Search Unity

Video Preview For the APP STORE (Submitted) REVENGE RUN!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by 8bitCartridge, Oct 8, 2014.

?

For a first game ever made by me... How would you rate it? (no sympathy please)

1. 1

2. 2

3. 3

4. 4

5. 5

6. I don't play video games!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

hey guys,

This is my first game (ever) soon to be released in the App store, I am a team of one, I am the developer and the artist. This is a 2D Infinite Runner type of game for iOS... what do you guys think? Please comment, criticize and suggest :)

the video is a little choppy cuz I recorder from my screen in the Unity, but overall you can see the idea... I integrated GameCenter, Leaderboard, and EveryPlay - so you could record and share your replays.
    There is more variety to it as you progress (different platforms with different physics) but i just wanted to show the general idea.

Here is the video:

any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated, by the way that bar at the top - if you get it full by jumping on spears you get a POINTS MULTIPLIER + 1

OboShape and GarBenjamin like this.
  2. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

eehhh not even one comment? if its garbage - just say so! :D

3. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

better video quality 720p

GarBenjamin likes this.
  4. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

This is the best, most interesting, Infinite Runner game I have seen yet.

It has a great atmosphere, excellent graphics, a lot going on with the multi-level platforms as well as cool looking weapons flying across the screen.

Based on the videos you have done an outstanding job. Congrats!

8bitCartridge likes this.
  5. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

WOW :D:D:D THANK YOU!!! That means a lot! I've been working on it for over 7 months now, did everything from scratch no templates nothing, just have been watching Unity Live Training tutorials :) thanks a lot bro!!!

6. casimps1

casimps1

Not bad. Also looks relatively polished.

If anything, I'd say that it might be too easy. From the video it looks like it wouldn't be that hard to continue on indefinitely.
    I'd say make sure that it eventually gets to a point where it becomes near impossible to get further. An infinite runner needs to hit that point since the world itself is endless.

People worry a lot about a game being too hard, but too easy can be just as bad. If you can play so long that players get bored and quit (instead of dying) then it needs to be harder.

7. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

Thank you for your reply casimps1! I really appreciate it! The "difficult gameplay" part I already took care of, what you see in the video is the easiest part of the game (easiest platforms), a little bit further I have platforms that move and tilt by themselves and platforms that are effected if character jumps on them, by doing so platforms collide with "enemies" (spears and that wheel at the top) and change their direction constantly -- they dont fly in a straight line anymore... basically its a mayhem over there :) trust me I wouldn't make an easy game, I am a fan of hard or almost impossible games to beat. I just want the player to feel like its easy in the beginning and also let him/her get couple of point multipliers - so that way it would be a pain in the a-- to die and make them use that continue to carry on. (continues are consumables IAP)
    Thank again man! :)

8. stoilcho

stoilcho

Like casimps1 said - it's looking alright. Nice and polished. I'm digging the wolf/rat hybrid :) But IMO you didn't get much comments because it's a looks like a pretty standard experience. By the looks of it you've already invested a bunch of time in game mechanics/UI. I'd say you need to focus on getting some interesting content in there and maybe finetuning the gameplay to make it unique. Easier said than do - I know. But that endless river of identical spears gets real boring, real fast. I'd go for more quirky stuff in there. Idunno, you have to mix it up a bit. Good luck!

9. 1HpLeft

1HpLeft

Hello

Really nice work, everything seem good and you can be really proud.
    But since you ask for comments :
    - How much fonts do you use ? I counted like 3-4 , I think a game shouldn't use more than 2 fonts.
    - When the text multiplicator "2x" appear on screen , it's get bigger & bigger and at the end we can see the pixel , maybe it should get transparent faster before getting to big ( I'm not really clear ^^)
    -The sheep doesn't have the same style as the wolf ( you can see shadow and light on the wolf and not on the sheep)
    ( It's just minor stuffs , I'm just being picky)

