any material, let alone any good material. Everything we learned, we learned from piecing things together ourselves from different tutorials.

4. lexiivc

lexiivc

Hi nostalgicbear
    I'm a bit of a noob and took up learning Unity about 3 months ago. I had problems setting up the multiplayer/networking with oculus and was hoping to get some answers by the community by now. Could you point me in the right direction?

I followed this youtube series but hit problems half way through when two spawned players have conflicting controls

5. twitchyvr

twitchyvr

I believe there needs to be more projects like this. Multiplayer solutions and scenarios within the VR world needs to be explored because there are so many different ways of handling these types of games, it could be a terrible experience if there is lag or network update jitter for instance to put it simply.

I am very interested in following your project and would like to offer input and testing f you wish. I am very inexperienced with serious code, so if there are issues I likely wouldn't have much input as to what to look at/for. That may or may not be a good thing depending on your needs.

This is exciting for a few reasons, but I am an older IT guy who has started looking into doing more and more C# projects mostly because of PowerShell bringing me into that world. Then I got Visual Studio licensing through work's agreements and now that Unity is out, I have a minimal grasp on how to create the most basic projects. It's enough to keep me busy for a long time at the hobbyist level.

Given the above, I am the exact type of person who would be grateful for any development ideas, teaching/tutorials, or just being able to follow your processes and see what a small team can accomplish with an organized approach. Already I have found the documentation you provided to be very useful in laying out my own projects at the high-level before really worrying about specific details. Sometimes it's easy to get stuck on not knowing for example in my case how to add something like the Oculus 3d Audio plugin (that would be very cool if you did by the way).

At any rate, I will be looking at your project and following your work! This is very cool and thank you for contributing to the community!

6. nostalgicbear

nostalgicbear

Hey guys, sorry I havnt gotten back to you until now. We've just recently graduated with our degrees, so I havnt been overly active on this until recently. If you have any questions about Photon or about Oculus Rift development, feel free to message me privately and Ill try help as best I can.

7. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Great Job, Stephen!! The game looks awesome. I hope that you will continue development.