Search Unity

Looking for a cost estimate. How much would it cost to make this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LUTOPiA, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryiah

Ryiah

2. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

Where the hell does this exist

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

According to the site I found the image at, it is a Domino's in Wyoming.

4. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

I want a cost estimate to get one of these put in.

Ony and HemiMG like this.
  5. high-octane

high-octane

What's essentially an idea guy with a little money to throw about as long as one promises him the world on a plate. No thanks!

Ryiah and RJ-MacReady like this.
  6. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Just popped in to see what amazing advice our friend has received.... and the thread has now gone to... pizza. LOL! :)

Ony and R-Lindsay like this.
  7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

And to make a useful plan you have to understand the thing that you're planning. You seem to be really locked into this idea of throwing money at the problem to get it solved.

Money is useful and important, but how are you going to know what to spend it on without first taking the time to learn about game dev yourself? Right now all you can do is let other people of unknown experience levels guide you around by the nose. Based on what you've said about your prior experience this has already happened once or twice, and instead of taking a different approach your answer is to try the same thing again, but with more time, effort and money on the line.

You mentioned something like gambling away your life. How is what you're doing not that?

To some degree I agree with @Ony. If this is really what you want to do, then start doing it.

Alternatively, if you genuinely have a budget for this, why not look up a few professional developers to get quotes rather than asking randoms on a forum? With the figures you mentioned this would be a decent project for a small studio.

Ony and Ryiah like this.
  8. thxfoo

thxfoo

9. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I think Elvis has left the building... :)

RJ-MacReady likes this.
  10. LUTOPiA

LUTOPiA

This is from the document itself:

"This document is not meant to disclose all of the details for the game, it is meant to describe how the “core” game engine for Tribal Pride should work, so you will not find stats for pieces and balance spread sheets here."

It also states that it is not a game design document, but i guess that kind of mistake happens when you don't bother to read the document.

I know my path is risky, but it's full of possibilities since I just started these jobs a few months ago and only had to deal with one programmer that quit just as soon as he grabbed the low-hanging fruit. That's fine. The night is young.

I think the money path is much safer than sinking your time into programming in the hopes that one of your games will stick. At least i know that no matter what happens, i will always have a secured retirement plan as my foundation.
    Leave nothing to the fates. But hey, that's just me, i guess.

It's already covered in the design document. It links to the mockup which you can click around and navigate.

"Each piece that is sent to another player requires a certain amount of trade tokens and trade tokens cost real money. Naturally, trades that involve many pieces will cost more to both players than trades that have less pieces involved."

I thought I was clear but i guess not. Each player pays for each piece they send. Thank you for pointing it out.

I will eventually pay for computer-enforced moves, but manual enforcement is good enough for my playtesters for now.

Not for now. Chat systems are expensive and time consuming. Let them use Facebook chat.

Ok, I'll follow your advise except for the Visual Indication of Moves Made and the match-making system, I think the queue system is simpler and faster to do and that works for now. The Visual Moves thing is necessary as it is a fundamental mechanic of gameplay. It is not a turn-taking game, it is a simultaneous turn game.

Thank you for your thorough analysis and advise.

I'm not ignoring anyone's quotes. I am taking them into consideration.

That was years ago when my budget capabilities were much smaller. Things have changed quite substantially.

Wow. Thanks for the love, bro.

Hey, i never built a pool in my back yard before. Maybe i should not try to look for a contractor that can build me one.

Yeah, you're right. I got no intentions to fulfill my Kickstarter promise, which is why I have uprooted myself away from friends and family, traveled 4 states away to get one of the most horrible and dangerous jobs on the country, working 14 days in a row, 12 hours a day exposed to the elements while performing brutal labor for hours with no breaks (except for a short lunch) just to be able to meet the expectations and pay of a quality contractor. In fact, I have totally taken the advice i was given and started funding other, and smaller, games and totally forgotten about Tribal Pride, my Kickstarter promise and my backers, which clearly explains why i'm here, exposed, and having to deal with trolls like you.