It's look really great ^^

10. OboShape

OboShape

Looking pretty good so far. like the idea with a wolf chasing the sheep :)
    also like the BG choon you have there too. it has that sort of beat that you expect it to up the tempo when you get to a different sort of platform/area transision.

keep it up, looking forward to seeing how you progress :)

11. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

thank you for your reply dude!! I really appreciate it! And I couldn't agree with you more... something is missing, the "fun" "quirky" stuff... I've been trying to come up with something for so long now. Either other characters to play as, maybe costumes (but then again everyother game got that as well), special powers.. I thought maybe ill make him catch up to that sheep at some point and either eat it or ride it. Thats the MOST difficult part - making it unique.
    Again thank you for your reply bro!

12. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

Thank you for your comments man! Thats exactly what I'm looking for! Yea the sheep needs more work + i purchased "bahhh" sounds didnt get a chance to add them. and you are correct about fonts and point multiplier animation - those will be changed before the release. But I'm really glad you like how it looks overall :D THANK YOU! means a lot since this is my first game...ever... thanx to UNITY!!!

13. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

Thank you for your reply bro! platforms will change with the BG choon, its still work in progress :) . I'm glad that people like how it looks - must be doing something right :)
    Thanks again bro!!

14. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

hey guys, what do you think about this NIGHT MODE with snow? I thought It could be right before the most difficult part starts...
    VIDEO: (480p please :) )

...and yes yes.. Im still working on something unique for the game :)

GarBenjamin likes this.
  15. Darkays

Darkays

Looking really good! Especially for your first game ever! It is awesome that you are close to completing your first game, I know you are really proud. A lot of people don't make it to this point, nice job!

I agree that there needs to be some more variety in the obstacles, seeing the same spears over and over is taxing... Maybe try adding other weapons to dodge? Like a mace? or a sword?

Also in regards to making the game "unique", some ideas could be powerups that you can pick up that change things like the speed or if you die right away could be interesting. Another idea is if getting to a certain multiplier and that changes variables. Basically, look at the variables you have now and experiment with pushing them to the limits to see if that can bring about interesting ideas.

It is looking very nice and I wish you luck on all of your endeavors!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  16. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

Thanks for good ideas Darkays! I actually just purchased graphics of weapons... and how weird is that -- they are actually swords and maces and other stuff there too :) I am also trying to integrate special powers, something like Hauduken - so it would fly through the screen and destroy all of the "enemies" on the screen. Another thing I just did.. I changed controls, so now I can jump and also instantiate platforms if needed, because I want to have small areas where all of the platforms stop spawning and you have to rely on platforms that you have (collected?) to build a path for yourself... ehh I don't know. Unique/unusual/interesting part is the most difficult one.
    but then again... look at flappy bird and how well it did.... go figure.
    Thanks again man!

Darkays likes this.
  17. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

just trying out new stuff... in this video i wanted to try to show a powerup bonus -- which is basically god-mode and you destroy all incoming enemies... and another thing what im trying to do is that at some point in the game all of the platforms will STOP spawning and you gotta rely on spears/arrow/or just simple sticks to make your way across

any comments ? suggestions? .. I know there are too many spears on the screen to be using the powerup, but i just wanted to show it :)

thanx for watching if u watching :) and if u not grrrrrr.. its ok :p

18. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

i've been working on power ups and other stuff which I will save for later ;) (hopefully ill upload a video this weekend) but for now I wanted to share with you some improvements that I've made with lighting and snow (more like a blizzard now)
    please take a look and let me know what you think! Cheers!

video is terrible quality as usual :/ wonderful youtube

GarBenjamin likes this.
  19. Zybox-Gaming

Zybox-Gaming

I think this could do well if you add some more components and challenges to the game. you might want to think about adding a reward system in which the player can work towards or something alike. Use jetpack joyride to get some ideas if you are not sure what to add. Great game for a first attempt, keep it up.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  20. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

For me it was kind of looking like a fun little game, until in the first video the player died, and then there was a huge gush of blood... like why?

21. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

Thank you Zybox! I am currently working on adding different challenges, enemies, and power up, almost done with powerups (he will fly a UFO further down in the game - thats just one of them) I am thinking about adding a reward system, I was also looking at Jetpack joyride, banana kong, ham run... theres a lot of them and for sure I dont want to collect any coins or any bananas or anything of that nature (thats in EVERY GAME), so I was thinking it will be based on points. For example: if you get over 3k - you get a free continue or a random powerup to use in the game, 4-5k you get a random hat or a combination 1continue + hat.. something like that. But it would take me another 6 months to finish all of that, its only me here... well me and Unity :) I'm already thinking about putting this on kickstarter so I could hire another developer and maybe an artist as well.
    Anyways glad you liked it.. for a first attempt :)

22. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

haha why NOT?? I would wanna see that in a game - thats why I made it :)

23. Zybox-Gaming

Zybox-Gaming

You might have to put an age restriction on the game if it has blood ;)

24. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

One of the infinite runners i actually like is nun attack run and gun. So I looked at it again and it seems your missing coins, powerups, maybe something for the player to unlock (extra characters so they keep playing).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  25. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

..yea i know, if it's going to be rated by apple 17+, do you think i'll lose a lot of downloads because of that? I'm not sure how it works, everyone under 17 wont be able to see my app in the appStore?

26. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

yea its a really nice game, professionally made -- I looked at credits and they had like 12 programmers not including artists, sound, qa, marketing, etc... I'm doing as much as I can and there will be power ups, trying to work something out with unlockables, but definitely I won't have coins I'm personally tired of seeing them in every single game -- coins, diamonds and all that stuff. I'll try to work something out with Points per run & Max multipliers earned being transfered into XP, maybe leveling up, and as you progress you receive those unlockable items..not sure yet. Too much work for 1 person, but I'll finish it! :)

GarBenjamin likes this.
  27. Zybox-Gaming

Zybox-Gaming

Well yes it will limit the audience therefor you will get less downloads. I would get rid of the blood personally and replace it with something like a the sheep coming to sit on him or something funny and more pg 13.

28. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Yeah I dont know why firma has such a big team but i always like there game at least the nun-attack ones.

29. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

thats something that I have to think about.... but I really really wanted blood ehh we'll see :/ and you are right pg13 would be more appropriate, and plus everyone likes funny quirky stuff

30. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

maybe they got big teams because they are not using Unity? ;) but their games are professionally made, extremely polished and lots of art and cutscenes.

31. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

2 new videos, with updated snow and rain.. and some 3D trees in the front.. please let me know how it looks
    (the UFO... i was just messing around with some stuff :) )

GarBenjamin likes this.
  32. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I guess but the average consumer won't care if the games made by one guy or hundred they only care about the end product and how it compares to the competition

33. 1HpLeft

1HpLeft

Hey

nice improvements, there is something that I find strange , there is ground that need your light to be visible and some that are full visible , is there a reason ?

34. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

That snow and rain look great! Could you give some details about them? Did you use an asset or did you create it from scratch?

35. Bossification

Bossification

The game has its creative aspects which is cool, and it seems very well programmed.... you're doing well but the animations need a bit of work imo...

36. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

Thank you 1HpLeft, I try. Those platforms (ground) I was just testing, I have 2 prefabs for each one: one with Default Sprite material and the other one with Sprite Diffuse, there will be sections in the game where either all of them are visible and sections where all of them need light in order to be seen. I though I would put the ones that need light closer to the "hardest" part of the game.

37. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

Hey thank you mate! I made mine from scratch, but I did download and learned from the free asset "Water FX Pack" to get the general idea of how to make it look good :)

Just play around with the Start size of the particle, Start speed, gravity multiplier, Max particles and Emission. Hope that helps, if not pm me I'll try to send you some screenshots of my Particle System settings.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  38. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

Thank you! :) I went through so much trial and error to get to the almost "final" look of the game. You mean running and jumping animations? I dont know why, but I tried tweaking the running animation so many many times already but cant get the feel that I want.... so I just lets it as it is and moved on to other things. I used Sprites & Bones asset for the sprite animations - its free and pretty good... but I dont know I'm not an artist nor a programmer lol but I do my best.

