Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for Free Tutor for Unity (free version)

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by ShadowstarXIII, Feb 20, 2015.

1. ShadowstarXIII

ShadowstarXIII

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could be a tutor for me and help me get the basics of unity down so I can go off and make whatever I want without too much trouble, I am new to this so sorry if I don't understand things all the time. I've watched some live tutorials but I'm not really getting the gist of things with those and it would be much better if I had someone to help me through these things step by step and also they're really long videos and I don't have the time to watch a lot of hour long videos. I'm using the free version because the pro version is out of my budget and I would rather have the free version. So if you're interested in tutoring me please do because this is something I want to get into and make a career out of and just make games that I can play around with my friends on.

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

If you don't have time to watch the learn section beginner tutorials you don't have time for one on one tutoring. Unity is not a programme you can become an expert in in a couple of hours.

If you can't afford pro you probably also cannot afford a professional tutor.

Best bet is to do the learn section videos, then browse around on YouTube. There is bound to be a video series somewhere you can click with.

3. ShadowstarXIII

ShadowstarXIII

I was afraid someone would say that. I say I don't have time for the live sessions because he keeps putting off things that he's going to talk about and then he doesn't and the videos are about an hour long each and by the time its done I'm left confused, one on one would be an easier learning experience so I can go at my own pace and the person would be directly talking to me and taking me through the steps instead of me having to go through video tutorials. Also the video tutorials I see are outdated and go back to 2013 or even father, and I'm not asking for a professional tutor, I'm just asking for someone who could spend a couple of hours with me for a week or 2 just so I can get the basic understanding and know how to use the program to a certain extent. And Unity pro is $1500 and I don't have $1500 lying around so that's why I can't afford it. Also I don't have a job because I'm still in high school and am just getting to an age where I can have a job (almost 16).

4. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

Perhaps there are a few Unity users in the area where you live. Maybe you can hook up with a couple of others to learn the ropes.

5. ShadowstarXIII

ShadowstarXIII

Nice idea. How would I find that out?

6. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

Some communities have a registry of user groups for various software applications. Or maybe approach a local college that possibly teaches that kind of thing. I use Blender a bit and found out there is a Blender User Group that meets only a block from where I work. You just have to search around a bit.

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Try facebook. Do a search for Unity and your local town.

I'm not talking about the live sessions. Those tend to be aimed at the intermediate level. I'm talking about the beginner tutorials in the learn section. Try Roll-A-Ball, the beginner editor ones, and the beginner scripting ones.

Specifically these links

http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/roll-a-ball
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/editor (Beginner section)
    http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/scripting (Beginner section)

I'd love to personally tutor every user that asks, but there just isn't the time.

8. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Check my signature