What do you consider little money?

I can continue learning game dev, but it will be at a painfully slow pace, since i won't give up job security for the small possibility of one of my games going Super Meat Boy.

I just wanted to make sure that this design was lean enough and those post has already garnered the attention of a few helpful people that are giving me more advice and offering their services for project management and programming. Not everyone in the forum is hellbent in attacking the project, I'm glad to see some, like yourself, that want to help.

Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  11. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

Hah! Nice way to address everybody except me. Très cute. :oops:

12. wccrawford

wccrawford

You weren't contributing to the discussion. You were just trolling this thread. He made the right decision to ignore it.

LUTOPiA and Mycroft like this.
  13. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

Hmm... considering that this entire thread is one massive (and successful) trolling attempt I find that to be a very intriguing perspective.

14. Ryiah

Ryiah

Now if only he made the smart decision and didn't simply shrug off what everyone aside from Misterselmo stated.

I don't think it is a trolling attempt, but I do believe we are stuck with one very stubborn game developer who will never complete his project. Four years and counting with nothing to show for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if @Gigiwoo could take this same concept and produce it in his typical twelve week timespan.

RJ-MacReady likes this.
  15. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

I see well-intentioned posters who took time out of their days to try and be helpful, only to be criticized with gems like "Thanks for the love, bro" and greeted with sarcasm... yet, I'm the jerk for pointing it out.

@wccrawford - He didn't address me because he has nothing to say. I know trolling when I see it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    Ryiah likes this.
  16. high-octane

high-octane

Any amount is irrelevant, rather it's the sense of entitlement and the lack of gratitude you convey that is more problematic to your cause, more than anything else really.

Ony likes this.
  17. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I agree with what Ony and several other people have said. The best thing you can do is jump in and build a small game yourself. It is the only way you will get the experience you need.

There are two kinds of successful indie game developers. One is the experienced programmer who finds an artist to help fill in his/her gaps on the art side or learns enough about the art side to get it done. The other is the experienced artist who finds a who finds a programmer to help fill in his/her gaps on the programming side or learns enough about the programming side to get it done. Ideas guys who need help on both the art side and programming side tend to talk a lot but get nothing done.

After reading this thread and your previous threads, I am convinced you are one of those idea guys. The best thing you can do is try to learn some of the art and programming skills. Jump in and build something small. For example, build a very simple Pong game with Unity. Build it yourself without hiring anybody to do any aspect of it. This experience will give you a great deal of insight into the process. If nothing else, it will make it easier for you to work with the programmers and artists that you hire for larger projects. You definitely don't need to quit your day job to make a simple Pong style game. Do it in your free time.

Regardless of how much you work, you always have some free time to learn about Unity. Here are some possible times you could use:
    1) Learn Unity instead of watching TV.
    2) Learn Unity instead of playing existing games.
    3) Learn Unity on your laptop while you are riding on a bus, train, or plane.
    4) Learn Unity on your laptop while you are going to the bathroom.
    5) If you need to spend time with children, make it an activity where you show them how to build a small game using Unity. Many people do their own best learning when trying to teach a task to a kid.

Find 30-60 minutes per day to build a simple Pong game in Unity. You will find the time if you decide it is a priority for you. Good luck.

Ony, Ryiah, RJ-MacReady and 2 others like this.
  18. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

You're most welcome. It's nice to have someone who listens to and appreciates this stuff even though it's not what you want to hear.

When it comes to those offering their (presumably paid?) services for your project, please be wary. I imagine that threads like these are bait for unscrupulous people - they see you've got a budget, a need for assistance, and little professional experience of your own with which to evaluate them. Don't be easy pickings. Look for solid track records and perhaps speak to a couple of prior customers.

LUTOPiA likes this.
  19. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I'm not seeing a light at the end of this particular tunnel.

Dabeh, LUTOPiA and Ony like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.