Search Unity

Looking for some help on where to start with a turnbased multiplayer game...

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by drew_s, Dec 30, 2014.

1. drew_s

drew_s

Just a little background. I've been in the software industry for about 10 years now. I've written 1 game in Cocos2D (no multiplayer) and started dabbing in Unity recently. I have absolutely NO experience with netcode and online multiplayer.

The game I'm working on now, I already have it working where I can have 1-4 players playing on one device. It's just a turn based game, kind of like a board game, where 1 person goes, and his score updates, then the next person goes and the score updates, etc.

Now I'd like to possibly consider adding online multiplayer.

I've been googling "turn based unity" multiplayer and I am kind of lost as to exactly what I am looking for. I came across the PUN addon, then I saw there is a Photon Turnbased addon that is specific to turnbased games it appears. However I tried downloading their demo and sample code, and tried to deploy it to the iPhone simulator, but since I am using the free version of Unity, it would not let me deploy to iOS, only to the webplayer and inside of Unity.

So I then did a little more googling and came across the Google Play Services Turnbased Plugin for Unity:

https://github.com/playgameservices/play-games-plugin-for-unity/blob/master/TBMP.md

After looking at that, I am a bit confused if I can just use that plugin and have it deploy to both iOS and Android. I primarily want to develop to iOS, and then try to get it to deploy to Android.

Also it appears with the GPS, you need a google+ account, which I'm kind of trying to steer clear of if I can, especially being an iOS game.

Ideally, I would just like to be able to play games with either random people, or allow the user to invite people from their Facebook friends.

I am just kind of at a loss as to where to start with looking at this at this point. I'm also having trouble finding tutorials or information on how to do the netcode for a turnbased game.

I was just curious if anyone could point me in the direction as someone who is a total noob to this stuff.

Thanks.

2. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

3. Robiwan

Robiwan

@drew_s did you find anything here? We are basically looking for the same thing as you

4. Bonny1992

Bonny1992