Please specify which animations need work, or just all of them: run, jump, double jump?
    Thank you for your comment! Appreciate it!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  39. Bossification

Bossification

The double jump animation is what stood out to me the most. The animations aren't bad which is a good thing, all you need to do is polish them up, i found an article that might help you, i used it to help my 3d animations but i'm sure the principals still apply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_basic_principles_of_animation

40. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

@Bossification

Thanks bro! Great link! Gonna look into it on the weekend, been working on the reward system and completely new IAP system.
    Cheers!

41. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

Just testing something... looking for suggestions and criticism as usual
    Note: when wolf eats the sheep ill add more sheep "particles" flying off and of course a new sprite for the sheep while being eaten (not just the body) this is just a test :) . Should it be to collect in-game-currency? That's the way I set it up right now... still thinking, time to release already :/

Thank you for watching!

42. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Progressing well 8bit. Sure wish we could play it. A lot more comments would probably roll in if you had a playable demo.
    I've resisted commenting because I'm currently prototyping a quazi-not-so-infinite runner and I didn't want corrupt what you're working on with stuff I have been experiencing.
    With that said I like your concept and the efforts you have given so far. I pretty much concur with the rest of the guys most notibly Darkays.

First impressions from the wolf eating the sheep.
    It'd be funny if the wolf got chubbier as he ate. :)
    Could this effect the mechanics in any way? Slow him down, speed him up, increase his energy, reduce his stamina, give him a special perk?

Maybe some unique power up/down ideas could spawn from that. That sounds a little atypical and distinctive compared to most other infinite runners. ;)

Continue with inspiring iterative work. Can't wait to play the demo!

43. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

Hey theANMATOR2b! First of all thank you! :) for comments and ideas, I really like the idea of the wolf getting fatter as he eats the sheep, I'll try to come up with something -- like a fart power up probably sort of a dash.. ehh I'm never gonna finish ;) been working on the reward system and IAP for the past week... hats mostly for now and continues of course. I gotta finish up and release it, but then again ill prob have like 30-50 downloads, cuz I'm not sure how "Melon Drop - jerry puprdrank" BS game with ZERO programming got such high reviews...I don't know what people like/want so I'm making something that I would play :)

I'll try to compile a "playable" webplayer demo on dropbox tomorrow.

Thank again!

PS. let me see what you working on!

44. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

Here's a new webplayer demo, first one was kind of unplayable, because it was too difficult and sheep were not done, etc. I didn't like it myself at all.

This one is more easy to play and features snow instead of rain, and with music! :)

Check it out here:
    https://06ffafbab75fe3e53d9a7994e53...st/0B8cya-Wk4rGVSUFtNFNCVkZEWkU/WebDemo2.html

CONTROLS: mouse left click - jump, click again double jump!

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. DOES THE SNOW LOOK OK? CONTROLS? AND OVERALL FEEL?

Thank you !!!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  45. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

46. 1HpLeft

1HpLeft

It's nice to play . Well done

I think the UI need some works , font is still pixelated, there is some style problem, like stuff coming out of diffrents game.

47. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

when I die I click on "continue playing" and then I go back to the game but the character is not there and I can't click on anything..

48. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

Thank you. The whole UI is not done at all, and animations are getting fixed along with the pixelated fonts. And I will remove those 3D trees which pass by in the front. Stuff coming out of different games, you meant? ? :)

webplayer demo was just for overall idea of the game, still a lot to fix up and change :) but thanx for trying it !

49. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

yea I am aware, thank you! That already been fixed, but I didn't upload a new version, in that one just buy a couple of continues in the beginning, open shop, at top click "ITEMS" and buy first one which says "CONTINUE" :)

this webplayer demo was just for running and jumping test purposes :)

50. 8bitCartridge

8bitCartridge

GarBenjamin likes this.